Scam?

teatree

I was at the Major Ekkamai KFC this evening, just about to tuck into my food when a French sounding woman with a shocked expression (and bad breath) came up to me. She went through some story about her husband being put in jail (in Pattaya) for some reason or another and wanted 3500 baht to release him. They didnt have any money because it was stolen in the same incident that the man was arrested for - I'm not really sure as I had already sensed a scam and was concentrating more on the food that was waiting for me.

Anyway, I wanted to give her a chance as it could have been a true story. So I asked her if she had a contact name at the police station that i could call but she insisted that she didnt have a number and didnt want anyone to call and only wanted cash. This really convinced me that she was scamming plus the fact that I have read on this forum about a woman with a similer description conning someone else.

She was mid to late 40's , quite slim with slightly tanned skin light/medium brown hair and maybe light brown eyes. Has anyone any experience of this happening to them?

was concentrating more on the food that was waiting for me.
She was mid to late 40's , quite slim with slightly tanned skin light/medium brown hair and maybe light brown eyes.

:o

Anyway, Astral's comment on contacting the Embassy sounds appropriate.

There has been stories of a French woman with all sorts of stories scamming in Bangkok for years now - you story pretty much fits the description but the story is slightly different this time.

Its been mentioned on more than one board

Long time since I met one of these Scammers (is that a word? lol), or con artists.

When I met one, and found out what is was about, If I had time I would play along, prolonging the conversation.

Coming up with ideas how to help the person. Sometimes promising to help of course.

Quite enjoyable sometimes to "turn the table" in a way, and see how the con artist slowly started to understand that it was he/she that was being fooled.

I think that the OP should have opened his heart and wallet to the lady. If he can afford to eat then he could afford to help her out. It would have been better to help than demonize her, are words that I would never use.

Sure sounds like she was a professional scammer, scamming professionaly. :o

I'd have sent her packing too.

One thing that comes to mind is the high amount of money she asked for. Does that mean people actually hand over that kind of cash?

I was at the Major Ekkamai KFC this evening, just about to tuck into my food when a French sounding woman with a shocked expression (and bad breath) came up to me. She went through some story about her husband being put in jail (in Pattaya) for some reason or another and wanted 3500 baht to release him. They didnt have any money because it was stolen in the same incident that the man was arrested for - I'm not really sure as I had already sensed a scam and was concentrating more on the food that was waiting for me.

Anyway, I wanted to give her a chance as it could have been a true story. So I asked her if she had a contact name at the police station that i could call but she insisted that she didnt have a number and didnt want anyone to call and only wanted cash. This really convinced me that she was scamming plus the fact that I have read on this forum about a woman with a similer description conning someone else.

She was mid to late 40's , quite slim with slightly tanned skin light/medium brown hair and maybe light brown eyes. Has anyone any experience of this happening to them?

sexy woman? 500b for a quickee? :o

this scammer was discussed a few months back by another lady.

if I recall the lady that was scamed was passing on her way and saw that scammer again and when she approached her the scammer pretended not to know her. when she insisted the scammer the scaming girl said the she needs to go to t etoilet and she never seen her again.

its good that members share this info as it helps all of us avoid those dirt.

Sounds like the woman who conned me out of $50 last year, also near Ekamai on my way to Pataya!

I am a sucker for helping people in a jam, even gave her my home address expecting her to refund me as promised. :o

And everyone warned me a bout Thai scammers, haha :D

Seems to me the best way to handle a situation like this. Might also prove to be fun & amusing.

Just offer to take the scammer to the local tourist police so they could assist her. just watch her run!! Or better yet, tell the scammer you'll have to go to your bank, by taxis and ask if she would accompany you. Get in the cab with the scammer & tell driver Tourist police. Bet the scammer would try jumping out the window LOL.

Long time since I met one of these Scammers (is that a word? lol), or con artists.

When I met one, and found out what is was about, If I had time I would play along, prolonging the conversation.

Coming up with ideas how to help the person. Sometimes promising to help of course.

Quite enjoyable sometimes to "turn the table" in a way, and see how the con artist slowly started to understand that it was he/she that was being fooled.

Edited by mikethevigoman

sexy woman? 500b for a quickee? :o

What with that breath ! :D

Bruce, you an me should team up as I have had a great offer from some Nigerians. All we have to do is send them a $1000 and they forward us $22 million. I'm a bit short at the moment. Could you send me my half of the $1000?

That scam has been going on for years, Obviously there are enough half wits out there that fall for it.... :o

Soundman,

Ya, I've heard of this lady on this forum before. They thought she was Danish or Dutch, I believe. Next time she scams someone please ask for her passport so we can all know the truth.