Huge prize money to FedEXCup players…it is insane!!!!

ASEAN NOW News

Sports money awards (even amateur) are pretty out of control these days. The young lady who won the Tae Kwan Do Gold medal for Thailand not only gets the medal but also 12 million baht from the national sports agency....as an amateur. Crazy

Helps when you start at -10.

I know it's been around for a few years, and was meant to address one issue, but it leaves a bad taste.

Richard Williams (portrayed by Will Smith in the upcoming film "King Richard") was wise to steer his daughters toward tennis, and not golf.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:39 AM, ASEAN NOW News said:

Chew on this for a minute… Lexi Thompson has 11 #LPGA wins and 74 top 10s. Meanwhile, Patrick Cantlay just earned 3.6 million dollars more in one week than Lexi has earned in her ENTIRE career.

She could try playing on the men's circuit if that is a problem.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:48 AM, tonray said:

Sports money awards (even amateur) are pretty out of control these days. The young lady who won the Tae Kwan Do Gold medal for Thailand not only gets the medal but also 12 million baht from the national sports agency....as an amateur. Crazy

CEO's of big companies and banks payouts make the golfers wins look like peanuts, that is a bigger problem.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kennw said:

CEO's of big companies and banks payouts make the golfers wins look like peanuts, that is a bigger problem.

CEO's of big companies do a lot of work and are responsible for the livelihoods of not just their 100's or even 10's of thousands of employees but also by extension the employees families.   They deserve their salaries and bonuses most of the time. 

People playing a game don't deserve to be paid such amounts, the problem is the sports generate huge amounts because of TV rights and someone needs to get paid that money and the athletes know there is so much money available so they now demand their share of it.  And of course they all have bloody agents trying to get them more money.

I actually don't understand the appeal of watching most sports - playing them maybe but watching someone play golf, or watching a football game... waste of time.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 7:48 PM, tonray said:

Does she get to keep her amateur status?

The compensation for an NBA player has reached $50 million per year. But pay for teachers is peanuts and we can't afford universal healthcare (US). 

I had to laugh when an NBA player, who was making something like $12 mil a year, said he switched teams to get about $15 mil a year because he had to take of his family. I could only assume the poor family was living in squalor.

26 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Does she get to keep her amateur status?

Yes...I think those rules were changed long ago. In the same way that US pro basketball players have sometimes played on the Olympic teams. Not really a distinction, at least for the Olympics anymore...money, money, and more money

On 9/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, tonray said:

Yes...I think those rules were changed long ago. In the same way that US pro basketball players have sometimes played on the Olympic teams. Not really a distinction, at least for the Olympics anymore...money, money, and more money

Nice, she gets the money and can still compete. I'm sure she trains hard.

Yes, now even college players can get revenue from things like name ,image, autographs. If the individual state the athlete is playing in passes the law the NCAA is cool with it.  California just passed a law that puts them in play sooner than they had passed earlier. Afraid other states will attract the premier athletes sooner. The rush is on. 555

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

When a football team like Chelsea, my childhood idols, have a team of individuals whose names I can't even pronounce is when I began to lose interest in sport.

Saying that, one has to say how refreshing the womens tennis US Open final will be.

I'm suprised you can pronounce the names of the Tennis Finalists