Shoud I Buy Digital Cam At Suvarnbhumi Airport Or From The City ?

Arriving in BKK on 12th June, 2007, and wish to purchase one decent digital camera ( price range USD 200/= to USD 300/=) for my personal use during the trip and later on as well.

On these forums I have seen number of comments stating that cigarettes and alcohol is expensive in Arrivals Duty-Free of Suvarnabhumi than they are in the city. Does the same scenario applies to Digital Cameras too ?

My point of view is that when I purchase this item from the airport, I am sure to get a genuine item, but if I buy the same from the city, then I have to look for an original dealer, as some shop-keepers might sell me a fake one or change the lens or something.

If possible please guide me about name, address, telephone of some genuine outlets sellings genuine Canon / Nikon / Sony Digital Cameras in the city. I will be using my credit card to pay for the camera.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

Andrep

My point of view is that when I purchase this item from the airport, I am sure to get a genuine item, but if I buy the same from the city, then I have to look for an original dealer, as some shop-keepers might sell me a fake one or change the lens or something.

If possible please guide me about name, address, telephone of some genuine outlets sellings genuine Canon / Nikon / Sony Digital Cameras in the city. I will be using my credit card to pay for the camera.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

Andrep

Who scared you so badly? CNN? Have you ever been to Thailand?

I still have to see (or hear of) anyone selling fake digital cameras.

To buy, any and every shop will do. Prices in the city are identical in largest and smallest shops, no reason to shop around. That price is almost like that at the airport, although there they may throw in a pouch, maybe free memory stick.

If you go to MBK there are three or four good camera shops there including an official Nikon one. Off the top of my head, one on the ground floor and 3 on the 1st floor.

And if you pay cash you could get extra extra thrown in. Try Pantip as well, 1st floor and 2nd floor seemed to have the best deals when I was looking around.

Just remember smile, be jolly and treat it as a laugh not life and death and you may get a better deal than you think.

Edited by bluebear

In my most humble opinion andrep, I wouldn't buy a bleedin' thing from the Airport when you arrive; not even a can of Pepsi! Respectfully I'd take bluebear's advice and try Pantip Plaza or MBK; you'll be just fine there AND you'll probably be able to receive bona fide warranty from the manufacturer's representative on site!

One final point, don't forget to get your VAT document for your purchase(s) - so you can claim back the 7% tax you paid just as you exit LOS. You'll find a number of VAT refund counters at the Airport on your departure. :o

In my most humble opinion andrep, I wouldn't buy a bleedin' thing from the Airport when you arrive; not even a can of Pepsi! Respectfully I'd take bluebear's advice and try Pantip Plaza or MBK; you'll be just fine there AND you'll probably be able to receive bona fide warranty from the manufacturer's representative on site!

One final point, don't forget to get your VAT document for your purchase(s) - so you can claim back the 7% tax you paid just as you exit LOS. You'll find a number of VAT refund counters at the Airport on your departure. :o

IME, buying a camera at the airport would be at the same price as in the city, those 7% refund is roughly what they match with a "free" memory stick and some other little things. International warranty, and manuals in English, power plugs of choice, of course, on the spot.

Not that one should hang on until at the airport but, if already there, no problem to buy in a duty free.

On such a small item, the refund would be 20$, if that ,and the memory stick alone, if the cam is bought in the city, would cost more than that.

I wouldn't buy anything at the airport other than food and beers waiting for a flight. Much better to go into the city in my opinion. I don't find cameras to be significantly cheaper in Thailand anyway so I always shop at home.

The only fake Canons I've seen were being sold on Ebay from Florida.

A friend of mine bough a new Sony high end camera. It was a genuine Sony for sure but it turned out to be what they call gray market. He was happy with the camera until he had a problem and it turned out to have no warranty. His Thai wife is a pretty high powered woman (money) and they eventually gave him a new replacement. No telling what kind of problems she would have caused the dealer.

The only fake Canons I've seen were being sold on Ebay from Florida.

This is because you haven't been to Naples - Italy ;-)

Anyway,

When I checked the best prices where in Pantip, forget the airport. Also, consider these factors:

1- Generally speaking no warranty outside Thailand (or maybe SEA if you are lucky!)

2- If you are coming from US...buy there.

3- Not every shop will give you the VAT refund slip. I don't know why..but sometime it happens to be cheaper in that way...the shopkeeper will discount you the VAT and that all (they did for my gf motorola V3)

g.

It's amazing how much the prices of electronic goods has dropped in the last 12 months. Definitely buy one at home in USA. Shop around - get the one you like - I have a Sony. Get a 1Gb memory card with it and learn to use it.

Make sure you get a recharge unit with it and get some spare rechargeable batteries. If you have a laptop, make sure you can download the pictures (and videos) from your camera to your computer.

Peter

It's amazing how much the prices of electronic goods has dropped in the last 12 months. Definitely buy one at home in USA. Shop around - get the one you like - I have a Sony. Get a 1Gb memory card with it and learn to use it.

Make sure you get a recharge unit with it and get some spare rechargeable batteries. If you have a laptop, make sure you can download the pictures (and videos) from your camera to your computer.

Peter

This is the best advice, I looked long and hard for a new camera in Thailand then I surfed the net to check the rest of South East Asia. The cheapest were on ebay, sold from Malaysia... wasn't keen on that but got a comparable price in Australia, bought it and got a 10% tax refund at the airport on leaving.

Buy in the States and check if you can get a tax refund...and you get to play with it before you get here!

Hey

If your in the States, drop by a Costco, they have a great selection of cameras at good prices and all with a 90 day no quibble refund policy. Buy, try, if you don't like it, return it and try another one.

They also sell online at Costco.com and if you return an item bought online, to a warehouse, they even refund your shipping.

Great company in my opinion to do business with.

Kind regards

Peter

Hey

If your in the States, drop by a Costco, they have a great selection of cameras at good prices and all with a 90 day no quibble refund policy. Buy, try, if you don't like it, return it and try another one.

They also sell online at Costco.com and if you return an item bought online, to a warehouse, they even refund your shipping.

Great company in my opinion to do business with.

Kind regards

Peter

FWIW the OP appears to be from Pakistan. The only option appears to be in Thailand at a duty-free shop or in town.

I'd recommend narrowing the search for a camera to two or three models. Become familiar with the model numbers and pricing (I'd use eBay to get a rock-bottom, "buy-it-now" price in USD.) Then take a look at some of the shops (a real camera shop, not a counter shop) in MBK, a large shopping center in town. There are at least five quality, reputable camera shops in MBK. I think you will find a wide selection in town vs. at the airport. Only you can determine what is a good value for you. The 7% VAT is usually included in the final negotiated price, and can possibly be recouped at the airport upon departure provided the shop is willing to issue the appropriate paperwork.

The warrant issue is something to be aware of, but for the most part I think these cameras only have 90 day warranties anyway so am not sure how big a deal that is. Maybe try the camera out here within a day or two, then return/exchange if faulty.

You could take a look at this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61857 to review some of the on-line shops to get familiar with availability and pricing.

This will be of interest to Kiwis and any people visiting New Zealand.

I am a NZer and gave up buying cameras and the like when o'seas. NZ shop prices are as good as anywhere. Booze too. Duty free at Suvarnabhumi is rip-off.

It is possible to bargain with most retailers of electronics, caneras etc in NZ.

Most importantly you get a valid warranty. Peace of mind.

MBK and Pantip are great for accessories, I buy there every trip. Ink for refilling cartridges and other consumerables.

If you are heading this way, go to DSE, Bond & Bond and Harvey Norman where you will get a deal, a good deal, better than duty free. All are in most malls.

Check out DF prices and start an offer somewhat less. Gofrit.

Happy shopping

Kiwi Pete

I am a regular traveller from Malaysia to Bangkok.

This is just for your info on Digital cameras and Branded Laptops.

The prices of these two products are much dearer in Thailand.

If you happened to be in KL, or Penang, you would get a much better bargain.

On top of that, they would give extras, like one Gig memory, a bag, and etc.

For example, I saw one branded laptop in Bangkok being sold at RM3000.00 plus.

whereas I could get in Malaysia for less than RM2500.00. Plus other goodies.

In Malaysia, we always buy computers at " Authorized " Dealers or at " Authorized Excellent

Partners " dealers. Prices are fix prices...... and you can always demand some extra small goodies.

Some will give you One year " International Warranty ". For locals, they are given one year " On-Site " Warranty.

That means, they come to your office or house to repair your set.

Do Thailand have this " On-Site " warranty ? I would very much like to know. Thanks.

Bty, I noticed that the Japanese tourists would have a field day buying these Japanese digital cameras here.

The reason is that, their Japanese camera here is very much cheaper than buying in Japan.

Excuse me, but who in their right mind would wait to travel to a foreign country to buy an overpriced camera at the main airport?

I hope it's not you.

Take my advice: buy your camera and any accessories AHEAD OF TIME over the internet, and bring it with you.

Prices for cameras, computer equip., electronic gadgets, etc. are ALL at retail prices or HIGHER in Thailand.

Especially at Suwannaboondoggle Airport.

Excuse me, but who in their right mind would wait to travel to a foreign country to buy an overpriced camera at the main airport?

I hope it's not you.

Take my advice: buy your camera and any accessories AHEAD OF TIME over the internet, and bring it with you.

Prices for cameras, computer equip., electronic gadgets, etc. are ALL at retail prices or HIGHER in Thailand.

Especially at Suwannaboondoggle Airport.

The OP appears to be posting from Pakistan. Perhaps the shopping opportunities are not so good there?