Hitachi pump leak

poohy

Pump is 7 years old

it works fine

But leaking from bottom right screw/bolt on pump motor

Screws /nuts bolt completely tight

Miserable guy who repairs washing machines says pump is not repairable but hes terrified Of my dogs so may have just wanted to leave

Would be grateful for any ideas anyone?

Buying new pump is a very very last resort

20210709_093804.jpg

20210709_093759.jpg

20210628_164507.jpg

There must be a gasket behind that lid. Probably the gasket has eroded over time and that's why I'd leaks. 

As a DIYer myself, I'd undo those 6 screws, pull out the lid and see what I can see beneath it. 

I haven't worked with this pump ever before, but I am willing to bet there's a bad gasket behind it, and replacing with a new gasket will make it like new.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chiangraibob4 said:

There must be a gasket behind that lid. Probably the gasket has eroded over time and that's why I'd leaks. 

As a DIYer myself, I'd undo those 6 screws, pull out the lid and see what I can see beneath it. 

I haven't worked with this pump ever before, but I am willing to bet there's a bad gasket behind it, and replacing with a new gasket will make it like new.

Correct assumption on the gasket, but a new one is not easy to find, but is possible at dedicated pump/power tool shops.

Make sure you drain the pump completely before unscrewing the panel, and more importantly prime the pump correctly before powering up again after gasket replacement.

• Like 1

Cheers thats what i hoping i am searching for gasket if not i can make my own i have looked on line seems to be lots of gaskets for these pumps apart from this one that I want

I was just a bit put off by the guy who was supposed to know about watery things

Edited by poohy

12 minutes ago, poohy said:

Cheers thats what i hoping i am searching for gasket if not i can make my own i have looked on line seems to be lots of gaskets for these pumps apart from this one that I want

I was just a bit put off by the guy who was supposed to know about watery things

what city are you in?

15 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

what city are you in?

In the sticks 15km south of prachuap khiri khan there is an industrial pump repair company in town will try there  first if not there a global house/home( homepro which i hold no hope for) and a few other diy shops

I have looked on internet but cant find a gasket that matches so far

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, poohy said:

I have looked on internet but cant find a gasket that matches so far

I would contact hitachi. When I needed a part for my pump I contacted Mitsubishi, we diagnosed the problem on the phone and they sent the part EMS, it wasn’t too expensive 

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Mine is leaking from the top,again had a "plumber" check it but leak returned after a couple of hours.

Now it has decided to keep running continually until power switched off!

Fixed the pump contunually running! Overnight somebody must switched off the external water supply so no pressure to operate thehe switch. KISS works again.

The leak, there is no gasket,would silicone be an alernative?

• 1 month later...

We have a Hitachi pump at home leaking so I'm using the pix of OP's.

It's leaking at the bottom of the pressure switch cap it's been sealed before when there was other leaks elsewhere but has started leaking again.

Taking off the pressure switch cap can't see how the switch component can be taken off the cast mount it's on that has 3 screws.

Question is, is the switch and base all one piece when replacing.

20210628_164507.jpg.900fa78e44f8452ebc7bd0a4bfa84beb.thumb.jpg.a38d2ed4c6609b680526dfa92ef3fe89.jpg

I have a 5 year old Hitachi pump that I have repaired before, a leaking air bleed diaphragm, the parts needed I got from Lazada after a bit of searching. 

I started with a search of a part number off of a part on the pump and narrowed it down from there, might take a bit of time but eventually you'll find the correct joint or o ring for it.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

I have a 5 year old Hitachi pump that I have repaired before, a leaking air bleed diaphragm, the parts needed I got from Lazada after a bit of searching. 

I started with a search of a part number off of a part on the pump and narrowed it down from there, might take a bit of time but eventually you'll find the correct joint or o ring for it.

Yeah looking on Lazada I see the switches shown are the same, the switch itself is OK the water trickles out from between the cast base and where the switch sits but I can't see how it comes off.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah looking on Lazada I see the switches shown are the same, the switch itself is OK the water trickles out from between the cast base and where the switch sits but I can't see how it comes off.

The switch will unscrew of the diaphragm housing below it, remove the cap then the wires, unscrew the switch then the cap will come off after removing the 3 screws, might need some PTFE tape on the threads when refitting. I would buy a new diaphragm and some tape before removing as its a good chance its damaged.

Obviously turn the leccy off before prodding about with a screwdriver.

Edited by Adiudon
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

The switch will unscrew of the diaphragm housing below it, remove the cap then the wires, unscrew the switch then the cap will come off after removing the 3 screws, might need some PTFE tape on the threads when refitting. I would buy a new diaphragm and some tape before removing as its a good chance its damaged.

Obviously turn the leccy off before prodding about with a screwdriver.

Yeah thanks got it sorted and the same on / off type mitsubishi switch ordered on Lazada.

I hate anything to do with plumbing. ????????

1 hour ago, Adiudon said:

There was a choice I just picked the same on/off type 18 & 12 that's on our pump. 

On Utube a guy said if it's leaking from the base of the pressure switch where the the small screws are all around no point trying to fix it they are cheap enough just replace it.