White Spot...

Niloc

I bought 50 plaa dook fingerlings last Wednesday and today I noticed some of them have a white fungus. I remember this from my tropical fish days, we called it 'white spot' and the solution was a chemical mixed with the water which fixed it pronto.

Is this the same thing and how do I treat it?

Colin in Pai

I bought 50 plaa dook fingerlings last Wednesday and today I noticed some of them have a white fungus. I remember this from my tropical fish days, we called it 'white spot' and the solution was a chemical mixed with the water which fixed it pronto.

Is this the same thing and how do I treat it?

Colin in Pai

fungus and other ailments is quite common in fish stressed during transport or sudden drops in temperature. i found that deaths start to occur on the third to fifth day after delivery from hatchery, and when i used to buy the thai hatchery crap, i would treat prophylactically.-mostly if you weather te first few days you will be ok. you will battle to find methyline blue or other farang type treatments in thailand. if your fish are in tanks, you can treat with a 10part per million solution of formalin(formaldehyde)-- very safe, and you could go to a much higher concentration if you are feeling brave... -get this from your local hospital. don't bother to try treat the whole body of water- rather drop water level, dilute the formulin in some of the water, and spray evenly over the surface, slowly so that it is evenly distributed. after about 1 hour, purge the tank two or three times with fresh water. repeat treatment up to 6 times daily. even if you misdiagnosed the ailment, formalin will probaby sort it out, since it has powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties.in ponds your options are limited, and you would probably have to resort to liming, but i will leave it to the 'pond-farmers" to respond to your query, since i have limited experience in that field. DO NOT BOTHER TO USE THE WIDELY PRESCRIBED "OTC"- IT WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU!- promise!

my honest opinion though, is that you should just let the disease run its course, and if you have any survivors,-so be it. it will probably be cheaper and less hassle to buy some more fingerling from a different supplier.

Edited by frikkiedeboer

Thank you gentlemen, this morning I have no more deaths and the spotty ones look a little less spotty so I have decided to take your advice and do nothing, if they survive I will sell them as 'white spot resistant'!

Thank you gentlemen, this morning I have no more deaths and the spotty ones look a little less spotty so I have decided to take your advice and do nothing, if they survive I will sell them as 'white spot resistant'!

It is all in the marketing. The most highly prized catfish, "pla duk suea dou", on sale today only 80 baht per kilo. :o