The Biggest Insect Museum In Asia-Pacific To Be Built In Chiang Mai

Jai Dee

Government approves 16 million baht-budget for the biggest insect museum in Asia-Pacific

The interim government has approved a budget of 16 million baht to build the biggest Insects Museum in Southeast Asia at the northern province of Chiang Mai. The project will start in October next year and will be completed within three years.

The project will have a collection of insects, specimen database of mosquitoes and black flies for education in Thailand while local staff will be trained at the UK and the US.

Dr. Weerachai Na Nakhon (วีระชัย ณ นคร), the Director of Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden, presided over the opening of the “Taxonomic Capacity Building in Support of Biodiversity Conservation in Thailand” project, and it is funded by the Darwin Initiative.

The British Museum and the Smithsonian Institute of America are providing expertise for the period of three years to implementing the researches and developing the database information.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 May 2007

Government approves 16 million baht-budget for the biggest insect museum in Asia-Pacific

The interim government has approved a budget of 16 million baht to build the biggest Insects Museum in Southeast Asia at the northern province of Chiang Mai. The project will start in October next year and will be completed within three years.

The project will have a collection of insects, specimen database of mosquitoes and black flies for education in Thailand while local staff will be trained at the UK and the US.

If they are looking for speciments then my house had about 6 million mosquitos buzzing around the bedroom last night. Actually all jokes aside this is good news. CM already has a very good insect museum and the extra money will improve the facilities no end. Not sure if it is going to be a major feature on the "things must do in Thailand" for most tourists but culturally and scientifically it is a good idea.

CB

My second youngest son will be jumping for joy when he hears about this. He is a budding entomologist at 8 years and already collects every insect imaginable. Our bedroom is currently lit up at night with jars of flashing fire flies.

Brilliant news.

Dr. Weerachai Na Nakhon (วีระชัย ณ นคร), the Director of Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden, presided over the opening of the “Taxonomic Capacity Building in Support of Biodiversity Conservation in Thailand” project, and it is funded by the Darwin Initiative.

The British Museum and the Smithsonian Institute of America are providing expertise for the period of three years to implementing the researches and developing the database information.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 May 2007

Just a play on words/coincidence ??????

Maybe a bug museum as a tribute... ?????

:o

CM already has a very good insect museum ... Not sure if it is going to be a major feature on the "things must do in Thailand" for most tourists but culturally and scientifically it is a good idea.

CB

If you have not been to the little museum of insects you are missing one of the quirky little treasures of CM. The nice lady [the widow of a passionate entomologist] who runs the place is charming.

They sell the greatest T-shirts I have ever seen ... silk-screened with a buzzing mosquito, the caption reads ... "Get to know them and you will understand" :o

-NG

Excellent.

The project will have a collection of insects, specimen database of mosquitoes and black flies for education in Thailand

Just wondering what they're planning to teach them :o ?

Edited by WaiWai

Excellent.
The project will have a collection of insects, specimen database of mosquitoes and black flies for education in Thailand

Just wondering what they're planning to teach them :D ?

Well staff is going to Uk & US for training,,,,,,, so maybe they are going to teach them English ??

:o

"If you have not been to the little museum of insects you are missing one of the quirky little treasures of CM. The nice lady [the widow of a passionate entomologist] who runs the place is charming."

I've been here 3 yrs+ n never managed to make it in. I thought the Dr. was alive?! Maybe he died in the time I've been telling myself "you've got to go there some day." Too bad. Read an article on him many yrs back and he sounded like quite a fun and interesting fellow. Anybody with more info on his passing ? And how abut if any of his legacy or work will go on into the project ? Sometimes the big grandiose projects overshadow the actual cool and informative smaller ones that the people really enjoy more.

.... I thought the Dr. was alive?! Maybe he died in the time I've been telling myself "you've got to go there some day." Too bad. ...

Hold that thought ... I may be wrong about the doctor's passing :o (reminds me of a famous Mark Twain quote) I was there about 6 or 7 years ago and my Thai was atrocious at that time. (it's only half-atrocious, now) I could easily have misunderstood her explanation of the founder's absence.

-NG

"Mosquitos ... Get to know them and you will understand" ... still cracks me up. :D