I Will Be Bold!

medicinebox

i don't think most Thai's have a problem with anyone... most are pretty easy going

Well said Rob. I too have had a gutful of the anti Thai sentiment from halfwits who persist in staying here. God knows why. If they are as angry as they say, head for the excitement of home.

The other thread got closed!

So I simply ask a question.

Do you think you (falang), like thais, more than they like you?

Honestly.

Not all posters on this forum are "falang", however I am and it depends on the individual. I like some Thais and there are others I don't like. I'm sure some Thais like me and others don't, however it's hard to know as Thais would generally be too polite to let me know of their dislike for me.

This topic is a very mixed bag of tricks. In general I think Thais like anyone who is friendly and can take or make a joke. Thais are wild about taking the piss as long as it doesn't disturb some cultural boundaries. However I do believe they put heavy emphasis on appearance and first impressions which is somewhat unfortunate, but hey, whatever. At least you have half a chance at making friends

here because everyone is a 'puen'.

At one level the sentiments of some Thais were expressed clearly by the young lady working in a hotel who declared that she didn't like falangs, but she liked falang money. They put up with us on a generic level because we have something to offer.

On the personal level however it seems to be as everywhere else in the world. Once you actually get to know people, mutual friendships grow and tolerance gives way to genuine relationships. For each pair of individuals, there will be more or less liking in either direction.

And so should this one.

Do I like Thais, Pommies, Yanks, Kiwis, Aussies, Frogs, Sand Gropers, Cane Toads, and Cockroaches.

Yeah, some of them, and I think others of the same persuasion are drongos.

Honestly.

In general yes!

I understand the mods being PC on this matter, but let us not fool ourselves.

Thinking in terms of 'them and us' in general terms can easily slip into stereotyping, it might be useful to discuss what makes people from different cultural backgrounds react differently in situations, and how are likes and dislikes expressed differently.

I have tried not to like Thais, but their friendliness just kind of wears me down and I give up. Then I try to like them more than they like me but I'm not sure if I'm successful at that or not. I guess that make me a loser! :o

I like their food more than they like mine.

It is not that way in my house,wife and kid[14 yo thai girl] think it is great that I can cook and really dig the farang chuck. even down to the chili con carne and pinto beans.

and I don't like Thai grub.

I like their food more than they like mine.

sure ain't that way at my house,wife and kid[14 yo Thai girl] think it is a good deal that I can cook and really dig the farang chuck,right down to the chili con carne con pinto beans..

And I do not like Thai grub at all.

Honestly.

And with good reason. What purpose does a thread such as this serve other than to open the door to post anti Thai garbage?

I have to agree with dr. pat pong, there has been entirely too much of that going on here already.

Do brits like aussies more than aussies like brits? Do americans like canadians more than canadians like americans ?

Why even ask such an absurd question?

We should all try and achieve a level of mutual respect and admiration.

If the originator were a pommie playing cricket against the Aussies he would have said I will be bowled" not "I will be bold". Although he probably could not in honesty have claimed to have balls if that were the case! :o

Honestly.

And with good reason. What purpose does a thread such as this serve other than to open the door to post anti Thai garbage?

I have to agree with dr. pat pong, there has been entirely too much of that going on here already.

Do brits like aussies more than aussies like brits? Do americans like canadians more than canadians like americans ?

I don't entirely agree with the comment "anti Thai garbage" as many of the posts that are/have been made, that are critical of Thai ways are very relevent and are not just anti Thai garbage.

If a subscriber has a view and states it why should it be described as garbage, if it is an accurate assessment of some of the things here in the realm.

And to "achieve a level of mutual respect and admiration" there must be something to admire and therefore respect.

Admittedly there are many things to admire and respect in Thailand however that does not mean that there are not also many things that people find to be at the very least, something that would difficult to respect much less admire.

There are some 200 countries in this small world of ours and each has it's own idiosyncrasy's.

To be able to make comparisons between the various countries and their people, one must first have spent a reasonable period of time in the countries that are being compared.

And that is not possible by just visiting for a 10-14 stay.

i.e. you will go a long way to meet more genuine people that are to be found in the caucasus region.

They too have suffered particularly since the fall of the Soviet Union however they have maintained (generally speaking) their honest and hard working ethics.

And as far as hospitality is concerned they are without equal.

Personally I find many things in Thailand that I can be critical of, additionally there are many things I like. consequently after doing the checks/balances and weighing up the pros & cons, I am not about top leave anytime soon.

Finally if there are some who see only the positives and cannot recognise the negatives it would suggest that they are wearing rose tinted spectacles.

Whilst it would be very nice to go through life seeing only the the good, at the end of the day thats not the way it is.

"life just aint like that"

Honestly.

I don't entirely agree with the comment "anti Thai garbage" as many of the posts that are/have been made, that are critical of Thai ways are very relevent and are not just anti Thai garbage.

If a subscriber has a view and states it why should it be described as garbage, if it is an accurate assessment of some of the things here in the realm.

And to "achieve a level of mutual respect and admiration" there must be something to admire and therefore respect.

Admittedly there are many things to admire and respect in Thailand however that does not mean that there are not also many things that people find to be at the very least, something that would difficult to respect much less admire.

There are some 200 countries in this small world of ours and each has it's own idiosyncrasy's.

To be able to make comparisons between the various countries and their people, one must first have spent a reasonable period of time in the countries that are being compared.

And that is not possible by just visiting for a 10-14 stay.

i.e. you will go a long way to meet more genuine people that are to be found in the caucasus region.

They too have suffered particularly since the fall of the Soviet Union however they have maintained (generally speaking) their honest and hard working ethics.

And as far as hospitality is concerned they are without equal.

Personally I find many things in Thailand that I can be critical of, additionally there are many things I like. consequently after doing the checks/balances and weighing up the pros & cons, I am not about top leave anytime soon.

Finally if there are some who see only the positives and cannot recognise the negatives it would suggest that they are wearing rose tinted spectacles.

Whilst it would be very nice to go through life seeing only the the good, at the end of the day thats not the way it is.

"life just aint like that"

I was refering to posters such as " sweet mango " who come in here and express such anti Thai views as to get themselves banned, not constructive criticisims.

I assure you I don't wear rose colored glasses, but why constantly bitch about something you cannot change?