Monkhood concerned over court’s freeing of imposters

geovalin

Chief of Phnom Penh  Mohanikaya sect  Monks Venerable Khim Sorn has expressed his concern and disbelief over a court’s decision to release 17 men and a driver who used Buddhism as a way to defraud local people in order to have money to buy drugs and personal luxuries.

“The public clearly saw that the 18 men were disguised as monks to cheat money from people, but the court just decided to only let them sign a contract to stop committing such acts again and released them. I do not understand the court’s decision,” he told Khmer Times yesterday.

Venerable Sorn said: “As a citizen, I hope the court will take stricter action about the crooks because the Monk Community has no authority over these 17 fake monks. These men are making Buddhists lose their faith in Buddhism, undermining the values of monks across the country and ruining the reputation of Buddhism which is the Kingdom’s religion.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50896565/monkhood-concerned-over-courts-freeing-of-imposters/

“As a citizen, I hope the court will take stricter action about the crooks because the Monk Community has no authority over these 17 fake monks. These men are making Buddhists lose their faith in Buddhism, undermining the values of monks across the country and ruining the reputation of Buddhism which is the Kingdom’s religion.”

In Thailand such undermining is a reserved occupation.....  maybe in Cambodia too?