Tourist Visa In Vientian

I plan to travel to Lao soon for a visa. I currently am on a 30 day stamp (my first in this year and in this passport), and prior to that just finished a 'non-immigrant B' granted for teaching. These are the only stamps or visas in my relatively new passport, other than the Lao one from the visa run a month ago.

Can anyone advise me if I have a chance at a regular 60 day Tourist Visa at the Thai embassy in Vientian, considering the state of my passport. If not, and I must re-enter under a stamp, will I be forced to show a 'return ticket'?

I'm guessing once they see the work-visa and the one previous stamp, there is no way they will allow a regular tourist visa.

I think you won't have any problems. I got a tourist visa in Vientienne in March. It was my second tourist visa in a row, my first being from Penang.

Before those tourist visas, I had something like 30+ visa exemption stamps.

Granted, I never had a non imm B visa for working. But I doubt that will make a difference. You should be ok.

I used to think people were worrying about nothing in regards to already having a few stamps in your passport, I have to confess now, as someone who arrived shortly before October '06, even I'm getting looks of disapproval when I go before immigration as they flip through my book.

Wide-eyed, naive and unable to make calculations with the local currency seem to be preferred traits for foreigners. If you can speak more Thai than "sawadee" or "check-bin", you've stayed too long. :o

Thanks very much JeebusJones and Lopbury3 for your reassurances.

But like Cali, I feel very paranoid at the border:

I used to think people were worrying about nothing in regards to already having a few stamps in your passport, I have to confess now, as someone who arrived shortly before October '06, even I'm getting looks of disapproval when I go before immigration as they flip through my book.

Last time I went through immigration I got the most unfriendly looks both leaving and returning. The cop behind the desk (I call them cops.. a pig is a pig) looked at my passport like it had a turd in it, and carefully went over every page, pausing to give me hostile appraising looks every few seconds, pursing his lips with distaste. I definitely got the feeling he enjoyed the power of his postion, and wished he had enough to just deny me entrance arbitrarily. (btw I am the most mild-mannered, neat and clean of farang - no tattoos, facial hair, etc. here). I wonder if by this visit the news of the new 'airline ticket' requirement will have given him a new tool to throw his weight around?

Opebo, I'm very much the same as you. Middle-aged, well dressed, always respectful and polite. They (immigration) just seem generally unpleasant most of the time. They say they want quality people but in reality I think they just want 30 day tourists who shovel money at the locals and then go home.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with regards to your application. When I was at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet they would've given a tourist visa to a water buffalo if it had 1,000 baht and a passport. Also no mention of 10k security or onward ticket. It all just makes you wonder. :o

No problem at all. just got third t.visa in a row from Vientiane - no q's asked. There were a lot of Africans,Philpinos- some of whom I had good conversation with and many of them were after, and were granted, their fifth,sixth t.visa on the bounce so there you go! Things can, and do change though as we all know.

You have to admit, it's a strange system when people already working illegally on tourist visas are issued more tourist visas and genuine tourists are hamstrung at the border with onward ticket requirements and days limiting counts. Not a criticism mind you , just an observation. :o

Edited by cali4995

I think having the non b in your passport is a red flag that you may be still working in thailand

Surely not. And anyway, Thais don't generally care if you're working illegally. They only care if you're a criminal, you're abusing the 30-day stamp, or you're pissing people off and 'encouraging' them to turn you in.

I had a non-Imm B that expired in April. Went to Laos and got a Tourist Visa no problem. Went today and got a 30-day extension no problem.

In 7 years of visiting/living in Thailand, I've only seen one Thai Customs official who was rude, and that was a woman up in Mae Sai who barked at me for standing at the wrong window. Others have been very polite and smiled - especially after I smiled and said, "Hello .. thank you .. have a nice day." Some officials have even extended courtesies - like one today who, despite my not having all the copies I needed for an extension, told me he'd hold on to my other documents until I ran around the corner to get the copy. There were people in line behind me, but yet he just set my paperwork aside and let me hand him the copy when I came back. Very nice! It cost no time for the other people in line, and saved me waiting 15 minutes.

A smile and a polite disposition go far in Thailand.

When I was at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet, there were a couple of Filipino girls getting tourist visas in the office with me. The consular official actually asked them if they were working as teachers. They had their educational certificates with them and visas granted. Rules and then exceptions. I'm certainly not being judgemental, their schools should furnish them with the correct documentation, not encourage them to work in such a precarious situation. Generally though, when you start bending rules left and right, bad things will happen to an unfortunate few. :o

Edited by cali4995