Suvarnabhumi Airport : what is open inside now ?

khunphil

Hi,

I will arrive with a domestic flight at 4PM on Sunday, leaving around midnight to Europe. Is there any restaurant, food store, open in Bkk Airport ? Or is it a ghost airport ?

If all is closed, do you know any very close hotel to rent for 4-5h (as there is the curfew), if possible with own transportation ?

Thanks for sharing information,

Phil.

PS : I will check Agoda also

I flew from Bangkok to Chiang Rai this past Sunday.  Not much was open.  The food court that was at the start of the A gates is gone.  There was a convenience store (I think it was Lawson’s) open that had some food for sale.  Since I went from checking in to the gate area I didn’t notice what was available before going down the escalator to the gates

Hi I flew to London about two weeks ago.  I arrived at the airport 9-00pm.  In the public area as you come into the airport there were some cafes open.  I was not paying much attention - sorry.  I chcked in and went airside and everthing was closed except a Kiosk selling coffee/bottled water - absolutely nothing to eat.  The most irritating thing was that we were not warned about this before we went airside.   Maybe take some sandwiches with you.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Flew to the US last Saturday. Some of the fast food restaurants were open. I think they close at 9:00PM. After going through security, there was nothing open but duty free and one coffee shop. 140 baht for a coffee.

You can call 1722 an ask them.

I flew out of Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday. There were some some shops open on domestic arrivals, but after exiting just one coffee shop.

At departures, only shops open where Lawsons - pathetic choice of sandwiches, Boots and a coffee shop. After checking in at  8 p.m., Lawsons had already shut.

Airside, only found one gift shop and one coffee shop open. A hell of a lot of completely boarded up shops.

My advice, take a packed lunch and some snacks with you.

Hotels - i used Gold airport suites - in Lat Krabang - had efficient airport transfer - need to book - price 600 - 700 baht total. Hotel was practically empty, just  2 staff, the receptionist and the driver/porter. No food except some ready meals  and a microwave in the lobby.

Airport was quiet - social distancing easy until late afternoon, a bit busy evening.

If flying domestic, beware, had 2 flights cancelled, 3rd flight did fly, but it was Hobson's choice - it was the only flight that day - next day none. This may play havoc with timing your 72 hour PCR test. I got my result only  hours before my domestic flight and i was technically 56 minutes over the 72 hours when my last connection - Amsterdam to London - took off.

4 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I flew out of Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday. There were some some shops open on domestic arrivals, but after exiting just one coffee shop.

At departures, only shops open where Lawsons - pathetic choice of sandwiches, Boots and a coffee shop. After checking in at  8 p.m., Lawsons had already shut.

Airside, only found one gift shop and one coffee shop open. A hell of a lot of completely boarded up shops.

My advice, take a packed lunch and some snacks with you.

Hotels - i used Gold airport suites - in Lat Krabang - had efficient airport transfer - need to book - price 600 - 700 baht total. Hotel was practically empty, just  2 staff, the receptionist and the driver/porter. No food except some ready meals  and a microwave in the lobby.

Airport was quiet - social distancing easy until late afternoon, a bit busy evening.

If flying domestic, beware, had 2 flights cancelled, 3rd flight did fly, but it was Hobson's choice - it was the only flight that day - next day none. This may play havoc with timing your 72 hour PCR test. I got my result only  hours before my domestic flight and i was technically 56 minutes over the 72 hours when my last connection - Amsterdam to London - took off.

Could you tell me the procedure when boarding the flight to the U.K.

I do not currently have a telephone and will I need a telephone , for the purpose of tracing and contact in the U.K to be able to board the flight ?

OK, you need to show a hardcopy  72 hour PCR result and the PLF form - that can be electronic - mine was on the phone. Had to produce again when boarding from the transit stop. Ironically, didn't have to show anything at Heathrow. Do not forget to book and pay for your UK  2 day and 8 day covid tests.

Contact tracing - you need to provide a number for your covid tests and the PLF. Whether it works or not doesn't matter...... If like me your UK SIM expired while in Thailand, and my Thai SIM doesn't work in the UK, communication may be an issue -i have to rely on WIFI and messaging apps, until i can get a new SIM.

• Like 1

Flew out of BKK last week. Airside it's a complete wasteland, nothing but boarded up shops with the exception of a few duty free shops. Before security it is not much better; 7-11 in the basement is open (opposite of the Sky Train station). On the second floor, most restaurants are closed, some where serving food but did not allow customers to sit inside the restaurant. 

I landed domestically at around 13.00 and had an international flight at 03.00 in the morning, so quite a few hours to kill. As I did with previous trips during the pandemic, I booked a room at Novotel. Restaurants there were closed as well, but room service was available 24h. 

The lounge situation airside was not much better. It appears most official airlines closed their lounges and what's left is the shared Miracles lounges. So where I was looking forward to killing some time in the Qatar lounge, I ended up in the Miracle one. Better than nothing I guess. 

But yeah, it's a total ghost town at the moment. Getting food is a problem, especially later in the evening.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:17 AM, khunphil said:

Thanks to all , I was more interested by International transit.

I think I got now a pretty "sad" view of what is going on inside the transit area.

Thanks a lot for help

Phil.

The Priority Pass Lounges are open, of course you need to be a member to get in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

OK, you need to show a hardcopy  72 hour PCR result and the PLF form - that can be electronic - mine was on the phone. Had to produce again when boarding from the transit stop. Ironically, didn't have to show anything at Heathrow. Do not forget to book and pay for your UK  2 day and 8 day covid tests.

Contact tracing - you need to provide a number for your covid tests and the PLF. Whether it works or not doesn't matter...... If like me your UK SIM expired while in Thailand, and my Thai SIM doesn't work in the UK, communication may be an issue -i have to rely on WIFI and messaging apps, until i can get a new SIM.

Update - they have just contacted me on the house telephone number to check i am where i said i would be, although 90% of the telephone call was just reading me a list of disclaimers and list of what i couldn't do.

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

I plan to arrive in the UK without a UK phone number and go straight to my house , where I wont have phone connection or wifi and I wont be allowed to obtain connection .

Although I may be able to log in to a neighbours wifi .

I will be leaving a Country with a 1000 infections per day and going to a Country with 50 000 infections per day and I have to stay at some so I don't infect anyone else . 

More llike I should stay at home to AVOID getting infected . 500 000 people in the UK are likely to get infected during my ten day self quarantine 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I plan to arrive in the UK without a UK phone number and go straight to my house , where I wont have phone connection or wifi and I wont be allowed to obtain connection .

Although I may be able to log in to a neighbours wifi .

I will be leaving a Country with a 1000 infections per day and going to a Country with 50 000 infections per day and I have to stay at some so I don't infect anyone else . 

More llike I should stay at home to AVOID getting infected . 500 000 people in the UK are likely to get infected during my ten day self quarantine 

Yes, I am a bit miffed at the infection rate in the UK. it will be end of September before i will be properly vaccinated, a long period when i have to think about 'is it safe' to go out. You may not be able to complete your 2 day/8 day Covid tests purchase or complete the PLF without a number. If you have a Thai phone - not locked - you can buy a sim at Heathrow airport in the arrivals hall - 25 GBP. You will need to have internet access to register your test kits before posting them off.

8 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Yes, I am a bit miffed at the infection rate in the UK. it will be end of September before i will be properly vaccinated, a long period when i have to think about 'is it safe' to go out. You may not be able to complete your 2 day/8 day Covid tests purchase or complete the PLF without a number. If you have a Thai phone - not locked - you can buy a sim at Heathrow airport in the arrivals hall - 25 GBP. You will need to have internet access to register your test kits before posting them off.

Can I buy a phone, sim and internet connection from Heathrow ?

SIM yes. rest probably, didn't check that. Also consider buying something 'on the way' to your home. You will need to get some food - how will you order without a phone, internet? Do you have someone who can get a phone for you in the UK before you arrive?

For departure, air side, after immigration, 90% of the shops are closed, no food, only 1 shop open selling water, it's like a ghost town. Several duty free shops are open. Parts of the departure zone are not even air conditioned. Even the floor tiles are broken. Feels like a derelict abandon airport ready to close permanently. Photos taken July 4, 2021 about 7pm.

IMG_7628.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG

IMG_7630.JPG

IMG_7632.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7639.JPG

• Like 1