Questions About Tailor And Prices?

SiamSquare123

I want to have a suit made of very good quality for a wedding back home. Where is a good, reliable place to have it done? How much should I expect to pay? im 180cm/70kg

Go to SiamSquare second floor....you will pay a little more but you will get what you pay for. Dont know the address but PM if you want a map..

Edited by torito

Just remember. Don't believe anything they say....

1,300bt is the most that shop will have invested in that suit.

....for a man of your calibre, who needs a 'good' suit....they will sell you 'upgraded' fabrics, etc. It's the suit scam....

Maybe there is a decent suit shop out there...somewhere?

Just remember. Don't believe anything they say....

1,300bt is the most that shop will have invested in that suit.

....for a man of your calibre, who needs a 'good' suit....they will sell you 'upgraded' fabrics, etc. It's the suit scam....

Maybe there is a decent suit shop out there...somewhere?

Thats exactly right.....just be careful with the cheap prices for "quality" materials...

To be safe, buy it off the rack so you see what your getting and then have it altered to fit. The concept of "tailoring" is almost unknown in Asia. "Measured to fit" is more accurate when it comes to describing the process.

Puckered seams are so common in Asia that they are often accepted.

Ready made clothes on display show the quality of their stitching before you buy. Since Thais are very skillful seamstresses, why not use them for what they are good at, to alter the ready made to fit you as in "custom" made. Then you are not subject to a "cutter" of poor quality, a stitcher who puckers seams, etc.

I won't get into the issue of most "Tailors" in Thailand that are cloth merchants that send you measurements to a central manufacturing plant to be made and then the factories "traveling tailor" actually a seamstress, who travels to the cloth merchants by appointment to "fit" your suit.

I want to have a suit made of very good quality for a wedding back home. Where is a good, reliable place to have it done? How much should I expect to pay? im 180cm/70kg

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

They are more expensive than most, but you get solid good suits there. I don't remember exactly, but i think i paid somewhere around 12 K for the last suit i got made there.

Try Narins Couture - on the south side of Suk nr Nana BTS.

I had a jacket plus 2 pants made, good quality material, professional service, but a little pricy....30k.

My Tailor friend tells me that is why their are so many in the business....People paying 30,000b for a 1,500b suit..

The seamstress gets about 200bt, the fabric costs 1,000b or so. Gets delivered on the back of a 10bt motorbike taxi.

Not so sure about The Skipper's #'s ... but I would hope there is profit in any Biz

I recently bought a suit (jacket and 3 slacks) 6 shirts and 6 ties for 10k at Paul's on Suk between sois 5 and 7

Partner got slacks (5 pair) and 7 shirts and 7 ties for the same price.

All very good quality and I am very pleased with my purchase :o

I know a guy who's brother makes suits ordered by various tailor shops, he gets 400 thb/suit.

He can sew but he's not superqualified; last month he was sewing jeans in a sweatshop.

The orders come from various tailor shops as it is outsourced by middlemen, conversely the quality level at the same tailor's can vary wildly, many shop keepers also do not know how to take measures properly, the suit then goes back and forth between the sweatshop and the tailor until an exasperated tourist (who in most cases only stays a few days in town) accepts the shoddy work.

It is one of those huge mark up businesses, another one is jewelry, sometimes it seems the product is of the least importance. I wouldnt recommend having a suit made in BKK, probably wd do that in HK.

I have an excellent tailor, but he's not convenient. He makes a really, really, good pair of pants (have worn the earliest ones now for 3 years, and I'm rough on pants!) and his most recent price was 600B, your choice of material in the shop (none of it terribly expensive).

A lot of the downtown tailors take your measurements and send them out either to sweatshops or to tailors just like the one I use further out in the country- and markup accordingly. But they're more convenient, too.

"Steven"

I will need to get 5 pairs of black pants made, how much am I up for?

Black pants are my standard dress and I find the micro-mesh fabric out of England the most attractive and they are washable without need to dry clean. If hung up after reaching 90% dry in the dryer, they don't need ironing.

They are often on sale at Central Department Store for abut 1100 Baht. Very good cut, available in sizes up to 40 and I would have them hemmed at a "tailor" shop. Look for a big Union Jack label, but I believe there is more than one brand. Make sure they are made in the U.K. so you get the great stitching, cutting and "tailored" look. They rarely wrinkle, even in the worst of weather. As a longtime fan of very tight worsted wool super light weight gabardine they are a great alternative and no need to take to a dry cleaner.