Will this mobile phone be able to provide access to ASQ/Vaccination forms?

xylophone

I'm wondering if there is someone out there who understands more about how mobile phones work, than I do, which probably wouldn't be too hard!

I currently have an old Nokia flip phone which suits me as it does everything I want with regards to telephone calls and SMSs, but it is not Android, so will be no good for the forms et cetera which are being sent out on smartphones – – this problem came to light on the ivermectin/vaccination thread and it got me thinking.

Try as I might, I cannot get used to smartphones with the QWERTY touchpad, and the fact that I have fat fingertips doesn't help!

That's why I like the pushbutton old-style Nokia phone. HOWEVER I have found a phone which incorporates both of these features, a touchscreen and pushbuttons so that I can use whichever one I want.

However what I do need is someone to tell me whether or not this phone would suffice for the necessary forms et cetera which are needed and the likes of LINE and others like it.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Folder G1600(2016) 3.8 Inch Quad Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM  and although it was released a few years ago, it can be bought online.

I would truly appreciate feedback on this from people that have knowledge of such things.

Thank you in anticipation.

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Try as I might, I cannot get used to smartphones with the QWERTY touchpad, and the fact that I have fat fingertips doesn't help!

Do you think you have the fattest fingers in the World.

QWERTY has been in use since typewriters were invented.

If a phone has a fairly recent version of Android it should work with apps.

Edited by KannikaP

48 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do you think you have the fattest fingers in the World.

If a phone has a fairly recent version of Android it should work with apps.

Sure, I know that and I have a QWERTY keyboard (a very large one) that I use occasionally with my computer, most times though, like now, I use the Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition program as it is easy to do.

I also have a problem with my wrist area as well as having had the cartilage and a few bone chips taken out of my elbow, which doesn't help with steadiness, and I've gotten used to the button type keyboard now, so I would like to stick with it.

The phone I mentioned is about five years old and is a version of android, but I'm not sure if it would work, which is why I posted this.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how much is that phone? you can get good new smartphones for 3k-5k now days

The problem being that smartphones do not have the keys/buttons as does my old Nokia, and I've gotten used to it and I want to stick with it if possible, hence my post.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

QWERTY is still standard on all phones

Not on the Nokia flip phones.

All I want to know is if the phone I mentioned in my post has the capability to work with LINE and other apps that will enable me to view and interact with the ASQ/Vaccine apps.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Sure, I know that and I have a QWERTY keyboard (a very large one) that I use occasionally with my computer, most times though, like now, I use the Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition program as it is easy to do.

I also have a problem with my wrist area as well as having had the cartilage and a few bone chips taken out of my elbow, which doesn't help with steadiness, and I've gotten used to the button type keyboard now, so I would like to stick with it.

The phone I mentioned is about five years old and is a version of android, but I'm not sure if it would work, which is why I posted this.

Just trying to help, hope is this same one..., specifications on AliExpress page 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32820200624.html

2021-09-10_210249.png

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

The problems I envisage are with the version of Android; Original Folder is 5.1 or some such and Folder 2 is 6.0.

Chances are the Apps require a minimum of 5.0 or 6.0; so any updates to the Apps that require a higher version could leave you out in the cold.

For this reason the Folder 2 gives you a bit more breathing space. I also imagine applications might be designed for higher resolution screens, but again it is just speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

The problems I envisage are with the version of Android; Original Folder is 5.1 or some such and Folder 2 is 6.0.

Chances are the Apps require a minimum of 5.0 or 6.0; so any updates to the Apps that require a higher version could leave you out in the cold.

For this reason the Folder 2 gives you a bit more breathing space. I also imagine applications might be designed for higher resolution screens, but again it is just speculation.

Thank you Bruno123............at last someone who has answered my question, so I will look into the Folder 2 more closely AND if you or anyone else can elaborate, then I would be most grateful.

Thanks again Bruno123. 

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks and see the post from Bruno123 as he has given me a lead.

that is the main thing i hate on Android ..... the too often updating to higher Android versions , as i had to end a good working Samsung J1 Smart , because not updatable anymore ...., and so need to buy once more another new version , as my Kasikorn bank app was not workable anymore with that version i had

I wonder if Windows Smartphones might be better to keep longer updated ?

Edited by david555

"Try as I might, I cannot get used to smartphones with the QWERTY touchpad, and the fact that I have fat fingertips doesn't help!"

On most/maybe all smartphones you can increase the size of the keyboard area. Go online and find operating manual for your phone, and see how to expand the keyboard area.

I also have fat fingers. My smartphone is a Samsung J7, when I want to key in an SMA message I just turn the device 180 degrees (so that in my hand it's landscape view rather than portrait view, that automatically spread the keyboard and makes it bigger. Dead easy.

Why fight smartphones, get used to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david555 said:

that is the main thing i hate on Android ..... the too often updating to higher Android versions , as i had to end a good working Samsung J1 Smart , because not updatable anymore ...., and so need to buy once more another new version , as my Kasikorn bank app was not workable anymore with that version i had

If your model and you don't mind to experiment: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-7-1-2-lineage-os-14-sm-j100h-discontinue.3818335/

• Like 2

Consider getting a small bluetooth keyboard, and pair it with your phone. Then you can prop your phone up sideways and type away on the keyboard. they are a soft touch so shouldnt upset your hands too much.

As some one said, get a tablet, it has a bigger screen so easier to read, and you can again use the bluetooth keyboard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree re tablet, and it doesn't need to be a full size model. My mother (sadly since departed) wanted to try to keep up but her shaking made it very difficult to use a 'standard' smartphone. We bought an 'all purpose' ipad, with screen about 14cm X 14cm, already ready as a smartphone and of course can be used as a good camera. She mastered the ipad quite well. The QWERTY keyboard was quite big and she used it easily. As time went to she heard about many smartphone applications and most got installed into her ipad. The one she was most proud of was the access to doing her banking online.  

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

Something else you might consider is a more modern Android phone combined with a nice Bluetooth Keyboard. 

The benefits of this would be you can keep the Android system updated, you'll enjoy a larger screen (making seeing things easier), the phone will have a nice camera (always useful).  You'd have a proper tactile keyboard which would be even easier than the buttons on your existing phone.

Here is an example (I'm not recommending this one, its just to show you what it looks like) 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/android-portable-keyboard-i2403704999-s8221548444.html

There are some pretty good Android Tablets if you are not someone who carries their phone around if you wanted a bigger screen than a phone. 

You might consider keeping your existing phone and getting a new Android phone or Tablet that you only use on Wifi, that way you would not need a sim card for the new phone or tablet.  But it would mean only using it at home or outside when you can get free wifi.  Also note that if you want to use the device outside with a sim card (data connection) you will need one that can use a sim card.  All phones do of course, but not all tablets (most do but not all, so check before you buy one).

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, david555 said:

Microsoft abandoned Windows phones a while ago. 

Android doesn't update that often, but manufacturers release cheap phones with chips that won't be updateable. 

It's not the fault of Android, it's the fault of manufacturers not making it clear that the reason their phones are cheap is that they are using old outdated components.  

• Thanks 2

I was told yesterday Nokia have just brought out their old style phone with 4G but i think the screen is small. I also have probs. with touch screen phones, old broken finger and always inadvertently touch the wrong dam buttons, I just tried downloading the dragon translator "translate from dragon to English, tried putting in Thai but to no avail, 

Is Dragon the Welsh Language ? :cheesy:  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Hi Bruno123, thank you for your post and thanks to a few others for theirs, and I will get onto the shortly, but to investigate your post a little further, if I got the phone with the Android 6 version on it, is it this which restricts the possibility of receiving the vaccine App and similar, or is it changes to the App itself??

Also, how do I access the App? (Google store or similar, for example?).

Bear in mind that I will not be using the phone for other apps, games or anything else apart from phone calls and the occasional SMS and I have my PC for all of the internet/email stuff.

Thanks again. 

1.  Do you really need access to vaccine site?  I did everything using home computer for my 2 AZ shots and got a certificate which others can verify with scan - no need for my having smart phone.  Why pay for data that I do not need?  Yes understand I am the exception in today's zombie phone stare world.  Prefer to use computer at home and watch people/world when out.

2.  For me it is battery life (none) and feel (block of ice) and falling (destroyed with a two foot drop) and updating required daily.  On/Off/SMS is enough for me.

3.  If buying old style make sure it is using current tech - anything below 3G may be an issue now or soon - there is a lot of 2G still being advertised.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Something else you might consider is a more modern Android phone combined with a nice Bluetooth Keyboard. 

The benefits of this would be you can keep the Android system updated, you'll enjoy a larger screen (making seeing things easier), the phone will have a nice camera (always useful).  You'd have a proper tactile keyboard which would be even easier than the buttons on your existing phone.

Here is an example (I'm not recommending this one, its just to show you what it looks like) 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/android-portable-keyboard-i2403704999-s8221548444.html

There are some pretty good Android Tablets if you are not someone who carries their phone around if you wanted a bigger screen than a phone. 

You might consider keeping your existing phone and getting a new Android phone or Tablet that you only use on Wifi, that way you would not need a sim card for the new phone or tablet.  But it would mean only using it at home or outside when you can get free wifi.  Also note that if you want to use the device outside with a sim card (data connection) you will need one that can use a sim card.  All phones do of course, but not all tablets (most do but not all, so check before you buy one).

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps! 

It certainly does Freddy42OZ and thank you for taking the time to post with some great information which has got me thinking!

The crux of the matter is I don't want to carry a big 6 inch plus smart phone around with me, and this combined with the small QWERTY keyboard puts me off. This when I only use my mobile for quick phone calls.

The little portable keyboard you have featured is just brilliant, and I will explore that further, however something else you said has fired a neuron, and that would be about keeping my existing phone, which really does everything I want at the moment and getting a cheap android phone which I can use on my Wi-Fi system at home, alongside of my computer.

That would enable me to keep my current Sim card in my old Nokia and use a new smart phone via my Wi-Fi connection for the other stuff I mentioned. A possible breakthrough thank you Freddy, much appreciated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  Do you really need access to vaccine site?  I did everything using home computer for my 2 AZ shots and got a certificate which others can verify with scan - no need for my having smart phone.  Why pay for data that I do not need?  Yes understand I am the exception in today's zombie phone stare world.  Prefer to use computer at home and watch people/world when out.

2.  For me it is battery life (none) and feel (block of ice) and falling (destroyed with a two foot drop) and updating required daily.  On/Off/SMS is enough for me.

3.  If buying old style make sure it is using current tech - anything below 3G may be an issue now or soon - there is a lot of 2G still being advertised.

Excellent, thank you lopburi3, and I had wondered whether it was a bit like overkill, just to get a brand-new smart phone to get apps for the likes of vaccinations et cetera, because I wouldn't use it for anything else, as my Nokia (3G) does everything I want, and for the more hefty stuff, I have my PC!

Agree with everything you have said about battery life, feel and updating, whereas my tiny Nokia 3710 is unobtrusive, easy to carry around because it's a flip phone and does everything I want with regard to calls and messages..

As regards the certificate, did you print it from your computer, because I don't have a printer, however I could download it onto a USB and get it printed at the local copy shop.

Thanks again for your reply, because yours along with a couple of others on here have really opened up some avenues I should explore, before splashing out on a large smart phone which I really don't want.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

As regards the certificate, did you print it from your computer, because I don't have a printer, however I could download it onto a USB and get it printed at the local copy shop.

It was provided by Phyathai2 hospital for everyone getting second shot - QR code at top that can be used to access official database and certificate itself gives full information so just showing should be fine for any potential requirement.  There are still many Thai using Nokia type phones who will not be changing anytime soon - the idea that everyone must have a smartphone never found support for more than newspaper headlines.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It was provided by Phyathai2 hospital for everyone getting second shot - QR code at top that can be used to access official database and certificate itself gives full information so just showing should be fine for any potential requirement.  There are still many Thai using Nokia type phones who will not be changing anytime soon - the idea that everyone must have a smartphone never found support for more than newspaper headlines.  

Thanks yet again for your informative post, and as regards the Nokia type phones, then I have to agree with you, as what research I could find shows there to be more than 1 billion of these phones in use at this present time, so some people still rely on them.

The funny thing is that when I have changed one of my old Nokia phones for a different/newer one I have always had someone wanting it to be able to give to some older member of their family, so I have obliged.

I have my second jab on September 19, so I will look out for the QR code.

Much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, JayClay said:

What's the biggest issue; the lack of physical keys, or the size of the qwerty keys on a touchscreen?

If it's just the latter then you can download a T9 keyboard from the Android play store and, bingo, big chunky retro style input.

Several issues actually JayClay, however I think I'm close to solving them.

Firstly I don't want a large six-inch chunky phone to have to carry around the place.

Secondly I don't like the size of the QWERTY keyboard on these phones – too small

Thirdly I am used to the physical buttons and how they work with regards to messages

My Nokia mobile flip phone is used only for phone calls and the occasional SMS message, whereas my PC does all of the rest with regards to emails, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.

Freddy42OZ has suggested a phone similar to mine (Nokia candy bar) which has a Wi-Fi capability, and that would suit very well with regards to what little use it would have, so I wouldn't have to carry a clunky smart phone around with me, and it could stay at home and occasionally connect to my Wi-Fi to get the likes of the QR code/vaccination/ASQ stuff downloaded.

Or of course, I could leave things as they were and see what transpires by using the Internet from my PC, as. per Lopburi's suggestion.

One solution that could solve all my needs would be that I do upgrade to the Samsung flip phone (as posted by David555) as it has dual capacity for touchscreen and buttons as well as being able to connect via my Wi-Fi.

So that possible "solution" could fit all my needs.