The Steps To Buying A Bike... Is It This Easy?

thomo

I'm currently in Khon kaen and strolled into a bike shop today and saw a nice Yamaha TZR 150cc, 6 yr's old, with all brand new visuals(undamaged solid faring, brand new tyres, chain and sprockets etc.). Bloke said 20k, so I'll take it to a mechanic and if all's well I'll take it.

I'd think the steps to buying a bike would be something like:

1. Go to the shop with my money, passport. Sign and take all the paperwork.

2. Go to the local vehical registration office, with the paperwork, passport (non-imm B visa - no work permit or anyother doc's) and pay some kind of admin fee.

I'll guess it's not that easy tho'.

Also, providing a valid drivers licence could be a bit of a stumbling block if required.

Anybody know if there's any other steps that'll need to be taken?

Thanks.

I'm currently in Khon kaen and strolled into a bike shop today and saw a nice Yamaha TZR 150cc, 6 yr's old, with all brand new visuals(undamaged solid faring, brand new tyres, chain and sprockets etc.). Bloke said 20k, so I'll take it to a mechanic and if all's well I'll take it.

I'd think the steps to buying a bike would be something like:

1. Go to the shop with my money, passport. Sign and take all the paperwork.

2. Go to the local vehical registration office, with the paperwork, passport (non-imm B visa - no work permit or anyother doc's) and pay some kind of admin fee.

I'll guess it's not that easy tho'.

Also, providing a valid drivers licence could be a bit of a stumbling block if required.

Anybody know if there's any other steps that'll need to be taken?

Thanks.

You will also have to go to the immigration office with your paid paperwork 3 current pictures your Rental agreement or proof of ownership & fill out residency papers as it is required by the imm. offices

Make sure to have one of the original papers from immigration (you probably need (3) 2 originals for the bike purchase & one for the drivers license dept.

Any reason why you are purchasing an ancient bike? If a new engine is only 4,000 baht what is a 6 year old small bike worth? Bigger bikes are a different story as they only go down so much & someone always wants a road bike - 400 steeds & up. Every year after a bike is 5 years old (or car) you have to go in and have a yearly inspection & basic safety check. You can probably get a bike like that for 40,000 or less with 1 or 2 years on it & it would be a hel of a lot easier to turn it when you do, parts are also easier to purchase as I am sure parts are dated on that model do to model changes, the suppliers stop carrying parts & you have to hunt for them. Even if they redid everything the next farang to repurchase the bike from you would be beating you down for it being 6 + years old.

I backed down on a bike deal that was a 2001 totally redone when I found out my shop told me redone it would only be worth 30-40,000 & they were asking 60,000 & I didn't want to be the one holding the bag. I turn my bikes every year as it is such a minor expense. No I am not rich, but in 3 years I only needed inner tube patches or a tube, Beats waiting around for a jet in the carb. Or a starter!

Good luck on whatever you decide on. You should get a lot of good advice on your procedures with immigration & drivers licensing. This is a great forum!

Beardog

The normal procedure is, that the dealer will change the registration for you. But many dealers never did that for a farang and will ask you if they can register it in the name of your wife. Do that if you have a wife.

If you do not have a wife, you need a letter from immigration (in Nong Kai, Udon or Korat) stating your permanent address in Thailand. I tried this in Nong Kai some years ago and was turned down, because I do not extend my visa on an yearly basis, but go to Switzerland to work every 3 month. This letter is given to you only, if you are on a non-immigrant visa and extend your permission to stay every year. At least Nong Kai does it like that (Udon is a branch on the Nong Kai immigration); I don't know about Korat - the interpretation of the rules may differ from one immigration office to another.

If they give you this letter, it does not cost anything and you do not need anything special, just passport, maybe one or two photos etc. It is more a question if they give it to you at all.

With the letter from the immigration it should be possible to register the bike in your name. Some registration office never did that before and will try to avoid it. If it does not work in Khon Kaen, you may try Ban Phai, 40 km south of Khon Kaen. I asked about this at the registration office in Ban Phai and they said then: 'no problem, just bring us the letter of permanent address certification from immigration'.

Regards

Thedi

20k.. My feeling is this bikes papers may be no good.. Do not pay any (or more than you cn walk away from) until its in your name..

Many many bikes have papers that are either, pure bent, stuck in a name that cannot move, or many other shades of grey..

20k for a TZR 150 seems too cheap to me.. I would pick up on that if its was clean books and good running.. Then again phukets more expensive for everything.

20k.. My feeling is this bikes papers may be no good..

I agree, any imported bike with OK papers would cost more. The papers alone would be at least that.

But for only 20k you may take the risk. As long as you know what you do.

BTW: the prices for imported bikes are the same in Phuket and Khon Kaen.

Regards

Thedi

Edited by thedi

BTW: the prices for imported bikes are the same in Phuket and Khon Kaen.

Not in my experience.. I have bought a car in CM that I could almost double my money on sold here.. i was offered a bike 900cc sportbike that was min 50% cheaper than down here.. Seemed to me CM and KK type areas where about same or even lower than BKK.. Phuket is a farang bubble with very inflated prices on everything.

20K is actually alot for a TZR150,only buy if its extremely well maintained and very clean.Usually these old 2 stroke Yamahas can be found for 10-15k.

Personally I would prefer the TZM or NSR as they are better looking bikes.

I think if you just take all your documents with you when you buy the bike,the shop should arrange all the registration etc for you.Thats what happened when I last bought a bike 2 years ago.

If it is a reputable shop he will provide the bike a red plate for a small fee. I think it is 100 baht-300 baht for red & then white plates (if the bike doesn't already have a plate on it already) That way let them go or send in papers to the driver services dept. that way let them deal with the over 5 years old part at least for the 1st year. On any shop deals in Pattaya it seems to be the status quo here.on personal deals I would doubt it. also I think you may get lucky on most of the fees as Pattaya & Bkk charges fees & the smaller rural area's (cities) don't get the grease the wheels tax! Lucky Dog!!!

Edited by Beardog

I'm thinking about possibly buying a bike from a private seller, he is not in the country now and has left the paperwork for the bike with someone else who he says will transfer them for 2000 baht.

My question is can I not just get the paperwork from this guy and transfer it myself ?

I'd put the bike in my GF's name and she can deal with the language problem side of the transfer.

Bikes dont get red plates at all, and this bike is second hand so it will have plates already.

The guy needs to sign some paperwork so you can take care of the transfer at the department of transport without him being there. If he cant sign then he has to be there. So if he hasnt signed the bits of paper then your stuck untill he gets back. Theres no reason why you should pay someone else that much to do it.

Edited by madjbs

Bikes dont get red plates at all, and this bike is second hand so it will have plates already.

The guy needs to sign some paperwork so you can take care of the transfer at the department of transport without him being there. If he cant sign then he has to be there. So if he hasnt signed the bits of paper then your stuck untill he gets back. Theres no reason why you should pay someone else that much to do it.

Must be different in Pattaya I am on my third bike one had no plate (it was a second owner)I payed I think it was a 100 baht. never bothered to get the white plate bike 2 came with a red plate I don't believe I was charged anything since I turned the 1st bike for bike 2 with same company. The new bike I just bought 2007 Kawi the same shop gave me a loner red plate for free & in 3 months I will be charged 300 baht for the white plate. I heard upcountry they might use a different set of rules. but a friend just bought a madza 1400 nit noi truck in Kohn ken & it was an old beast & had no plate & the shop provided him with a red plate till the paperwork turned & he will be issued a permanent white plate when it is completed at the motor vehicle dpt.

I'm thinking about possibly buying a bike from a private seller, he is not in the country now and has left the paperwork for the bike with someone else who he says will transfer them for 2000 baht.

My question is can I not just get the paperwork from this guy and transfer it myself ?

I'd put the bike in my GF's name and she can deal with the language problem side of the transfer.

If the seller is farang then you need a copy of his current visa stamp and TM6 card to transfer it.. That makes problems if he is out of the country..

I know a few bikes at low values as its in a farang name thats gone. Now it cannot move without tea money and bribes to look the other way..

If the seller is farang then you need a copy of his current visa stamp and TM6 card to transfer it.. That makes problems if he is out of the country..

I know a few bikes at low values as its in a farang name thats gone. Now it cannot move without tea money and bribes to look the other way..

Thanks for the advise on transfering the paperwork, I always use a dealer & they do the paperwork but I never thought of the visa stamp being needed, I guess you do that when you go to immigration with the paperwork, but you could easily get caught holding the bag & having 6to chase down the previous owner. Good call Livin Los

Edited by Beardog