Prior Dengue Fever - Increased Risk of Symptomatic Covid-19

dabhand

Came across this study that concludes that having had dengue fever in the past, people are twice as likely to develop symptoms of covid-19 if they are infected by the novel coronavirus.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210518/People-Who-Have-Had-Dengue-Are-Twice-As-Likely-To-Develop-Symptomatic-COVID-19.aspx#:~:text=Prior dengue infection considerably increases risk of symptomatic COVID-19,-Download PDF Copy&text=A study published this May,infected by the novel coronavirus.

I was unaware of this possible link but, given that I contracted Hemorrhagic Dengue Fever in 2013, it certainly caught my attention. I was in hospital at BPH for five days and, being in my late 60's, I am happy that I am finally due to have an AZ jab at MedPark Hospital in a week's time. 

Edited by dabhand
  • Like 1

in tropics everybody gets dengue every 9 years (statistically).

For over a year there were almost no covid, serious hospitalisation and deaths in thailand (and neighbouring countries).

I would believe, that dengue, some other viruses, and vaccinations used here in childhood and adulthood, gave them partial protection against covid.

I had dengue in 2017 and 2018, also I had 3 dengvaxia at the time.

The last year I had also 2 suspected covid infections, with very mild symptoms.

I would advice everybody living in tropics for a minimum 9 years or those with confirmed dengue to have dengvaxia