Golf was a Mega Winner at Tokyo Olympics 2020

ASEAN NOW News

Both the Men’s and Ladies Olympic golf tournaments went down to the wire, with many countries in medal positions up to the last holes.

However, it was the massive coverage each round received globally on TV, that put golf up there with all the other sports. 

I thing one quote sums it all up….if you went out into the street and asked people if they have ever heard of the Masters or The Open, you would get a blank star, but many who were supporting their country's top players at the Olympics including golf now knew who Korda, Ko and many more names were.

Indian Golfer made a huge impact

During the Olympics, people natuarally supported their country, and a good example is Aditi Ashok the young Indian golfer. Aditi was at the top of the leader board on all four days, and narrowly missed out on a Bronze medal.

download.jpg.a12eea72085c655eaf8964c2255c75f8.jpg

Ashok centre playing with world No.1 Nelly Korda

Ranked 154 on the Rolex World rankings, she plays regularly on the LPGA Tour, but because of the Olympics most of India now knows who Aditi is.

She received thousands of messages even from the President and Prime Minister of her country.

She was very disappointed to finish 4th, but she has inspired many young Indian girls to take up the sport.

CT Pan from Chinese Taipei beat seven players in a play off to grap the Bronze medal, and he became an overnight hero too.

Just goes to show, that winning regularly on the PGA, European Tour or the LPGA Tours may fill your bank account, you will always be remembered for representing your country.

• Like 1

It may be just me, but professional golfers in the Olympics doesn't seem right.  I know that a lot of "amateurs" will make money from it, but these are career professionals.  They couldn't play in a local competition as an amateur, but they can go to the Olympics?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

It may be just me, but professional golfers in the Olympics doesn't seem right.  I know that a lot of "amateurs" will make money from it, but these are career professionals.  They couldn't play in a local competition as an amateur, but they can go to the Olympics?  

The Philippines medalists are now milionaires so money is everywhere....I would rather see the best win 

Think winners for me was Skateboarding, Climbing and the mixed pairs events in various sports.

The likes of Golf, Football (Soccer) Tennis (they talking about Cricket to be next) and Baseball are not Olympic sports and IMO have no place being there, mainly professional players who earn huge sums... Nope their respective sports generate enough money yet they dont seem to distrubute down enough to the grass-roots but prefer to line the pockets of the high flyers...

Boxing as an example they compete on amature level and if they are any good then go Pro afterwards - no probs with that but the likes of say Djorkovich smashing his raquets up as things were not going well for him is not the image of a True sporting 'Olympian' - No Thanks

It got some negative press on Aussie tv I'm told by sports buddies of mine back home. As in not legitimate as pro's playing which contravenes the amateur ethics of the Olympics (amateur status already sidelined in recent past Olympics) boring for most except for avid golfers. I love playing and watching golf too but I found it rather poor both in commentary (I watched a few different feeds) and skill levels ) perhaps because I am used to see the worlds best of the best play when I normally watch?). I thought the skateboarding was awesome to watch (I skate and have since i was a small kid back in Manly) but I don't believe it should be an Olympic sport, tennis too as its a pure professional sport with players donning amateur caps but being rich (for the most part). There are other sports maybe I can see as not of Olympic category but my old-timers is kicking and I can't think of any more.

4 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

It got some negative press on Aussie tv I'm told by sports buddies of mine back home. As in not legitimate as pro's playing which contravenes the amateur ethics of the Olympics (amateur status already sidelined in recent past Olympics) boring for most except for avid golfers. I love playing and watching golf too but I found it rather poor both in commentary (I watched a few different feeds) and skill levels ) perhaps because I am used to see the worlds best of the best play when I normally watch?). I thought the skateboarding was awesome to watch (I skate and have since i was a small kid back in Manly) but I don't believe it should be an Olympic sport, tennis too as its a pure professional sport with players donning amateur caps but being rich (for the most part). There are other sports maybe I can see as not of Olympic category but my old-timers is kicking and I can't think of any more.

Most of the athletes get paid in some form or other nowadays. Even pro boxers were allowed to put on a shirt and pretend they were not getting paid.