Thai's Respect For Old Age

TBWG

Hi

Just watched a programme on BBC2 about how the elderly are treated in the UK.

Bottom line was once you can't work and pay your way you are deemed worthless by this government and society in general.

Makes me think how lucky I am to have a Thai family with their respect and attitude to old age.

But the UK OAP's are fighting back see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY

TBWG :o

Hi

Bottom line was once you can't work and pay your way you are deemed worthless by this government and society in general.

Makes me think how lucky I am to have a Thai family with their respect and attitude to old age.

But the UK OAP's are fighting back see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY

I take issue with this and here is why: While Thais are taught to respect and care for the elderly, at what cost do they do this? Case in point: How many Issan girls become hookers to support the family? And how many of these families either look the other way, acknowledge their daughters are prostitutes and continually put their hands out for more money?

More money?

You've heard of elder abuse - what about the children?

You're losing points, Clickieboy.

Most Asians follow the Confucian way of respecting and caring for elders. There is no social pension system to take care of the elderly in most of Asia either. Tradition, Clickie, tradition. And I see this one as appropriate. Both men and women contribute. Bar girls are not limited to Thailand; this tradition of selling off the young female children has been happening for centuries throughout Asia; in the West, they just parceled the daughters off as chattel. Remember?

Most Asians follow the Confucian way of respecting and caring for elders. There is no social pension system to take care of the elderly in most of Asia either. Tradition, Clickie, tradition. And I see this one as appropriate. Both men and women contribute. Bar girls are not limited to Thailand; this tradition of selling off the young female children has been happening for centuries throughout Asia; in the West, they just parceled the daughters off as chattel. Remember?

I'm getting tired of being called "boy" by YOU PEOPLE. Either learn some manners or maybe the mods will do their jobs. What do you say moderators?

Hi

Excellent observation - and exactly why we made the decision to bring the kids up in Thailand: to instill in them as much as possible those old fashioned/traditional values of family, communtiy and respect for elders.

You are bang on the mark in noting how Western society has lost a lot of those values in it's race for material compensation - and what a poorer society the West has become for that.

My concern is the rate at which Thailand is changing. While it was easy to observe those traditional values practised day to day in Thai society and much longer than 10 years ago, my observation is that it is a fast changing society which in many respects is "catching up" with the West and it's sense of materialism. At this rate it won't be long before the many of the traditional values associated with Thai culture and society wil lbe but a thing of the past. They are still hung onto in rural areas - but for how much longer is a good question.

MF

I'm getting tired of being called "boy" by YOU PEOPLE. Either learn some manners or maybe the mods will do their jobs. What do you say moderators?

Jet, be gentle with clickie. He hates where he lives and is having a hard time of it. I think he needs a chill-pill and some nappy-time. :o

Hi

TBWG :D

I take issue with this and here is why: While Thais are taught to respect and care for the elderly, at what cost do they do this? Case in point: How many Issan girls become hookers to support the family? And how many of these families either look the other way, acknowledge their daughters are prostitutes and continually put their hands out for more money?

More money?

You've heard of elder abuse - what about the children?

OK then, when someone points out the good things here in thailand, you have to point out the bad things to deny the existence of the good things.

So every bloody person who supports his/her parents in thailand is a bloody hooker!

Oh yes you should have the right to complain! :o

Funny, you people just get offended so easily. You must be giving the farangs good reputation in thailand. If you don't like it, just go home! Who is abducting you?

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that. I especially like older people for their wisdom and memories. Sh*t, I can listen to war stories forever.

Hi Jet Gorgan

Thanks for positive feedback, the old fella giving the finger at the end is is quite a celebrity in the UK and is over 100 and still working :D

Tony Blair would like everyone to follow his example and then the pension crisis would disappear overnight :o

Take Care

TBWG :D

Quote meemiathai:

OK then, when someone points out the good things here in thailand, you have to point out the bad things to deny the existence of the good things.

So every bloody person who supports his/her parents in thailand is a bloody hooker!

Oh yes you should have the right to complain!

I still support my blind, ageing mother in law in Germany (not cheap) and I'm not a BG (all the bars turned me away when I applied and suggested a career in the circus).

If that's where all the immoral earnings go, then I say respect to the BGs.

Loved that video clip.

Without Farang how many businesses would survive?? No hookers old people starving, no Internet shops, car and motorcycles not sold, all the services.... Just become a wasteground.

Lets face it most businesses are rin by Farang or Chinese... just a point of view.

Edited by john1000

Awww, Gwertz, I thought you were a BG! :o You're taking the fun out of my life. But I think it wonderful you look after your Mom.

TBWG: that gentleman is 100? I read about another 100-yr-old in the UK who is still working in the plumbing trade; he was miffed when he had to stay home until he could get an ingrown toenail treated. That's two off the pensions list.

:o:D :D

Awww, Gwertz, I thought you were a BG! :o You're taking the fun out of my life. But I think it wonderful you look after your Mom.

TBWG: that gentleman is 100? I read about another 100-yr-old in the UK who is still working in the plumbing trade; he was miffed when he had to stay home until he could get an ingrown toenail treated. That's two off the pensions list.

Ex BG, I failed the BG test JG.

An old German paid for my BF and for 4 girls too.

Why 4 girls?

They had to hold me down.

I hated it!

Never again! :D

But I kid you not, my mother in law would be stuck in a depressing communal home if somebody didn't pay the supplements for some real comforts and proper care.

I don't begrudge her a penny.

Her grandkids hardly know her and don't help so............

BTW, her daughter, my wife, died recently so - responsibilty is not just a Thai thing is it?

Hey Im 99!! Wifey always says farang" live long time" guess thats why I married her 13 years younger than myself so we should die about the same time??? Her Mum died at 67 so based on this I have got to die at about 80?????????????? oh my satan Ive only got 37 years left!!!!!!!!!!

Without Farang how many businesses would survive?? No hookers old people starving, no Internet shops, car and motorcycles not sold, all the services.... Just become a wasteground.

Lets face it most businesses are rin by Farang or Chinese... just a point of view.

Really?

I normally (not always, but normally) check the facts.

Just finished off one more book written by a Social Anthropologist. They all claim that the so called sex tourists actually represent a very small % of the customer base in Thailand. They are just more visible, which make people believe that most prostitutes are involved mostly with tourists (or expats).

Most businesses run by Farangs or Chinese?

Farangs? Nope!

Thai-Chinese, yes. But these are families that have been here for many generations already.

In other words, Thais.

Hey Im 99!!

No you are not. Ask 86. I am 99. :o Oh, boy.

Sorry, Jet Is 99 and I'm 86

That's all there is to it.

Rubbish!! Stay out of my ice cream fanatasies mmmmmmmmmmmmm "99 with juice and a flake, oh dear i think Ive gone off at a tangent?????

Eeeeeeeek no help required thanks for the offer though XX!!!!!!
I thought your name looked familiar :D are you the Daft Koala or the Hairynosed Wombat , they brought me out from england to look after in 96 :o you see I was the Curator of Gondwana!! as far as respect for us juveniles over the age of 60 goes, the thai people are leading lights as far as my wife and I are concerned, not like in UK or even in some places here in australia, pensioners become 2nd or 3rd class citizens something to be ignored or exploited and ripped off,We will continue to grow old disgracefully and covet the respect and favour of our thai friends :D Nignoy