What to specify as "Other" reason for Covid 60-day extension, since I have a return flight already?

I want to stay in Thailand longer for tourism purposes due to the inability to freely travel the region yet, but I initially entered on a Visa Exempt entry (I'm American) with a return flight booked because without having proof of a return flight, I would not have been allowed to board the plane to come to Thailand.

The Covid-19 60 Day Extension application form has four checkboxes that can be marked as the reason for the extension:

1) I am not permitted to enter the destination country or the pandemic situation of Covid-19 is still ongoing.

2) The embassy/consulate is unable to issue the letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay.

3) No return flight or airline available.

4) Others ______________________________________

Since I can take my return flight to the US but prefer not to, I was thinking of checking the box for "Others" and writing: "Unable to freely travel ASEAN for Thailand tourist entry."

Would marking "Others" and writing that as the reason be a mistake? Basically, I am trying to suggest that the reason is that I can't just re-enter Thailand for continued tourism without having to quarantine again, and am thinking that may be considered an acceptable reason to stay here longer. Has anyone in my same situation (who already has a return flight booked) applied for the Covid extension? What should I mark as the reason then?

Many thanks if anyone can offer insight about the best way to approach getting the extension given my circumstances.

• Haha 1

Click box 1 or 4, and if asked you say you didn't see as much as Thailand as you wanted due to everything being locked down and things are reopening Oct 1.

Edited by bbko

1) is still valid to tick because the pandemic is still going, which is the second clause of the OR in that sentence.

I also tick 4) and explain that it is regarded as unsafe to be travelling right now, and that my home country is also unsafe.

There was one occasion in Samui where I saw applicants being turned away at the desk because they hadn't put enough reasons in the box. The solution seemed to be just to write enough wordy sentences so that the officers didn't really understand what you've written.

• Haha 1

from what i've read, if you came on a visa exemption you need to apply for the 30 day visa extention for tourism purposes first

thats what I did,

I came on a 45day visa exempt, did the 30 day extension for tourism, then I did a 60 day covid extension and I checked the reason #1 box, for the covid pandemic is still ongoing, I did mine at bangkok muang thong thani in early september, no issues and very nice Immigration Officers. Also immigration was nice enough to extend my visa with the covid extension 60 days from my visa expiration date. I read some people only got 60 days from the date they applied.

Edited by dj230

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

from what i've read, if you came on a visa exemption you need to apply for the 30 day visa extention for tourism purposes first

OP, the above is correct. Imm will most likely make you apply for the 30 day 'standard extension' after that you can apply for covid extension. That would have been same for visa exempt and tourist visa entry.

Just tick box 1 or 2. Doesn't matter.

BTW you did not need return flight for boarding pass. Any onward flight will do. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Can anyone kindly tell me if they know whether an additional form, other than the TM7, is required when applying for the 30 day extension?

I am inferring from the replies that if I apply for the 60 day extension I'll just be wasting 1,900 baht and then have to pay another 1,900 to apply for the 30 day extension instead. And only after I've used the 30 day extension, then I can try applying for the 60 day extension.