Android 11 and no PC write access at my SD Card in the Samsung tablet.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus with Android 11. In the tablet is an SD Card. Wenn I connect the tablet to the computer via USB I have read and write access at the device memory. At the SD Card I have only read access.

Does not make sense to me. But I couldn't find a fix so far. In the tablet the SD Card works problem free. Any ideas? Sure I could take out the SD Card and connect it with a card reader to the computer. But this is not what I want. I didn't have this problem for instance with Lollipop. 

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

On the adaptor you plug into your PC there is a slide switch for read/write or your card is not mounted on your tab or the card is the wrong size ie to many gb????

The SD Card has no problem. Works problem free in the tablet and is there all the time. I guess it is more a thing with Android 11. I looked on the Internet and saw that I am not alone with this problem but couldn't find any fix. 

Google never cared much about SD Cards. Never forget when they suddenly under Android 4.4 implemented write restrictions for apps when the target was an SD Card. Endless users including me had a big problem. In Android 5 they partially reversed this then. 

It does not really make sense. You can write to the internal storage of the tablet using a PC. But writing to the SD Card is blocked. You can read it and can copy the files to the PC. But I need to copy files from the PC to the SD Card. 

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Scooped Storage Permissions, new in Android 11 maybe?

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/11/privacy/storage

I Googled android 11 read write access to sd card

I understand this with the permissions. And you get asked if the PC should have the permission. But this doesn't explain why there is a write permission for the internal storage but not for the SD Card. 

Oops. Scoped Storage

Google, read.

In Android 10, and 11 I did notice that the SD card gets formatted with some matching app storage directories. DCIM, Music, Pictures, etc. for example.

Can you write to those? Probably not.

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-all-files-access-permission-form/

Product Manager...

Edited by mtls2005

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Oops. Scoped Storage

Google, read.

In Android 10, and 11 I did notice that the SD card gets formatted with some matching app storage directories. DCIM, Music, Pictures, etc. for example.

Can you write to those?

Product Manager...

Will try in the evening and let you know. But even if this works it does not help me. And at the main memory there are no restrictions.

My goodness. I found the problem. I tried to rename AVI files on Android from the PC. This doesn't work at the internal storage and at the SD Card of the tablet. I can delete them on the Android device or copy them to the PC. But I cannot rename them. If I copy AVI files from the PC to Android I get the message shown in the attached picture. 

So it is not a permission problem. Android natively doesn't support AVI, WMV or some other media file extensions. Not sure what this has to do with a simple rename of the file name. There is no problem to rename such files in Android directly. Only if you try it from the PC it doesn't work. It doesn't really care about the codec of the file. If you change the extension from AVI to MP4 in Android for instance you have free access from the PC.

This is Google... Gets on my nerves... 

Or does Microsoft create the problem? Could be. ????

Problem.png

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I tried to rename AVI files on Android from the PC.

OK, this sounds like a different problem than the one which prompted you to originally post?

On 7/28/2021 at 12:16 AM, Mickeymaus said:

At the SD Card I have only read access.

In Android 10, I can copy AVI or MP4 from my PC to my SD card (Movies folder).

I CAN rename MP4s on the phone from within Windows File Manager

I CANNOT rename AVIs in the phone from within Windows File Manager

I CAN rename AVIs on the phone; I use Total Commander as my file manager on all Android devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en&gl=US

Based on all that it feels like a Windows thing?

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

OK, this sounds like a different problem than the one which prompted you to originally post?

In Android 10, I can copy AVI or MP4 from my PC to my SD card (Movies folder).

I CAN rename MP4s on the phone from within Windows File Manager

I CANNOT rename AVIs in the phone from within Windows File Manager

I CAN rename AVIs on the phone; I use Total Commander as my file manager on all Android devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en&gl=US

Based on all that it feels like a Windows thing?

The only thing I wanted to do was to rename video files that were on the SD Card using the Windows fiie manager on PC. And this didn't work. But I could copy them to the PC or delete them on the SD Card using the Windows file manager. Didn't make sense to me. Then I tried to copy just for test purpos an AVI file from the PC to the SD Card and then I got the Windows message. Then the problem got clearer. 

I think too that the problem is caused by Microsoft. AVI and WMV were both developed by Microsoft and both had the same problem. I see it as a Microsoft bug because just renaming the file on the SD Card shouldn't be blocked. Doesn't make sense.

Sadly this was the first time that I accessed files in this way on this tablet with Android 11. And this combination of AVI files and not being able to rename them didn't make sense. I renamed video files on the main memory of the tablet but they were MP4 and so it worked. I didn't care about the file extensions and so I did not realise that they were AVI in one case and MP4 in the other case. 

Typical for Windows - the system itself keeps you busy... ????