Buddha G-strings Taken Off Site After Thai Fury

LaoPo

Buddha G-strings taken off site after Thai fury

Wed May 30, 2007 2:25am ET

BANGKOK (Reuters) - An American Web site offering G-string underwear and T-shirts for dogs emblazoned with picture of Buddha dropped them from its sales list on Wednesday after protests by predominantly Buddhist Thailand.

"It is a good thing they understand our sensitivity," Foreign Ministry spokesman Piriya Khempon said a day after saying the products sold on California-based on-line store CafePress.com had offended Thais and Buddhists elsewhere.

The site sells more than 70 items, ranging from T-shirts to teddy bears to beer pitchers bearing pictures of religious figures and philosophers from Hindu god Shiva to Jesus Christ and Mahatma Gandhi.

Although the site removed advertisements for Buddha G-strings and dog T-shirts, items depicting Jesus and Shiva remained.

About 90 percent of the 64 million people in Thailand, where dogs are regarded as inferior beings, are Buddhist

source: Reuters

LaoPo

Yeah, they must be regarded as 'Inferior beings' as, didnt you read about the drunken Buddhist Monks bbqing the dog still alive the other day!

Buddhism, lol!

That was a real horror storie, I hope those two monks have a bad day with Buddha on their day of reckoning.

Anyway i dont care about those g-strings, my girl Thyra (my dog) wont look all that sexy in a pair im sure :o

Regards :D

Its not ok for Americans to put a print of the said "Buddha" on a pair of pants? - but its perfectly OK for Thai Buddhist monks to get drunk & capture and BBQ/ slowly kill a dog (search the threads) 5555!

Who said it was ok to BBQ the dog?

Again, this is a typical good old greed, where people just walk over other cultures as long as money can be made.

Just as the 2 main countries in the world that actually make underwear of their own flag, but get angry if someone burns it. The flag that is, not their underwear.

And then we have the ignorant fool with the remark "Buddhism, lol!"

Americans, lol! (Silly comment isnt it?)

Belive it or not, I know most of you do, but there ARE actually some good Buddhists around.

With so many monks in this country, and many of them being monks just for a few weeks, it just have to be some bad apples.

Its not ok for Americans to put a print of the said "Buddha" on a pair of pants? - but its perfectly OK for Thai Buddhist monks to get drunk & capture and BBQ/ slowly kill a dog (search the threads) 5555!

Again, this is a typical good old greed, where people just walk over other cultures as long as money can be made.

Just as the 2 main countries in the world that actually make underwear of their own flag, but get angry if someone burns it. The flag that is, not their underwear.

Belive it or not, I know most of you do, but there ARE actually some good Buddhists around.

With so many monks in this country, and many of them being monks just for a few weeks, it just have to be some bad apples.

Exactly. It's just unbelievable that some people are trying to say that it's OK for Americans to put Buddha image on G strings because some bad monks had BBQ'ed a dog.

Would it be OK for Thais to piss on a cross or a picture of Jesus because some Catholic priests have molested children?

Some people.

I would like to see anybody try and BBQ my Bangkaew whilst he is still alive, he would rip them to pieces

Solen01--You have a Bangkaew? Had one too till some nice neighbor poisoned her. She was the sweetest thing, but a trouble maker, that needed constant attention.

Know where I can get another?

Exactly. It's just unbelievable that some people are trying to say that it's OK for Americans to put Buddha image on G strings because some bad monks had BBQ'ed a dog.

Would it be OK for Thais to piss on a cross or a picture of Jesus because some Catholic priests have molested children?

Some people.

Apparently it is OK for some Thai youngsters to wear shirts with Nazi symbols on them. Sensitivity is a two way street!

Apparently it is OK for some Thai youngsters to wear shirts with Nazi symbols on them. Sensitivity is a two way street!

There have been discussions on another thread, sorry not a clue which one, about the swastika and it's use/display in Thailand. Basically the symbol was around long before the Nazis adopted it and it's display in LoS has no political undertones. The kids don't know what the hel_l it signifies, they've probably never been taught anything about the second world war so it doesn't bother me.

But putting any religious symbols on underwear is disrespectful in the extreme and indicative of the depths to which some will go to make a buck. Oh, but what a difference it would have been had they chosen Allah or Mohammed, I guess they didn't have the balls for that one.

Some people.

IMO,yes it would be.

personally, I get sick of people complaining about their religion and what you can not do or say for fear of offending somebody.<deleted> em! :D

If you don't want to be offended by the Budda,or the JC or the shiva doggie undies...don't look at the site.Simple really. :o

Edited by chuchok

Yup, anything for a buck. That's America, mostly. It's about not understanding the sensitivities of other cultures thoroughly on certain issues. To a lot of Americans, Buddha on underwear is a kinda cool "mash-up" or whatever, just as Jesus, Allah, Dalai Lama, George Bush, Bugs Bunny, Betty Boop, would be. Nice of them to take it down, out of politeness, since they didn't really have to.

The Thais are sensitive to uses of their icons. Nobody knows this better than I do, dealing on a monthly or better basis with the Dept. of Fine Arts and the customs dept. in order to export certain Buddha images. You'd find it hard to believe, but this "tempest in a teapot" actually held off the certification for export of a large amount of bronze statuary yesterday, which isn't even Buddha, but Khmer Devarajas, which are not Thai, nor restricted. One of the banes of my existence here. One in a long line of items which are moving my export business to Vietnam.

Some people.

IMO,yes it would be.

personally, I get sick of people complaining about their religion and what you can not do or say for fear of offending somebody.<deleted> em! :D

If you don't want to be offended by the Budda,or the JC or the shiva doggie undies...don't look at the site.Simple really. :o

Exactly. If we have to take into account every person's (including a profusion of crackpots 'believing' - when it suits them - in every possible illogical, crazy idea) sensitivities in a globalised world, we'll all be curled up in a corner not able to move or speak. I have seen Thai's wearing t-shirts mocking JC dragging his cross. Not a word of objection to offending others mentioned. How about just starting by dropping the farang bit???

Want some consideration? Give some first.

Surely one can do some line drawing somewhere between anything goes and nothing goes?

I mean, I don't want laws against spitting on religions, but isn't it ok to criticize those who are severely and intentionally offensive toward vast millions of people? Or do they get to piss on my neighbor's religion and then I can't respond?

Seems more like if we're going to value tolerance then maybe the sole exception should be intolerance of intolerance, including the underwear in question.

I think the Thai's are letting the company concerned off the hook very mildly.

Could you imagine what would happen if an American company had a "g" string or sex toy with either an effigy of mohammed or a picture of a menorah on it?

Big problem...

Soundman.

Some people.

IMO,yes it would be.

Exactly. If we have to take into account every person's (including a profusion of crackpots 'believing' - when it suits them - in every possible illogical, crazy idea) sensitivities in a globalised world, we'll all be curled up in a corner not able to move or speak. I have seen Thai's wearing t-shirts mocking JC dragging his cross. Not a word of objection to offending others mentioned. How about just starting by dropping the farang bit???

Want some consideration? Give some first.

Amen my brother,

As for the post regarding Thai teenagers wearing nazi crosses out of ignorance..... It is not hard for me to believe they are ignorant, nope that is not difficult to fathom at all.

But if the Thais get to use that excuse why can't others? Or is it only Thais that have a patent on ignorance?

I think the Thai's are letting the company concerned off the hook very mildly.

Could you imagine what would happen if an American company had a "g" string or sex toy with either an effigy of mohammed or a picture of a menorah on it?

Big problem...

Soundman.

Uh, what are "the Thais" less mild options? Try to sue an American company for doing something clearly legal in the States, however much the Thais take offense? Wait till they finish talking about suing google, I guess. 1st Amendment, one of the few things we haven't got rid of yet, but the Bush admin, still has a some time left to wipe that out, too.

BTW, I've seen Jesus boxers, and don't doubt the Star of David and other Hebrew gear is for sale. As I mentioned earlier, in the States, if it sells, it's for sale. I wish it didn't happen, because it actually affects my business here, as surreal as that is (see above, or not).

Edited by calibanjr.

(snip)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about the symbol. For the town, see Swastika, Ontario.

A "right-facing" Swastika in a decorative Hindu formThe swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वास्तिक ) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) or left-facing (卍) forms. The term is derived from Sanskrit svasti, meaning well-being. The Thai greeting sawasdee is from the same root, carrying the same implication.

Uh, what are "the Thais" less mild options? Try to sue an American company for doing something clearly legal in the States, however much the Thais take offense? Wait till they finish talking about suing google, I guess. 1st Amendment, one of the few things we haven't got rid of yet, but the Bush admin, still has a some time left to wipe that out, too.

BTW, I've seen Jesus boxers, and don't doubt the Star of David and other Hebrew gear is for sale. As I mentioned earlier, in the States, if it sells, it's for sale. I wish it didn't happen, because it actually affects my business here, as surreal as that is (see above, or not).

If a picture of mohammed appeared on a sexually provocative garment you would probably have 1,000 muslim clerics denouncing it followed by radical muslim terrorists planning suicide bombings against the USA.

I think the Thai reaction is mild compared to that.

"Excuse me - that offends us - please stop selling it." A polite & mild request wouldn't you say...

Cheers,

Soundman.

Regardless of the Thai government's motive for getting upset at Buddha G-strings, the concern for any serious Buddhist is that Buddha images serve as a reminder to be mindful of the present moment. They will soon lose that function if they are all over commercial products, particularly since consumerism runs counter to Buddhism. But the Buddha is cool for Westerners, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before some overseas company comes up with a Buddha Beer...