Schengen Visa for Thai Person

13 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Spain requires sponsor to have residence TIE and police letter. Pain.

Italy requires only residence for sponsor. Form & Process Real Easy.

Whilst a person sponsoring an applicant for a Schengen Visa may well have to provide supporting documents, not all Thai applicants are sponsored, and as in the case of the OP, who is not a EU National, sponsors do not have to provide the evidence to which you refer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oldgit; due to very little OP info, I assumed for posting purposes OP was an expat, sponsoring a thai, you dont have to be an EU citizen to sponsor, only official resident, so jumped in with my own experience on the “easiest place to apply” part..... self - sponsoring i suppose must be allowed, just never heard of it before..... as stated from my personal experience the “rules” are certainly not uniform across countries.

20 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

oldgit; due to very little OP info, I assumed for posting purposes OP was an expat, sponsoring a thai, you dont have to be an EU citizen to sponsor, only official resident, so jumped in with my own experience on the “easiest place to apply” part..... self - sponsoring i suppose must be allowed, just never heard of it before..... as stated from my personal experience the “rules” are certainly not uniform across countries.

can an American sponsor a Thai person to go to EU? 

possibly yes. check Schengen Rules & Visa Form for destination country. do own research not TVF !

believe the “ possibly yes”  would require Sponsor having EU Official Resident  / Work Visa status or EU Family , in dest. country . btw I have actually done this stuff personally as EU Citizen ( before Brexit) & EU Resident (Still) ; sponsored my thai lady (mother of our son) many times for Spain & Italy........also got her a UK Ten Year Tourist Visa.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Yes they can, particularly if they're travelling with them.

I'm not sure that sponsoring is actually the appropriate term, you or whoever are actually providing financial support to cover the cost of the trip.

The applicant should demonstrate that they heve sufficient funds to cover the cost of the trip, some Member States have an actual daily amount. If somebody else is paying for the trip, they will need to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds and that it's appropriate for them to do so.

The applicant will need to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds for the duration of the trip, adequate insurance, booked accomodation for the duration as well as flight tickets to and from their home to the Schengen Area. If they intend visiting country, the UK for instance, they should apply for that visa first.

It's imperative that the applicant demonstrates strong ties to their own country, or country of residence.

You have to apply at the Embassy of whichever country you will first visit.  My wife has applied twice to Norway with no problem and once to France , again with no problem.  On 2 of those occasions I was accompanying her and made a note of that on the application.  She has travelled extensively and has a business and property here which I believe helps.

and “strong ties” to ( schengen-qualified)person they are travelling with, like long term proven relationship ( current emails / photos going back two years or so ). EU quite relaxed compared to UK but not daft. EU not simply going to allow in a non - EU holiday gf type with non- EU companion !

EU country will just assume gf being brought in EU to work illegally.

and this to note as well, both of you need to be fully vaccinated with a vaccine that is approved, and I think you might find that the Chinese rubbish is not included on that list, but not applicable to you now as Thailand is a RED country and all but Germans returning home, or people who reside here cannot enter

Entry from any other country for any purposse (including visits and tourism)  is only possible for fully vaccinated People. The traveller must have received the last vaccination dose that is necessary for full vaccination at least 14 days before the date of travel, and the vaccine the person has received must be among those listed on the website of the Paul Ehrlich Institute. More Information is available on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.

Edited by beano2274

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

You have to apply at the Embassy of whichever country you will first visit.  

That's not so, as I clarified earlier the applicant must apply via the Consulate with Juristiction for the main destination within the Schengen Area, for example if they are intending to fly into Paris, spend a few days there before travelling to Italy where they intend spending a week, they should apply via the Italian Consulate.

If however they are travelling and spending an equal amount of time in more than one Member State, then they should apply via the Consulate with Juristiction for the Entry Point in the Schengen Area, unless of course their entry point is their main destination.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

The Schengen visa is for relatively short visits and effectively a tourist visa so open to all applicants. Sponsorship generally relates to financial support either from an individual or a business.

Full details are in the Schengen Handbook which can be found quite easily on google.

19 hours ago, beano2274 said:

just remember that Thailand is now on the RED List for entry to Schengen Countries

That is not true, you are reading the headlines not the exemptions.

Each EU member state has their own entry criteria and many are making tourists from a non EU country an exception to the blanket ban.

Holland specifically states Thailand as a safe country, the UK is notable by it's absence from the list.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry

There is no dispute it is a volatile situation and potential travelers need to keep up to date.

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The Schengen visa is for relatively short visits and effectively a tourist visa so open to all applicants. Sponsorship generally relates to financial support either from an individual or a business.

Full details are in the Schengen Handbook which can be found quite easily on google.

90 days max.

19 hours ago, DaLa said:

You have to apply at the Embassy of whichever country you will first visit.  My wife has applied twice to Norway with no problem and once to France , again with no problem.  On 2 of those occasions I was accompanying her and made a note of that on the application.  She has travelled extensively and has a business and property here which I believe helps.

When was that?

22 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

90 days max.

Quite aware thanks.

I have done 4 Schengen visas for my wife when I was an EU citizen.

In 2015 had a thread running on a dispute I had with Germany and taken to SOLVIT, which resulted in a positive outcome for all family members of EU citizens.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 6:41 AM, NCC1701A said:

No, only as sponsor for a tourists visa, if you are not resident in a Schengen country; and you probably need to travel together as tourist visa sponsor.

Even if a Schengen national is not permanent resident anymore, for example has permanently moved to Thailand like I, only a tourist visa for the Thai national's visit is possible.

You can still be sponsor for a tourist and invite, but the Thai, who is seeking the visa, normally needs also to show proof of some level of funds, and affiliation to Thailand, i.e. like having a work the person needs to return to.

From my last experience as tourist in my home country and Schengen together with a Thai, the Thai national was going to seek visa by the country's embassy in Bangkok, where you are spending the longest period in Schengen. Some countries, if not all (should in principle be equally same for all Schengen countries), requires a full agenda covering each day of the stay, and pre-booked accommodation for the whole period. Upon approval of visa, a return ticket shall be shown, and travel insurance, and pre-payment for all accommodation (if not private invitation, which might be subject to further domestic scrutiny before being approved).

It was (much) easier to invite a little Thai girl to Schengen, when I was resident there...????

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 3:29 AM, theoldgit said:

Whilst a person sponsoring an applicant for a Schengen Visa may well have to provide supporting documents, not all Thai applicants are sponsored, and as in the case of the OP, who is not a EU National, sponsors do not have to provide the evidence to which you refer.

Most easy thing if possible is that Thai sitizen has enough money in bank to show she/he can manage in Country where he/she request visa.Then dont need think sponsor. Depend what kind visa. Time when Finland dont have empassy in Philippines i manage visa from Norway empassy. You have access in every Schengen country when you have visa.

I can confirm that  a non-EU citizen can be the sponsor (financial support) for a Thai citizen for a short-term (tourist)Schengen visa. I did that very thing for my wife 2 years ago and it was no problem. 
(Unless the rules have since changed.)

On 7/19/2021 at 3:07 PM, Heng said:

Thais I know used to say France was the easiest, but this was 2-3 years ago.   

I didn't apply through France as they wanted you to use their visa agents, so I applied directly  at the Italian Embassy although I was arriving in France first.

Again, some years ago.

• Like 1