Buying Laptop In Pattaya

flyx

Wattana = almost no choice and very high prices - generally 10-20% over Tukcom

IT centre = Tukcom

The op asked where laptop shops were in Pattaya. Wattana is a laptop shop. I suggest the op check out the prices and SERVICE after purchase in ALL suggested locations and render his own decision.

Also try Liberty Computers in New Plaza next to the Issuzi Dealership on second road. They are english and you can be sure of ongoing support, one thing to be wary of wherever you decide to buy is make sure the software is a genuine original and not a Thai copy which is common in some shopping centers.

Carrefour, and you can use an American Express card, with no extra charge, and earn valuable "Membership Rewards" points, you can use toward your next dream vacation.

I would add that I recently bought a TOSHIBA laptop, a lower model, but brand new, purchased in Ameri-gay for $399, brand new, sealed box, with battery, Windows Vista included, (FRY'S Electronics). That has to be $200 to $300 less than the cheapest you can buy here, cause of the high taxes the government imposes, so they can discourage people from owning and using computers, and discourage them from advancing their society and lives.

It's one thing to put a high tax on luxury goods, like yachts and some high end watches, but computer use should be encouraged. Oh well. What do I know.

In any event, if planning a trip abroad, buy the laptop there, and with the savings, you can deduct, in your mind, the savings from the high cost of your airfare to get there.

Edited by Weho

Also try Liberty Computers in New Plaza next to the Issuzi Dealership on second road. They are english and you can be sure of ongoing support, one thing to be wary of wherever you decide to buy is make sure the software is a genuine original and not a Thai copy which is common in some shopping centers.

JR Texas: Wattana has been there for a long time, the people are nice, and as far as I am concerned trustworthy (always have treated me fairly). That being said, you are no doubt aware of Pantip Plaza in Bangkok.........I know you said "Pattaya" but I would first shop around at Pantip Plaza........more laptops and more bargains.

The best place for lap tops in Pattaya is Tuk Com. They will set it up with one of the more experienced service vendors there like pattaya2u. Shop around because there are some bargains to be had or you could be had. :o

Not to sure about savings on stuff like lap tops

What’s the saving going to be 2000, 3000 baht?

not much. Just check the so called freebies you get with it

Not so free after all, Most times.

Saying that steer clear of high street shops. not enough competition so they do rip you off

Happy bargain hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

steve (the owner uses non original) friend bought a desktop from his shop. cd drive not tested had the fans hooked up backwards Older amd sounded like a 747 not internet ready (forgot the modem card & a couple more issues.

Tukcom city .

steve (the owner uses non original) friend bought a desktop from his shop. cd drive not tested had the fans hooked up backwards Older amd sounded like a 747 not internet ready (forgot the modem card & a couple more issues.

Tukcom city .

As I understand it, desktops are a problem because they are built from all sorts. I bought my last laptop at Pantip Plaza. Went with a list of all the things I wanted and bought at Hardware House. Wouldn't dream of buying a desktop from any of the guys around here again

Shop named Notebook Fever on 3rd floor tuckom,that shop has been there since tuckom opened,,the guy that runs it is called Charlie,speaks reasonable english,and he's always very willing to help with any after sales problems..many of the shops in there come and go very quickly..

Tukcom city .

As I understand it, desktops are a problem because they are built from all sorts. I bought my last laptop at Pantip Plaza. Went with a list of all the things I wanted and bought at Hardware House. Wouldn't dream of buying a desktop from any of the guys around here again

Hardware house is a good source for components . My computer was built with mostly Hardware house components. they are 1 of the more reputable companies as they will honor their warranties .

I switched to Pattaya2U as I found the prices a little better & they kick me down endless freebies &

good service! Also Remember HP DELL & most other companies do the same thing. All computers are put together on a piecemeal basis. They are not all one company but many pieces of hardware to make one unit. The only major difference I can see is they actually do test the computers before they send them out! (except for Gateway-if they are still in business) And you get original Microsoft products because they would get into deep trouble in the U.S. if they used copies instead, not that they are nice companies & would never do that. We all know they would use a copy if they could to cut costs down. As it is they give their customers a ripped version of the original copy so they can advertise their products.But they do give a licensed copy.

I was shopping around for a new laptop a while ago when I noticed that almost all laptops sold here have Thai-script on the keyboards.

I dediced I didn't want a keyboard with Thai script. I find it very messy, and if wanted to use it overseas and perhaps sell it in the future, it wouldn't help.

Is it possible to have the keyboards switched here when you buy new?

Edited by tropo

Not sure about laptops but I bought a desktop for my GF 6 months ago at the big IT/electronics place in Si Racha, thinks it's called Com City or something. Went to Tuk Com first but seemed better value at Si Racha and better attitude.

I was shopping around for a new laptop a while ago when I noticed that almost all laptops sold here have Thai-script on the keyboards.

I dediced I didn't want a keyboard with Thai script. I find it very messy, and if wanted to use it overseas and perhaps sell it in the future, it wouldn't help.

I bought a HP Pavillion from Tukcom that was Singaporean in origin, no Thai Text do not remember which shop right by the escalator on the floor with all the hardware shops good service too. Never had a problem with it, wanna buy it?

Just kidding.

I bought a HP Pavillion from Tukcom that was Singaporean in origin, no Thai Text do not remember which shop right by the escalator on the floor with all the hardware shops good service too. Never had a problem with it, wanna buy it?

Just kidding.

The last time I looked around Tukcom (last week) I only saw one laptop with an English keyboard. I really don't want to buy a computer just because it's the only one with an English keyboard.

Edited by tropo

• 3 years later...

I just went to look in IT City in TukCom. The laptops there are sold withtout OS - I think they wipe them then charge you an extra 5000 Baht for a 'genuine' OS. I asked to see one of the laptops in its box and it was not sealed. Even there you can't trust them I think. Anyone got any better ideas than that?

I just went to look in IT City in TukCom. The laptops there are sold withtout OS - I think they wipe them then charge you an extra 5000 Baht for a 'genuine' OS. I asked to see one of the laptops in its box and it was not sealed. Even there you can't trust them I think. Anyone got any better ideas than that?

This is not true. You can find quite a few laptops with genuine Windows 7 but obviously Windows operating systems come with a price and you'll be payinig it. A number of the shops have specials with Windows 7 preloaded. You just have to open your eyes and look around.

Personally I'd rather not pay for it and stick it on myself.

The Wattana shop in Tukcom has a wide selection of laptops. Banana IT is pretty good and there's another one on the same level (I can't think of the name). Make sure you check out the top floor "IT City" for some of the best prices. Dell laptops are currently very good value.

Not sure about laptops but I bought a desktop for my GF 6 months ago at the big IT/electronics place in Si Racha, thinks it's called Com City or something. Went to Tuk Com first but seemed better value at Si Racha and better attitude.

I would agree there, I bought a desktop and mini laptop there about 6 weeks back, I managed to negotiate a good price on them, can't comment on the back up, but price I thought better value than tuk com too

JR Texas: Wattana has been there for a long time, the people are nice, and as far as I am concerned trustworthy (always have treated me fairly). That being said, you are no doubt aware of Pantip Plaza in Bangkok.........I know you said "Pattaya" but I would first shop around at Pantip Plaza........more laptops and more bargains.

I agree about Wattana, it is an established business and does not have 21 year old "door knob" clerks sitting around talking on their cellphones while you are trying to get some information. Wattana also has laptops on sale. The main thing is when you get a computer in Thailand you want to make sure the programs are not PIRATED...or you'll have problems when there is to be an upgrade.

I would agree there, I bought a desktop and mini laptop there about 6 weeks back, I managed to negotiate a good price on them, can't comment on the back up, but price I thought better value than tuk com too

I'll bet there wasn't any price difference at all if you were comparing exactly the same machine with the exact same specs. Watana, Banana and IT City (and others) have their prices listed in Thailand wide publications and the prices don't vary from shop to shop. When they have a special, that special will be available in all the stores if they have stock. Traveling to save on a laptop is a waste of time.

I'll bet there wasn't any price difference at all if you were comparing exactly the same machine with the exact same specs. Watana, Banana and IT City (and others) have their prices listed in Thailand wide publications and the prices don't vary from shop to shop. When they have a special, that special will be available in all the stores if they have stock. Traveling to save on a laptop is a waste of time.

This is not true. You can find quite a few laptops with genuine Windows 7 but obviously Windows operating systems come with a price and you'll be payinig it. A number of the shops have specials with Windows 7 preloaded. You just have to open your eyes and look around.

Personally I'd rather not pay for it and stick it on myself.

The Wattana shop in Tukcom has a wide selection of laptops. Banana IT is pretty good and there's another one on the same level (I can't think of the name). Make sure you check out the top floor "IT City" for some of the best prices. Dell laptops are currently very good value.

I forgot to mention in this post. ALL Sony laptops come with genuine Windows 7 preinstalled. The version of Windows 7 will vary from model to model.