Bananas

JoePai

Can't comment too much on bananas, except that they seem to need a fair amount of water (at least until they get well established). There are other, similar threads running here in which people share their experiences about growing various plants on their plots of land. Maybe you can garnish a few ideas from them. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Ok chaps thanks, something to ponder on

If you do, give some thought to which type you will plant. We have some growing, and I was quite looking forward to them, but GF told me they are for cooking, not eating. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phetphet said:

If you do, give some thought to which type you will plant. We have some growing, and I was quite looking forward to them, but GF told me they are for cooking, not eating. 

Interesting, than you for the head's up - will check !

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Bananas are easy to grow and don't need much looking after once established. But they aren't exactly profitable and can have an awkward habit of "wandering" in the night just as they're ready to cut.

If you need something to keep the land "active" why not?

...Also banana trees tend to attract mosquitoes but also many little bothersome knats.

You may not want a banana plantation right next to your house.

Why not grow 2 or 3 see how it goes.

Good luck!

Edited by MrJ2U

I've nothing against the bananas, I planted some Gluai Nam Wa offshoots from our friend's farm, at our home yesterday .  Mosquitoes and knats? I didn't think about it but I'll deal with it when the time comes, sanitation, botanical insect repellent is easy enough for a small planting.  

But when I saw the post about having 1 rai and not knowing what to do with it, I remembered this old post that I saved, from Tim, CNXPAT - Growing Makua (attached).  I wish there were more posts like this, on this fading forum. 

I used this information for a garden planting in Santa Cruz California. My wife Bee brought Thai makua seeds to the US, (she can't live without her geng keow wan,  and the Thai restaurants weren't quite up to her green curry standards).  We planted a couple of rows. 

The heads up about susceptibility to fungal pathogens was useful, but I converted the whole concept of soil fertility and pest/disease control to a 'high nutrient density', organic methods and materials approach, with soil testing, Rx mineral and biological amendments, and preventive botanicals and biologicals.  We had healthy, pest and disease free makua and other veggies, and lots of good geng keow wan. 

Makua growing instructions (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).pdf

On 8/17/2021 at 11:20 PM, drtreelove said:

I wish there were more posts like this, on this fading forum

The farming forum is a calming read/escape from all the other BS happening around here.

We need more photos of projects, always interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am growing some bananas for my own consumption. I live in Surin province, here people grow mostly rice and banana. Market is oversupplied with banana, there is no point grow them for sell. If you have one  rai I would grow different trees from own consumption, like some papaya, banana, mango, jack fruit, a few durians and avocado.

• Like 2