Phare Ponleu Selpak co-founder passes away From Covid-19 at Age 49

geovalin

After more than 30 years of helping conserve art for the younger generation in Cambodia, co-founder of Phare Ponleu Selpak – “brightness of the arts” – Srey Bandaul succumbed to Covid-19 at the age of 49, as confirmed by the organisation on Wednesday night. In a press release, it said Bandaul remained active in Phare to the end of his life and is survived by his grieving wife, two daughters and a national-wide creative community who were taught or inspired by him.

Bandaul is remembered as a creative visionary and celebrated artist who once said: “To me, art is life. I think art has helped me a lot because I grew up in the war period. What I saw was killing and slaughtering, however, I could express myself and heal my feeling through drawing. It helped me to feel peaceful.”

One of his students, Socheata Veng said: “I’m so sad to hear this. It is a big loss for the country. He will be remembered.” Phare Ponleu Selpak’s executive director Osman Khawaja said: “Last night our hearts were broken by the news that we had lost our beloved Lokru Srey Bandaul. Many former students who went on to become great artists in their own right will carry his spirit forward.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50909730/phare-ponleu-selpak-co-founder-passes-away/

• Sad 1