Phone Operators Told to Block Fraudulent SMS

snoop1130

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will that stop True from sending me 20 SMS's a day. So tired of it.

Haha yes.... and Lazada bombarding me. Plus all the nuisance Thai messages that come in on my phone number I get after a Lazada order. 

• Like 1

The worst one for me is Lazada.

If i open another app to watch a movie Lazada comes up and after trying to close the app a message comes up.

"Are you sure that you want to close this app?"

<deleted> i didnt even open the <deleted>in app in the first place.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will that stop True from sending me 20 SMS's a day. So tired of it.

Changed from True via AIS to Dtac and told the latter I'd cancel the subscription the day I get spam stuff again. Never ever received anything "regular" ever since! 

• Like 1

I worked on fraud detection systems earlier - Visa Fraud and Discover.  These were both for credit-cards, but I showed how the system can be extended to SMS and phone provider companies.

Imagine a large futbol game and toll numbers being broadcast to any number in range via SMS.  Once this is detected as being a fraudulent number it can be stopped by the phone provider.  The sooner this number is put on a fraud list the more money the provider makes by not having to reimburse customers for the calls.  This was pitched in India earlier where they move in several mobile towers for large futbol matches.

I was told by a Thai COO of a very large corporation here that "there isn't any fraud in Thailand" !  Maybe the COO meant they don't have this type of fraud in Thailand ...  Either way they weren't interested.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Haha yes.... and Lazada bombarding me. Plus all the nuisance Thai messages that come in on my phone number I get after a Lazada order. 

Take the Lazada App off your phone and it will stop the Lazada <deleted>. If you are with AIS you can get them to block the spam or you can do yourself from their website on your login. Other service providers not sure, but worth a call to ask.

Cheers

I hope they do it properly. I had many instances of mystery balance drops in past years - finally caught one instance where it wasn't my imagination. The cause? Some video website I most definitely never subscribed to, sending me SMS messages with links to videos, and charging me for it without me even so much as reading the SMS text.

Talked to DTAC, shrugs all around, got refunded after complaining. Rang hotline to speak to tech support to see how it happened, how I got subscribed without my knowledge. 'Maybe I accidentally clicked an ad showing in an app linked to my Google account'. What the actual <deleted>. As if clicking a link by accident is an acceptable method of opt in for paid subscription. Tried to raise an issue with telecommunications authorities, one referred me to a higher level dept, which either bounced or didn't reply. Gave up at that point, language barrier too much to make progress.

11 hours ago, kwak250 said:

The worst one for me is Lazada.

If i open another app to watch a movie Lazada comes up and after trying to close the app a message comes up.

"Are you sure that you want to close this app?"

<deleted> i didnt even open the fookin app in the first place.

Those garbage Chinese apps I delete and only install when I need to order something (then delete again). 

12 hours ago, Litlos said:

Take the Lazada App off your phone and it will stop the Lazada <deleted>. If you are with AIS you can get them to block the spam or you can do yourself from their website on your login. Other service providers not sure, but worth a call to ask.

Cheers

I do a few orders on Lazada so the phone app is sometimes useful, although I admit it is hard to navigate and does not support English very well. I do actually make nearly all my ordering via the website, but my details are splashed all over every package and I bet I would still get nuisance SMS messages from non-Lazada sources.  Some are even about loans....

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

It is truly frustrating as my wife and I are continually having to block these junk SMS's which seem to be increasing in frequency.  Will the phone operators block them ? Well my opinion is that they may pay lip service only and in the main they will just let it continue. After all it's like some forums allow trolls to continue as it generates "clicks" and as we know clicks = baht as do all those SMS's generate baht for the phone operators. Bit like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.