Snake Identity Request

This morning while cycling along the Chao Phaya River I had to dismount to get up a step and I nearly put my foot on this little chap. ????

We both went our separate ways.

Anyone know what it is, and is it venomous?

Thanks in advance.

20210821_101053.jpg

20210821_101057.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It's a Pit Viper , you can tell by the head, dangerous and Venomous  

regards Worgeordie

That's what I thought (pit viper) from the shape... and lucky he didn't want a piece of me. ????????????????

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pope's or Bamboo Viper ..... it's venom rots your flesh.

Probably won't kill you, but you can lose a hand or foot.

Very aggressive, holds it's ground.

There are only two types of venom from snakes. One that attacks the nervous system and the other attacks the blood so that it breaks down and won't coagulate.

I gather from your description that it has the type that attacks the blood.

9 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Same question,  why type of snake and venomous?

Could be an Oriental Whip Snake, very long and thin, harmless. But of course he might not be ...

EDIT Brownish tail end could be a green viper.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

There are only two types of venom from snakes. One that attacks the nervous system and the other attacks the blood so that it breaks down and won't coagulate.

I gather from your description that it has the type that attacks the blood.

The Russel's viper (which kill c25000 a year) venom turns blood to jelly.

https://www.businessinsider.com/snake-venom-coagulates-human-blood-2014-11?r=US&IR=T

3 minutes ago, mrfill said:

The Russel's viper (which kill c25000 a year) venom turns blood to jelly.

And there was I thinking of making the grand-kids one of my valuable, imported, Rowntree's strawberry jellies (Jello for our friends across the pond), idea shelved!

You can register with some knowledgeable people on various Facebook groups, such as Snakes of Pattaya, post a photo on there and a couple of minutes later you'll get an answer from a topic expert, try looking for different groups depending where you live like Bangkok, Phuket, Kohn Kaen etc etc. Some even provide a free relocation service.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And there was I thinking of making the grand-kids one of my valuable, imported, Rowntree's strawberry jellies (Jello for our friends across the pond), idea shelved!

Good thinking!  Russel's viper jelly just doesn't go with ice cream very well...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Could be an Oriental Whip Snake, very long and thin, harmless. But of course he might not be ...

EDIT Brownish tail end could be a green viper.

I think too it's an Oriental whip snake, I have seen one about one meter from me , very strange creature, exactly the same colour than nature and a very flat head !

Facebook has a snake identification group for every region in Thailand and they normally give immediate responses from experts. Join the one in your region and stop getting bad advice that might get you killed from this peanut gallery.

Edited by LikeItHot

On 8/21/2021 at 3:50 PM, Crossy said:

Definitely!

As always with snakes, if you are not sure assume it's venomous.

For example, snakes with yellow and black stripes:-

This chap is harmless (Laotian Wolf Snake), although he will appear pretty agressive he's all show and no go! We have these in our garden, the maid is terrified of them!

snake_lycodon_laoensis.jpg

This chap will kill you stone dead (Banded Krait). We do not have these in the garden!

bandedkrait-tom-edited.jpg

Appreciate the top photo as the wife was struck by one a few days ago, fortunately it struck her wellie but they  thought it a Krait and chopped it in half.