Vaccination for 60+ foreigners in Khon Kaen

Dario

There is a lot of confusion about these vaccination for foreigners.

I was informed around August 15 by an email from the Swiss Embassy that I could register for a free covid vaccination at the expatvac website. I am 75 and a diabetic since around twenty years. I got a doctor's certificate the next day and registered on the expatvax website the same day. I attached the certificate and was able to include screenshots of my passport, my entry visa and my visa extension.

While browsing here on aseannow, I noticed that it was also possible for people living in the Isaan to register at a website opened by Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen, at https://it-nurse.bkn.co.th/index_vaccine.php. So I registered there as well. No documents were needed to be attached, BUT, I was offered right away to have a Pfizer shot on SEP 12. The morning bookings were already fully booked, so I opted for the time slot of 14:00-15:00 in the afternoon. I attach the lower part of my application which shows my booking for SEP 12.

Needless to say that I haven't received any invitation from expatvac where I did my booking 21 days ago. With an age of 75 and having diabetes I expected that I would be contacted quite quickly. No, nothing.

On the Bangkok Hospital website I can check my booking by indicating my passport number. Since today there is no more status indicated, so I called the hospital at 043 042 767. Khun Daa explained me that many people had already called this morning as many others found no more status indication. She told me that everything for me is on track and on SEP 09 the website should show the vaccination date and time. So, 3 more days.

My intention is not to complain here, absolutely not, in the contrary, I'm very grateful to the US government to have donated these Pfizer jabs and the Thai government has decided to make some of them available for us foreigners in Thailand.

Are there any other readers who have registered at Khon Kaen Hospital? If yes, please be so kind and let us know your experience so far. Thank you.

vaccination app 120921 1400.PNG

2 hours ago, Dario said:

Amazing! It seems that I'm the only foreigner over 60 in the Isaan getting a Pfizer shot in Khon Kaen. 

Many of us here in Isaan had done what you had done, I registered on the Expatvac site on 1 August and the Khon Kaen site a little later, nothing.

On Sunday the 22nd August I received a text from a friend who said Udon Thani Provincial Health Office was taking registrations for expats over 60 or under 60 with underlying conditions on-site, so I went and registered on-site and received my 1st dose of Pfizer the next day at Raji University, 2nd dose due on Monday the 13th September.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for either site to email or text me, but if they do, I will cancel as I have already been vaccinated.

If I were you, depending on where you live, I would make contact with your provincial health office asap to see if they know anything on Pfizer being given to expats, wouldn't mention the Expatvac and KK site and see what they say.

Good luck.

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Many of us here in Isaan had done what you had done, I registered on the Expatvac site on 1 August and the Khon Kaen site a little later, nothing.

On Sunday the 22nd August I received a text from a friend who said Udon Thani Provincial Health Office was taking registrations for expats over 60 or under 60 with underlying conditions on-site, so I went and registered on-site and received my 1st dose of Pfizer the next day at Raji University, 2nd dose due on Monday the 13th September.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for either site to email or text me, but if they do, I will cancel as I have already been vaccinated.

If I were you, depending on where you live, I would make contact with your provincial health office asap to see if they know anything on Pfizer being given to expats, wouldn't mention the Expatvac and KK site and see what they say.

Good luck.

Thanks for your contribution!

I registered and when I check my status, it shows up with a date and time.  But the sad thing is we called the hospital because my wife who is an American citizen for over 30 years now didn’t show up in the status. They told me she was not eligible because she was a Thai.  So the Pfizer is only for one nationality, foreigners only I guess.  Pretty sad, so guess we will wait for Moderna at least if you pay they don’t care what nationality you are.  Oh yeah, the first time I called they told me the same to check on the 9th, then the next day I showed up on the status page. Hope your get your shot. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Good luck.

If I would have thought out of the box, I should have come to the same conclusion: call the the provincial public health office. That's what my wife just did.

Apparently, I'm registered, I just have to wait for my que which they will communicate as soon as they know. They said That I would get Pfizer and that the venue is Surin Rajabhat University.

Thanks to your message on this thread, no need for me to travel all the way to Khon Kaen.  Your input is very much appreciated!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dario said:

If I would have thought out of the box, I should have come to the same conclusion: call the the provincial public health office. That's what my wife just did.

Apparently, I'm registered, I just have to wait for my que which they will communicate as soon as they know. They said That I would get Pfizer and that the venue is Surin Rajabhat University.

Thanks to your message on this thread, no need for me to travel all the way to Khon Kaen.  Your input is very much appreciated!

Your welcome and well done, however I am a little confused, when you say apparently you are registered, do you mean your wife managed to register you at Udon Thani Provincial Health Office over the phone ?

Also any indication of when the que might be, because I know I am due for my 2nd dose on the 13th so you might be getting it on the same day at the Uni, because I know when I got my 1st dose, that was the first time they offered it, so it would make sense for you to get your 1st dose on the 13th, unless they are doing more 1st doses beforehand.

Also I registered with Sawang Daen Din Hospital a while back, (forgot) and they called me after I received my Pfizer jab to advise that they also had it, but we told them we got ours at Udon Thani, then we got a call from someone in Sakon Nakhon a week later asking if we got the shot at Sawang Daen Din Hospital, with my wife repeating to them what she had told the hospital staff, maybe they are checking up on them ?

Keep us updated if you don't mind and when you do go to the uni for the jab, just follow the signs to the very end until you can't go any further, expect to be there for around 3 hours, so take a sandwich or two and some coffee, sure did help my hunger pains, albeit it they offer you bottled water. 

Good luck

Edited by 4MyEgo

Yes, l registered with Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen, confirmation came back immediately. About a week later l received an email giving details of vaccination. This was for Sunday 5th at 2.00 to 4.00pm at Central Plaza, level 5, Khon Kaen. Received Pfizer and a follow up booking for second shot on the 26th September, also Pfizer. All went smoothly, no queues, plenty of staff and even entertainment provided while waiting the mandatory 30 minutes after vaccination. I am in the over 60's group, no health issues. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dario

I'm going there's actually on the 11Th , the day before because we'll have a 4 hour drive from Sakon Nakhon. 

We're going to stay 2 nights at the Avani Khon Kaen.  I want to make sure I'm feeling well plus I'm dying to get away from the village.

I've been worried also but looks like everything is a go for the 12th.

It sucks my wife cant get the vaccine also.  She is booked for Moderna for the beginning of October.  Who knows how that'll pan out.

I'm going to call tomorrow in any case.

See you there!

Edited by MrJ2U

I too registered on the expatvac site back on the 1st of August.  The site responded immediately that I was now pre-registered and needed to wait for the email with my appointment date and time, which has never come.  I am 77 and just recently had open heart surgery (8 June.)  My surgeon said it was okay now for me to get the shots.

So, when a friend of mine had informed me that he already had his 1st Pfizer vaccination this past Sunday here in Khon Kaen through the thailandintervac.com site and had only registered several weeks ago, I proceeded to contact the Bangkok Khon Kaen Hospital about getting the vaccination.  Said that the site had been closed but was re-opening again today the 7th and I could register.  (They had essentially 80 slots available.  I now have an appointment on the 12th for my Pfizer shot, 2nd one on 3 October.

You have to wonder if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing and vice versa!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your welcome and well done, however I am a little confused, when you say apparently you are registered, do you mean your wife managed to register you at Udon Thani Provincial Health Office over the phone ?

Also any indication of when the que might be, because I know I am due for my 2nd dose on the 13th so you might be getting it on the same day at the Uni, because I know when I got my 1st dose, that was the first time they offered it, so it would make sense for you to get your 1st dose on the 13th, unless they are doing more 1st doses beforehand.

Also I registered with Sawang Daen Din Hospital a while back, (forgot) and they called me after I received my Pfizer jab to advise that they also had it, but we told them we got ours at Udon Thani, then we got a call from someone in Sakon Nakhon a week later asking if we got the shot at Sawang Daen Din Hospital, with my wife repeating to them what she had told the hospital staff, maybe they are checking up on them ?

Keep us updated if you don't mind and when you do go to the uni for the jab, just follow the signs to the very end until you can't go any further, expect to be there for around 3 hours, so take a sandwich or two and some coffee, sure did help my hunger pains, albeit it they offer you bottled water. 

Good luck

My wife did not call the Udon Thani provincial public health office, since we live in Surin province. I probably forgot to mention that. Surin town is about a one hour drive away from our home, opposed to about of 3½ hours of Khon Kaen, quite a difference. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dario said:

My wife did not call the Udon Thani provincial public health office, since we live in Surin province. I probably forgot to mention that. Surin town is about a one hour drive away from our home, opposed to about of 3½ hours of Khon Kaen, quite a difference. 

Apologies for being persistent, but I'm trying to understand your comments copy & pasted below.

From my understanding, you have an appointment at Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen for the 12th September which is to be confirmed by them either via an email or sms to you and if I am reading your posts correct you are in the que at Udon Thani Provincial Public Health Office, however not sure how you are registered with the latter.

The above said, I wouldn't let go of the Khon Kaen appointment for the 12th if they confirm its a go for the 12th, i.e. unless you can clarify that you are registered with Udon Thani Provincial Public Health Office, how you registered and have a date for the jab, as I am sure you have to register in person, e.g. when I was registering a guy was trying to register his friend, he had photos of his friends passport and medical docs, and they told him, he must register in person with original passport and medical docs, wouldn't even allow him to email the passport and docs to them.

Just don't want you to miss out if Khon Kaen comes through 1st, regardless of the time it will take you to drive there, i.e. unless you have a solid confirmation from Udon Thani.

Edited by 4MyEgo

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I've been worried also but looks like everything is a go for the 12th.

It sucks my wife cant get the vaccine also.  She is booked for Moderna for the beginning of October.  Who knows how that'll pan out.

I'm going to call tomorrow in any case.

I wouldn't go unless you receive the email or sms confirmation as it could be a waste of time. Remember, they did say for Khon Kaen residents and some surrounding provinces, that said I also live in Sakon Nakhon but managed to register on site at Udon Thani Provincial Public Health Office and then get zapped the following day at the university on the 23rd August, even though I am registered to get my jab at KK on the 12th, which I will cancel if it comes through, but don't know if it will because I live in Sakon Nakhon.

A suggestion would be, either try to call KK to confirm you are ok for the jab living in Sakon Nakhon before you go, or ring Udon Thani Provincial Public Health Office to see when they are next registering and providing jabs. I am due for my 2nd on the 13th, so maybe try that in case KK is a fizzer ?

Details below, also re-the wife, we have also paid for Moderna for October which, if it does come through, will push my shot back as a booster/3rd jab in April next year, if required, that said, looks like only half will arrive and looks like there is government interference already.

We are always trying to stay one step ahead for the unknown and have heard the Thai government is going to give their citizens a jab of AZ followed up by Pfizer as the 2nd jab in October, that said I have told my wife to keep her ears and eyes open because if she can get the in October, she will then push Moderna back when she gets notified that it has arrived, more than likely in the 1st quarter of next year.

https://udon.info/udonthani-provincial-public-health-office/

Edited by 4MyEgo

Regarding Expatvac: it's really just a registration point.  Data is passed on to the appropriate regional centre, and you would likely be contacted by post, SMS, or telephone call.

Notice I use 'would' as in the future hypothetical- not looking too good for some of us is it?

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Apologies for being persistent, but I'm trying to understand your comments copy & pasted below.

From my understanding, you have an appointment at Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen for the 12th September which is to be confirmed by them either via an email or sms to you and if I am reading your posts correct you are in the que at Udon Thani Provincial Public Health Office, however not sure how you are registered with the latter.

The above said, I wouldn't let go of the Khon Kaen appointment for the 12th if they confirm its a go for the 12th, i.e. unless you can clarify that you are registered with Udon Thani Provincial Public Health Office, how you registered and have a date for the jab, as I am sure you have to register in person, e.g. when I was registering a guy was trying to register his friend, he had photos of his friends passport and medical docs, and they told him, he must register in person with original passport and medical docs, wouldn't even allow him to email the passport and docs to them.

Just don't want you to miss out if Khon Kaen comes through 1st, regardless of the time it will take you to drive there, i.e. unless you have a solid confirmation from Udon Thani.

To clarify:

I live in Surin province, so my wife contacted the Surin Public Health Office.

After talking today to my wife more in depth about yesterday's call to the PHO, she said, that I wasn't registered before, but now I am.

Today  WED 08 SEP Khon Kaen website shows that my registration for SEP 12 is confirmed.

Now, I'm 75, my balance (standing/walking) is pretty bad,  so I REALLY prefer to get the jab in Surin (and I will!) instead of driving 3½ hours to Khon Kaaen, I will wait until I can get it in Surin which is a mere hour of driving away. Does this make sense?

By the way, I have diabetes mellus since over 20 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dario said:

To clarify:

After talking today to my wife more in depth about yesterday's call to the PHO, she said, that I wasn't registered before, but now I am.

Today  WED 08 SEP Khon Kaen website shows that my registration for SEP 12 is confirmed.

Now, I'm 75, my balance (standing/walking) is pretty bad,  so I REALLY prefer to get the jab in Surin (and I will!) instead of driving 3½ hours to Khon Kaaen, I will wait until I can get it in Surin which is a mere hour of driving away. Does this make sense?

Makes total sense and good luck.

I jut checked my status and it shows confirmed, suffice to say I will contact the hospital now and let them know that I won't be needing the jab so that it can hopefully go to someone else in need of it.

Checked status on the BKK Hospital Khon Kaen site via Intervac and now have my Pfizer appointment on 12th at Central Plaza 11.00-12.00 You have to confirm the appointment on the status page and now status shows successfully confirmed ???? Not sure if it will be followed up with an email but I took a screenshot of the page just to be sure. Finally some progress! Also date of 2nd jab is 3rd October so all good.

Edited by Siamesecarper

On 9/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, Dario said:

To clarify:

Update:

My wife called again the Surin Public Health Office to know more and she was told that it might take some time to get the Pfizer vaccine.

So, today I checked on the Khon Kaen Bangkok Hospital website and it was all confirmed for 1st shot Pfizer on SEP 12 from 11:00-12:00 and 2nd Pfizer (?) shot on OCT 03 also from 11:00-12:00.

My son who is working in BKK urged me to take the chance of an early shot,  already in 3 days. He will come and pick up me, my wife and our daughter on SUN morning and drive us back, same scenario on OCT 03. I think I couldn't have it better. So, I have confirmed to Khon Kaen Hospital. So, no Surin.

Another update:

Being 75+ and having diabetes since over 20 years, I was scheduled for a first Pfizer shot for yesterday SEP 12 between 11 and 12 at Khon Kaen Plaza. I arrived already at around 09:45. There were many, many people there, probably about 99% of them Thais. The area there was huge. Loads of people from Bangkok Hospital were there to help anyone to find their way. I had to pass several desks, answering questions on a sheet of paper where I also saw a photocopy of my passport (where did they get if from?), check my blood pressure, and I got my Pfizer shot before 10:00 am. Everything was well organized and courteous.

I didn't feel anything until about 11 pm when my arm began to hurt a little. Now we are Monday the 13th and I still only feel a bit pain in my arm. That's all. So far no other side effects. I'm scheduled for the second Pfizer shot on Sunday October 3 at the same venue.

Now I'm very glad I had my first vaccination.

The attached pictures show a very small corner of the 20-30 minutes area people have to wait after their vaccination. 

And all this free of charge! Thank you!

IMG20210912101307a.jpg

IMG20210912101312a.jpg

Edited by Dario