Making new friends

JPR300

Hi All,

I'm emigrating to Phuket this July 2021 along with my mother who is in her mid 70's. I have family in Phuket and lived there myself for several years from 2005 to 2011. I know a lot has changed since I lived there and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on any social evenings or groups I could introduce my mother too when we settle in. Her interests are animals, animals and more animals and I would be lying if I said that she would not be spending most of her time trying to help the Soi Dog Foundation or Paws during our new life on the Island. If anyome can help here then please get back to me.

JPR300

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Do you have a legitimate route to Thai citizenship or permanent residence?

If not you will not be emigrating to Phuket, you will be a temporary visitor subject to constantly moving goalposts and requirements. Develop a "plan B" that does not involve Thailand. covid-19 is only the thin end of the wedge.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I bet you tell children Father Xmas is not real as well?

"Christmas" is all about making magic for children. There is no Santa Claus, Bigfoot or God, up to them to figure it out or not when they get their noodles up to speed.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why?... for those who meet the requirements staying in Thailand long term is a very simple process.

The simplest way 400k in the bank and marriage to a Thai, 800 k and retirement or 1 MB and a 20 year Thai Elite membership - all pretty simple. 

I had an Elite Card, then I was locked out, Turned into 10 months.

I would have signed up for another 5 years but it would NOT have helped me get back into Thailand any faster now Elite is a hindrance. A crazed nation of contradictions, I was warned, nobody said anything about a virus.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

“emigrating” to phuket.......meaning permanent residence..... or thai passport....

with aged OAP mother.....DURING  A SURGING PANDEMIC !....unbelievable.....

you ARE having a laugh, right? Lee Evans travel joke sketch perhaps......

Or Forrest Gump strikes again “ are you stupid son or just plain crazy ?”

certainly the funniest OP I’ve ever seen here..

had me going there though ....with all the Darby & Joan Animal Club stuff....

cue endless Mutley -type chesty laughter .......tears to my eyes...cheered me up no end, made my day, etc..... ......

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“emigrating” to phuket.......meaning permanent residence..... or thai passport....

with aged OAP mother.....DURING  A SURGING PANDEMIC !....unbelievable.....

you ARE having a laugh, right? Lee Evans travel joke sketch perhaps......

Or Forrest Gump strikes again “ are you stupid son or just plain crazy ?”

certainly the funniest OP I’ve ever seen here..

had me going there though ....with all the Darby & Joan Animal Club stuff....

cue endless Mutley -type chesty laughter .......tears to my eyes...cheered me up no end, made my day, etc..... ......

Not as bad as the media makes it, If you come from abroad fully vaxXed.

New arrivals are still coming to retire even now.

People have plans, you cant hide forever the virus is not going away.

• Like 1

“friendly” and “plans” got nothing to do with it.

” a civil question”, er, no, wind up or incredibly naive or poor language.

EMIGRATE means acquiring permanentl residence, work permission and nationality of the country you are relocating to....requires massive long preparation in your existing country .....but they are coming in next ten days......even an SPV or Visa Exemption case couldnt be completed in that time frame......plus dragging his dear old mum out here in all this.....

frickin’ hilarious.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, JPR300 said:

Her interests are animals, animals and more animals and I would be lying if I said that she would not be spending most of her time trying to help the Soi Dog Foundation or Paws

It seems she will soon be involved with lots of animals and probably lot of people who care about animals. It seems you don't have to worry about her social contacts.

Just make sure your mother is aware that there are also people who care about money for animals but they don't use it for the animals. 

• Like 1