Thailand Atm Cards And Penang !

My experience is dated, like me, but a few years ago I could find no ATM in Georgetown to accept my Cirrus or Plus cards. I tried every ATM in Komptar and surrounding banks. I have read others saying that they have used their cards so either I was very unlucky; or things may have changed.

My experience is dated, like me, but a few years ago I could find no ATM in Georgetown to accept my Cirrus or Plus cards. I tried every ATM in Komptar and surrounding banks. I have read others saying that they have used their cards so either I was very unlucky; or things may have changed.

You were unlucky

I used my card in Penang 2 years ago.

MayBank ATM's should accept Cirrus and Maestro cards

All Thai Visa Electron Cards will be accepted at ATM's worldwide if the ATM has a Maestro Symbol (and you have funds in the account- as it is only a debit card and not a credit card !)

I have used both Thai visa Electron and UK (Maestro & Visa & Mcard) Cards in Penang ATM's within the last 15 months and have had no problems at all.

If you do encounter a problem - and this goes for Thailand also when using foriegn ATM cards, just wait a few hours - sometimes the link is not available to your bank and transactions can not be processed at that time.

To be safe always carry a few hundred dollar or sterling travellers cheques as even if you lose them they will be replaced the next day by AMEX couriers.

I use Bangkok Bank and for a small additional fee when you sign up for an ATM card you get a card with PLUS logo. It looks like most ATM cards but have the plus logo on the back, with this card you can use ATMs almost everywhere, I have used it in Penang and Sweden.

I did some research on this before my holiday trip to Sweden because I were too late to apply for VISA Electron, I found out that PLUS belongs to VISA and may be exactly same as VISA electron.