Getting married in Laos - UK citizen to Laos gf

RAZZELL

A mate in the UK (not on this forum) wants to marry his Laos gf and live there.

I have read about SP-B3 that it's a paperwork nightmare and takes a bit of "greasing the wheels".

https://laotiantimes.com/2018/09/14/foreigners-married-lao-citizens-spouse-visa/

Does anyone have any recent experience? Or if they can recommend any links he can read or Agent to use?

This one is a bit old:

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409097/Information_for_British_nationals_intending_to_marry_in_Lao_PDR.pdf

Many thanks

RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...

I married in 2006 , <deleted> agency, 6 months later all done, payed the marriage consultant fee then 1100$ US. NOT ONE kip, bath, $ or euro more, never asked. It's a myth inspired by shady 'agents' and touts. If you can, marry in Laos, as the certification process would be much easier. in some cases (if necessary!!) i ask for the VIP route in Laos when it concerns land registration that needs to be on a land deed, otherwise? don't listen to the cries for extra money.

• Like 1

I can't help the OP, as I married my Lao GF in the UK in 2016.  I had always assumed that marrying in Laos would be impossible, or too expensive, as we already had a kid together.  We met and still live in Thailand, and only visit Laos for family, although we now have a house there.

Hopefully the OP will get more advice!

• Like 1

He will tell you what's needed from both party's. I can't remember how much it was but $2000 US rings a bell. And be careful when going for the interview with the Laos authorities, don't let them know you have been sleeping together,even in another country as this is taboo. I ended up with a $500 US fine,as the misses let it slip we stayed together at our apartment in Thailand. Agent managed to get it reduced to $300 in the end.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

A guy who owns a visa company in Laos was interviewed several times by a popular Australian YouTube vlogger who lives in Vientiane, “Now in Lao”.  The contact info is below, and you can search “Now in Lao” channel to see the video clips:

CONTACT CHRIS BARTH: 
https://www.facebook.com/laosvis
Whatsapp +8562054649654

I haven't used him, but he was informative and seemed honest, but you can watch for yourself. And he is open to inquiries, and should let you know how he can help.

• Like 1