Bathroom Water Smell

Rachel Lee

Hi,

I've recently moved to a new condominium in Bangkok and facing some water issue.

The water from the bathroom shower has a pungent smell...like sulfur.

The smell stays in the room even when bathroom is dried.  

So far, I have no skin issues but I wonder if it is safe for bathing, if there is any solutions,

any if anyone of you have faced a same/similar issue..

Thanks!

Rachel

Edited by Rachel Lee

Hi Rachel... I live in a Bangkok condo (same condo for three years) also and noticed this smell when taking a shower too. I have not changed soap or shampoo and don't feel clean after showering for the past couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

Most common is the smell from the drain when water goes down but soon passes.

If it is the actual water coming out, thats a concern, and points to a contaminent and may be you should collect some direct from the shower head and take it to the building office.

• Thanks 1

Collect some and smell it way from the shower. If it still smells of sulphur then take it to the BMWA.

Your condo maybe illegally pumping from ground water? 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Most common is the smell from the drain when water goes down but soon passes.

If it is the actual water coming out, thats a concern, and points to a contaminent and may be you should collect some direct from the shower head and take it to the building office.

If smell not passing, could be a break in the water trap that is allowing the water to drain out and sewer gas to back out to the bathroom.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Hi Rachel... I live in a Bangkok condo (same condo for three years) also and noticed this smell when taking a shower too. I have not changed soap or shampoo and don't feel clean after showering for the past couple of weeks.

Hi BobinBKK, thanks for your comment. Good too know that I am not the only one experiencing it...I used to live in another block of the same condo. At that time, I didn't experience this problem... Hope it is just a temporal  thing...

8 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

If smell not passing, could be a break in the water trap that is allowing the water to drain out and sewer gas to back out to the bathroom.

I never thought that the smell is coming from the drain...! I've just smelled the water outside the bathroom. I can't tell if there is zero smell (most likely I have paranoid), but it is definitely lighter. Thanks! 

20 hours ago, dj230 said:

Where do you guys live in bangkok?

I remember there was some new articles talking about possible water contamination from the chemical explosions near the airport a few weeks ago 

Oh no...My place is not too far from Suvarnabhumi airport. 

19 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Collect some and smell it way from the shower. If it still smells of sulphur then take it to the BMWA.

Your condo maybe illegally pumping from ground water? 

Is there any cases whereby water is illegally pumped from the ground..?! I have never ever thought of that... 

I noticed a similar sulphur smell from the shower at 2 large Sukhumvit hotels recently, but it was quite mild and only lasted for a few seconds when I turned the shower on.

I think it's because both hotels were pumping groundwater so more contaminants than tapwater. Whether they have a license for that or are doing it illegally is another kettle of fish.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Rachel Lee said:

Is there any cases whereby water is illegally pumped from the ground..?! I have never ever thought of that... 

I had a running mate who worked for a water company in Bangkok. One of his jobs was to visit businesses to check the water. No chlorine? Therefore pumping from ground water. 

I doubt condos do it but if the site previously had a well?

• Thanks 1