Chiang Mai How To Make It Work

chaimdan

Hi,

I realize my last post was a little too long, so I want to try this in a easier way.

Just a reminder, I am traveling with wife and 1 yr old baby.

Seems like the easiest option for me would be to hire a driver who can also act as a guide and show us the north. I am primarily interested in a two day one night excursion.

I would like to go to some tribes, elephant ride, bamboo raft, some shows and perhaps another thing or two... (maybe end up in the Golden triangle for a hotel if it's worth it) and any other things anyone can recommend (outside the city)

Can anyone recommend someone who can do such a thing? I know it's not too hard to find a driver but I want someone who will not take me to his friends because they give a percentage to him, but rather will take me to the best places possible.

I am on a budget and don't want to spend too much on this. What do you think such a thing would cost?

Also, I hear a lot about elephant rides, is there a particular route, or place that stands out from the rest?

I will also be in Ko Samui and Phuket, are any of these activities better there than in Chiang Mai?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Hmm...

I dont know how much help this would be to you, but the only thing i can think of is either approaching one of the drivers in Chiang Mai and arranging this (im sure many would take up the offer, as well as being able to haggle a price). Around Kad San Central Shopping I have seen a couple of modern air con very nice mini vans who hang around for business. Or, if you are flying into CM you could ask the taxi stall at the airport. The last suggestion i have is going through a tour / travel agency. Most can taylor trips to what you need/want. I recently called up one to book a day trip visa stamp run, and they were very helpful. The agency i went through were Journey Tours: (053) 271 579. Their website is: www.journeycnx.com. There are of course many other tour companies, if you do a search in google im sure you will find more.

Hope you have a good trip =]

I would rent a car from Northern Wheels along the moat.

I think they have a website- google it

they give you a child seat in the car and you can pay 800-1k baht a day - about the same as a driver and you wont have to deal with going to his brothers/uncles/sisters jewerly shop/tailor etc...

because believe me, thats how the drivers make their money and unless you have a rock solid itinerary - they will all waste your time with this S@@T

chaing mai is easy to drive in - not like BKK at all. go see Doi Sutep, the zoo, goto hang dong - if you have a few days drive to Chaing rai or do the loop through Pai and then Mae hon Song

Thanks a lot EEK I contacted that agent to see if they can provide a driver....

Shah, that's for your suggestion... I'm worried that if I go myself I won't know where to go or what to do and how to negotiate prices for elephant rides and everything else. I am interested in a two day trip outside of Chiang Mai.... Do you think we can figure out everything and do the elephant, shows and tribes ourselves? What is that route you recommended (Pai loop???)

Someone told me it's a dangerous road to Chiang Rai or the Golden Triangle, is that correct?

Thanks again

Ive been on the Chiang Mai to Chaing Rai road (and beyond) on a few occasions. I guess if you are used to straight roads then you would consider it "dangerous", however, if you are used to UK and/or country style roads then you will take it in your stride.

There are a lot of bends, so if you or anyone in your family get car sick easy..it may be a bit rough on you/them.

I guess the road is only as dangerous as the person driving or the person driving in the oncoming driving..um..hah.

As for getting to see all you want in two days, i suggest writing down everything that you would like, then calling up a number of agents to get a quotation. I imagine they could arrange an itinary based on the best use of time and money, with (i belive) a reasonable percentage to cover their fee. It would probably work out around the same price (due to the fact they can get you a discount) and would be a weight off your shoulders.

You can always compare by finding out the entry costs to places, and pitching it against the agents fee.