Korean Style Bbq Experience

uptou

the girlfreind & i went to one of those korean style bbq places the other night,the kind where you put the meat,seafood,veg on a dome shaped hot plate,89 baht per person,for as much as you can eat,& i mean as much as you can eat.after the girlfreind sent me up to the buffet counter for the 3rd time for another overladen plate of raw food (plus a huge cooked steak included) the seemingly,genuinely freindly thai waitress whispered to my girlfreind that if we didnt eat everything the staff would be docked wages.the girlfreind told me this was normal,but i was surprised at this & seing as the girlfreind eats like a mouse i was stuffed after eating like a pig,& after awile felt like i would need help to get out of the seat.i considered lobbing the food over the hedge next to us when nobody was looking,but in the end we battled through it valiantly,ending with me munching on a lump of uncooked cabbage,but the girlfreind said i could leave that,as cabbage didnt count,which kind of brought to the attention the slight absurdity of the situation.great meal though,& great value.

is the docking the staff wages normal for these type places in thailand?whats the deal?

I have not heard that the staff is docked wages at these all you can eat BBQ's. In Chiang Mai the rule is, it's all you can eat for the set price, but if you take something and then don't eat it, you will be charged additionally for it.

the girlfreind & i went to one of those korean style bbq places the other night,the kind where you put the meat,seafood,veg on a dome shaped hot plate,89 baht per person,for as much as you can eat,& i mean as much as you can eat.after the girlfreind sent me up to the buffet counter for the 3rd time for another overladen plate of raw food (plus a huge cooked steak included) the seemingly,genuinely freindly thai waitress whispered to my girlfreind that if we didnt eat everything the staff would be docked wages.the girlfreind told me this was normal,but i was surprised at this & seing as the girlfreind eats like a mouse i was stuffed after eating like a pig,& after awile felt like i would need help to get out of the seat.i considered lobbing the food over the hedge next to us when nobody was looking,but in the end we battled through it valiantly,ending with me munching on a lump of uncooked cabbage,but the girlfreind said i could leave that,as cabbage didnt count,which kind of brought to the attention the slight absurdity of the situation.great meal though,& great value.

is the docking the staff wages normal for these type places in thailand?whats the deal?

I reckon the restaurant staff were having a little side wager on whether they could make a foreigner eat so much he would sh!t his dacks. :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

Also, at a place that charges a very resonably amount for any kind of 'all you can eat buffet', it's nothing more than simple good manners to not waste food. Wasting food is a sin, period, and I cringe in buffet situations where there's a particular more desirable item (say, salmon at a japanese buffet) and someone piles the whole supply on to a plate AND perhaps not eat it all.

Mind, I'm not talking about 5 star hotels so much that make money no matter what, but especially the lower priced buffets inlcuding the Moo Kata / Korean BBQ. There's a buffet place in Chiang Mai that has just about any Thai food imaginable for a grand 39 baht, including drinks and desert.. Try not to be wasteful.

Edited by chanchao