Thai 'Condom King' Wins Gates Health Award

Jai Dee

Thai 'Condom King' wins Gates health award

A non-profit family-planning group founded by Thailand's "Condom King" has won the US$1 million ($1.39 million) Gates Award for Global Health, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has announced.

The Population and Community Development Association of Thailand (PDA) won the 2007 award in recognition of its work in family planning and Aids prevention, the foundation said.

"Mechai Viravaidya is widely known as Thailand's 'Condom King,' a testament to his extraordinary popularity as well as his personal leadership in family planning and HIV prevention," Dr. Nils Daulaire, president and chief executive officer of the Global Health Council, said in a statement.

"The world needs more leaders like Mechai, who are willing to tackle taboo subjects like sex and HIV/Aids directly in order to save lives."

As part of the message, Viravaidya's group runs the popular Cabbages and Condoms restaurant in central Bangkok, serving Thai cuisine in a leafy garden decked out with holiday lights.

The name refers to his goal of making condoms as common as the leafy vegetable.

The Gates Foundation, run by the multibillionaire founder of Microsoft and his wife, said the PDA was set up in 1974 to provide family planning education to women in rural Thailand.

It helped establish Thailand's national HIV prevention campaign in 1991, which led to a dramatic decline in new infections. Thailand's programme is perhaps best known for its liberal use of condoms.

"PDA has trained nearly 3000 health workers from 50 countries in HIV prevention, family planning, adolescent reproductive health, and other health issues," the Gates Foundation said.

Source: NZ Herald 30 May 2007

Thai 'Condom King' wins Gates health award

A non-profit family-planning group founded by Thailand's "Condom King" has won the US$1 million ($1.39 million) Gates Award for Global Health, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has announced.

The Population and Community Development Association of Thailand (PDA) won the 2007 award in recognition of its work in family planning and Aids prevention, the foundation said.

"Mechai Viravaidya is widely known as Thailand's 'Condom King,' a testament to his extraordinary popularity as well as his personal leadership in family planning and HIV prevention," Dr. Nils Daulaire, president and chief executive officer of the Global Health Council, said in a statement.

"The world needs more leaders like Mechai, who are willing to tackle taboo subjects like sex and HIV/Aids directly in order to save lives."

As part of the message, Viravaidya's group runs the popular Cabbages and Condoms restaurant in central Bangkok, serving Thai cuisine in a leafy garden decked out with holiday lights.

The name refers to his goal of making condoms as common as the leafy vegetable.

The Gates Foundation, run by the multibillionaire founder of Microsoft and his wife, said the PDA was set up in 1974 to provide family planning education to women in rural Thailand.

It helped establish Thailand's national HIV prevention campaign in 1991, which led to a dramatic decline in new infections. Thailand's programme is perhaps best known for its liberal use of condoms.

"PDA has trained nearly 3000 health workers from 50 countries in HIV prevention, family planning, adolescent reproductive health, and other health issues," the Gates Foundation said.

Source: NZ Herald 30 May 2007

But is he blackisted from Vatican City? :o

Congratulations to Khun Mechai, he deserves the recognition. :o

I "third" that (=one after the person who "seconds")

Heartfelt congratulations to Khun Mechai

Yes; Khun Mechai is a remarkable person in more than one way.

During one of the many conversations, I was honored to have with him, at his stunning Pattaya Cabbages & Condoms resort (Soi Asia Hotel, Pratuhmnak Hill), he told me that this property had been in his family a long time. In fact his forebeares built a Teak Thai home on it, many many years ago.

When Khun Mechai started to re-develop the property, he carefully took down the old homestaed and re-used every scrap of teak in the making of the furniture his guests use every day.

He explained to me "In this way; the spiritual contents of that effort of so many years ago, has not left the land, but is still present here today, albeit in a different form".

This goes a long way in explaining the true character of this man who I'm proud to be able to call a "friend".

JGK/Pattaya

Congratulations to Khun Mechai, he deserves the recognition. :D

I "third" that (=one after the person who "seconds")

Heartfelt congratulations to Khun Mechai

Yes; Khun Mechai is a remarkable person in more than one way.

During one of the many conversations, I was honored to have with him, at his stunning Pattaya Cabbages & Condoms resort (Soi Asia Hotel, Pratuhmnak Hill), he told me that this property had been in his family a long time. In fact his forebeares built a Teak Thai home on it, many many years ago.

When Khun Mechai started to re-develop the property, he carefully took down the old homestaed and re-used every scrap of teak in the making of the furniture his guests use every day.

He explained to me "In this way; the spiritual contents of that effort of so many years ago, has not left the land, but is still present here today, albeit in a different form".

This goes a long way in explaining the true character of this man who I'm proud to be able to call a "friend".

JGK/Pattaya

Seconded. I can't call him a friend but met him also at Cabbages & Condoms at Pratumak Hill. An amazing man but also very kind and gentle.

One of Thailand's greatest men.

LaoPo :o

mmmmm

millionaires giving millionaires millions

yes that sounds about right

I am putting my money on a little known company in Australia that is making a nano gel to use as a lubricant and also to put on the condoms. Human trials in Africa have begun.

Maybe Bill hasnt heard about them. They have been trialing this in Africa and other much needed places.

1 Million dollars would have bought so many treatments.

BTW it acts against herpes, HIV and is a contraceptive. THe only treatment of its kind.

To bad Bill - you could have saved millions of Africans - perhaps you like Thai better.

Anyway good luck to the millionaires that made another million - pity the Thai bahts so strong - maybe you lost about 10% on this one :o

If I'm not splitting hairs, and I AM contributing, then I have something to add.

Bill Gates' dad runs the foundation - Bill Gates Senior. Bill and Melinda are founders and have input I'd wager, however.

Gates Sr says he has his dream job, and seems like a truly good guy (for a lawyer). :o I think Bill's mom was a librarian.

Good for Mechai! Who woulda thunk it back in the day?