What Are Thai Peoples Attitude To Cannabis?

IBMOPERATIONS

I hear that Thai dope is amongst some of the best in the world, but is it considered a dreadful 'evil' in this country?.....from what I have read the authorities seem to have taken an over the top attitude to it and use it as an excuse to extort money from tourists.

Is it readily available to the locals? (I hear it is from various markets?)

Anyone any experience of this good or bad?

I would not know anything about it, I have lived here for a number of years and have never seen anyone smoke it,or heard of anyone selling it or anyone looking to buy it.

But of coarse I do not operate in those circles anymore, so there is a chance that it is plentiful,good quality, and at a nice price, But I want to live here free until I die,so therefore I probably won't ever have any knowledge of the market status.

I myself use no mind altering chemicals anymore,but if folks want to smoke it or shoot it or what ever,feel free,but do not ever bring it around me or my home. :D:o

I hear that Thai dope is amongst some of the best in the world, but is it considered a dreadful 'evil' in this country?.....from what I have read the authorities seem to have taken an over the top attitude to it and use it as an excuse to extort money from tourists.

Posted on Thu 2004-06-24, 06:58:14

I would not know anything about it, I have lived here for a number of years and have never seen anyone smoke it,or heard of anyone selling it or anyone looking to buy it.

But of coarse I do not operate in those circles anymore, so there is a chance that it is plentiful,good quality, and at a nice price, But I want to live here free until I die,so therefore I probably won't ever have any knowledge of the market status.

I myself use no mind altering chemicals anymore,but if folks want to smoke it or shoot it or what ever,feel free,but do not ever bring it around me or my home. 

I do hope this answers all your questions re the buying and smoking of cannabis in Thailand please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and get these measured and informative responses.

However if you plan on an extended stay in Thailand, say twenty years or so in conditions that are far from luxurious, the advice you will be given about about proscribed drugs is don't do it.

I assume ganja is still readily available in the isolated hard core young tourist areas like Koh Phangan. Me doubts it is readily available elsewhere. It is not consumed by most Thai people except for in Isaan where poverty is more rampant. Ganja is not tolerated by the Police and you are just asking for trouble by using anywhere in the Kingdom.

I have not heard of much extortion over the past 10 years or more. Some 20 years ago there was a German scheisskopf who worked with the Chiang Mai police to extort money from young travelers. The Police would raid the guesthouses early in the AM and those foolish enough to be caught would be driven around in a Police car with the German guy who would act as the translator and ask for 10,000 baat or send you to jail. But again, it has been ages since I have heard of any such extortion schemes. But to have possession of such an illegal drug in Thailand, well caveat emptor.

If you want to get high in Thailand or any other foreign country you take your chances. If you are in a Thai city or town where there is a police presence then there is a chance you will get busted. Do the math as I am sure you would prefer to pay an "exorbitant fine" than risk incarceration in a Thai penal institution and assume many other Thai people believe the same way and might be tempted to profit form such a situation.

May I suggest Mae Khong sodas as a delightful legal alternative. Or for something more fruitful go to Mae Salong to buy some lynchee wine. Then start with a Khao San Rd fruit smoothie or shake and add soda, some lynchee wine and some Mae Khong. Do this at night and then look for an equally smashed tuk-tuk driver to take you for a ride around the city.

I assume ganja is still readily available in the isolated hard core young tourist areas like Koh Phangan. Me doubts it is readily available elsewhere. It is not consumed by most Thai people except for in Isaan where poverty is more rampant. Ganja is not tolerated by the Police and you are just asking for trouble by using anywhere in the Kingdom.

I have not heard of much extortion over the past 10 years or more. Some 20 years ago there was a German scheisskopf who worked with the Chiang Mai police to extort money from young travelers. The Police would raid the guesthouses early in the AM and those foolish enough to be caught would be driven around in a Police car with the German guy who would act as the translator and ask for 10,000 baat or send you to jail. But again, it has been ages since I have heard of any such extortion schemes. But to have possession of such an illegal drug in Thailand, well caveat emptor.

If you want to get high in Thailand or any other foreign country you take your chances. If you are in a Thai city or town where there is a police presence then there is a chance you will get busted. Do the math as I am sure you would prefer to pay an "exorbitant fine" than risk incarceration in a Thai penal institution and assume many other Thai people believe the same way and might be tempted to profit form such a situation.

May I suggest Mae Khong sodas as a delightful legal alternative. Or for something more fruitful go to Mae Salong to buy some lynchee wine. Then start with a Khao San Rd fruit smoothie or shake and add soda, some lynchee wine and some Mae Khong. Do this at night and then look for an equally smashed tuk-tuk driver to take you for a ride around the city.

It is everywhere in Thailand, but is it worth the "time" if you get caught??

Me think not :o

As cannabis procurement and use is very much an illegal activity in Thailand, Thaivisa is not the place to discuss it.

I do note that the original poster phrased the topic title quite well, about 'Thai people's atitudes' which might *just* be ok as a topic. But then when it gets into availability then it definitely crosses a line.

Note that I don't have an opinion on this myself. Feel free to discuss it amongst yourselves in private, but I regret that Thaivisa cannot serve as a forum for this topic, and I apologize for this. I have to close the topic.

Edited by chanchao