Returning to Thailand w/Covid-19 Full Thai Vaccination AZ

I have some questions regarding a Thailand return.

I have been/and am residing in Thailand and married to a Thai woman, and we have a child. I have been on a 'B non-imm' visa, and extension-of-stay (stamped Thai Wife) for many years, which I will renew once again on Sept. 22, 2021.

By Oct. 20th 2021 I will have also received my 2nd jab of AZ vaccine via Phyathai2 Hospital, and plan to depart for the US for 7 days in mid November.

With a re-entry permit, what does reentry entail:

• Will I need to purchase covid-19 insurance being fully vaccinated via Thai Gov?
  • Will I need to quarantine for 14 days in an authorized hotel?
  • Is there anything else I will need to re-enter Thailand?

Thanking you in advance

• Sad 1

Thanks Joe!

Not what I wanted to hear. I went out of my way to get a Thai authorized vaccine thinking that we produce valiadtion. Would have much preferred a US made one. 

Covid insurance and 14 days in jail...can't wait.

As I understand your post, you are asking about the requirements to enter Thailand in late 2021/early 2022. Some may be confident they can answer that question. Personally, if you were asking about the requirements to enter in September, I would say that it is too early to tell. If a bad new variant comes along, Thailand might refuse arrivals for all foreigners. That is a worst case scenario, but many requirements short of that might be imposed.

You know, when the 'surge' started and we were getting close to up to 500, 600, 700 cases a day, General Coup d' Tat (with the advice of General Rolex, over martini's I'm sure) stated "not to worry, we have everything under control".

And now seeing todays numbers, confirmed for me that nothing is going to get better for a long, long time. And that a Thai will never tell you something that you can ever hang your hat on. 'I only have myself to blame' is the sub-title to my 'Lonesome Lockdown Blues' song that I sing here in the land of Lilliput.

Have you ever noticed that no matter how long you stay in LOS, that you can still be caught off-guard and taken in by what comes out of the mouth of a Thai?

• Thanks 2

At the moment you would be qualified (as one fully vaccinated) to re-enter Thailand via the Phuket Sandbox, 14 days restriction to the island of Phuket but no quarantine.  It's really too early to know what the situation will be when you will be returning, but keep in mind the possibility of Phuket Sandbox.

Skatewash, yeah the possibility of that occurred to me the other day. Thanks for the reminder to follow up on that. So far the cheapest reasonable quality and size I could find in Bkk is 37,000 for 15 days prison, including meals and tests.

Any recommendations regarding cheap but adequate abode(s) in Phuket...?

4 minutes ago, tkramer said:

Skatewash, yeah the possibility of that occurred to me the other day. Thanks for the reminder to follow up on that. So far the cheapest reasonable quality and size I could find in Bkk is 37,000 for 15 days prison, including meals and tests.

Any recommendations regarding cheap but adequate abode(s) in Phuket...?

It's important to distinguish between quarantine (ASQ/ALQ) and the Sandbox program.  ASQ or it's equivalent outside of Bangkok (ALQ) requires staying in a hotel room for 14 days.  Sandbox does not.   There is no quarantine associated with Sandbox (other than waiting in your hotel room for results of airport covid test, approx. 6 hours).  However, you do have to stay in an SHA+ accommodation for 14 days and signup in advance for 3 RT-PCR tests (approx. 8,000 baht).  The cost of Sandbox hotels is generally much cheaper than ASQ (because medical services, 3 meals/day are not required or included).  ALQ in Phuket is very expensive.  Sandbox hotels are not.  You can look on any booking site (booking.com, agoda.com etc.) and look for SHA+ certified hotels or you can use the SHA+ hotel site.

https://www.shathailand.com/

On 7/31/2021 at 10:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you have insurance from your job that will cover covid 19 treatment up to 3.3 million baht that could be used to get a certificate of entry.

Joe, it's my understanding that Covid jabs here are insured, unlike, say, in the US with no liability for companies. Another issue is that the US never used AZ so it is not approved there; the fact that AZ is approved by COVAX should be enough for travel. Personally, with a sufficient interval after two AZ doses, I'd still try to snag a Pfizer dose in the US before coming home to our current hellscape.