'good' English.

Davidcharles

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard wired grammar sounds so much like nonsense that it is beyond laughter. I have an American friend who is sufficiently fluent in 11 european languages that he is a member of numerous translation committees oversighting major literary works.

His grammar is good in each (with its own rules) because he learnt those rules and applies them.

On another but related issue;

I used to worry about the fluidity of English language, concerned that with such examples as "bad" being used to be exemplary etc, that in 200 years time no-one would be able to decipher what people were saying from our time period.

This concern was erased when I realised that no-one was saying anything that was worth retaining for understanding! :o

However, the question is, should teachers with Regional English accents, or Scottish,Irish or Welsh accents be teaching in Thailand?

So, as a non English educated guy, I will answer what I think.

I do not care.

Teach me english with whatever accent is yours.

I do not care.

I can not hear the difference.

I just want to learn english.

Kow Chai Mai?

The problems will arise when YOU Copy a heavy regional English accent, that is not easily understood, or acceptable, to your prospective employer.

Or anybody not entirely familiar with the English Language, for that matter!

If my prospective employer is not familiar with the English language, I'm pretty sure he will not mind too much about the accent.

Whatever accent we are talkink about,... :o

If my prospective employer is not familiar with the English language, I'm pretty sure he will not mind too much about the accent.

Whatever accent we are talkink about,... :o

I think it is implicit in my post that the Employer would probably be familiar with English as wot she is spoke........now go to bed.

BUT, CNN Newscasters are awful in my opinion.

Their rapid, nasel, harsh, New York voices grate on my nerves!

Sorry, BBC News readers are definitely the very best, when it comes to spoken English.

It used to be far too Posh, but now it's just right. Music to my ears.....

I thought Richard Quest was working for CNN?

Although speaking (shouting?) very quickly, it is not the gabble that one hears from many other newscasters.

I yearn for the old days when BBC employed the RADA-sounding announcers, but where would we have been without Jimmy Saville and Tarbie? Regional accem=nts have their place in entertainment.

Having worked abroad for thirty years, I have come across all manner of spoken English, but still here in Thailand I frequently have to ask people to repeat in Thai what they have already said in 'English'. Just to confirm my suspicions as to what they were trying to say. (Also 'cos I'm getting deaf or daft)

BUT, CNN Newscasters are awful in my opinion.

Their rapid, nasel, harsh,  New York voices grate on my nerves!

Sorry, BBC News readers are definitely the very best, when it comes to spoken English.

It used to be far too Posh, but now it's just right. Music to my ears.....

I thought Richard Quest was working for CNN?

Although speaking (shouting?) very quickly, it is not the gabble that one hears from many other newscasters.

I yearn for the old days when BBC employed the RADA-sounding announcers, but where would we have been without Jimmy Saville and Tarbie? Regional accem=nts have their place in entertainment.

Having worked abroad for thirty years, I have come across all manner of spoken English, but still here in Thailand I frequently have to ask people to repeat in Thai what they have already said in 'English'. Just to confirm my suspicions as to what they were trying to say. (Also 'cos I'm getting deaf or daft)

Then I'm getting just as daft as you!

Back to Richard Quest - I must say he has the same effect on me as Lyse Doucet does on BBC World: I switch over. When they're both on, I switch to Discovery or History.

The problem with Richard Quest is not that he is unintellible like Doucet - quite the opposite in fact - but that he acts like a superstar. CNN used to be a "personality-free" broadcaster with people simply stating the news, but now it is getting like an entertainment program with its own stars and personalities. A backwards step in my opinion.

People who are considered "welll spoken" can come from the U.K, the U.S., France or wherever.  Accents can be charming and makes speech more interesting to listen to as long as the accent doesn't get in the way.

The danger with generalities is there are so many exceptions.  One would like to agree with the many posts regarding the quality of the accents spoken on the BBC, and perhaps they are speaking of the BBC aired in England.  They certainly can't be speaking about BBC World News seen on channel 54 on UBC in Thailand.

There is one female news reader, who was on assignment in Bagdad during the war there and shortly thereafter, who is now reading news in the evening and she is barely intelligable.

Perhaps because she is so unattractive, but my guess the accent is Scottish?

I change channels when she comes on because the hard clip to the accent is most annoying and could hardly be touted by any reasonable person to be a standard one would ascribe to.

Can anyone name that "mistake".

Couldn't agree more!.

That Scottish Lady has a far too thick accent. I can't understand her either!

Scottish English can be charming. But her's is awful!

Just showed your ignorance there . she's not got a scottish acent

The phrase all you old-timers are looking for is received pronunciation or RP.

English is no longer the preserve of native english speakers . It's now a language of international communication.

Just a pity then that a lot of it on the world service of the BBC is almost impossible to understand because of the employmentcitizens of native countries in the name of political correctness of people who think they can speak English but can't.

Whats wrong with recieved pronunciation?

At least people can understand it.

English is no longer the preserve of native english speakers . It's now a language of international communication.

It may be a language of international communication but if you want the "real thing" then you need an Englishman.

American's speak american.

Ozzies speak 'strine.

Singaporeans speak s'English Lah

Ask an Ozzie what a Router is. Does he have one on his computer?

Ask an american girl for a rubber, or if you can "knock her up".

Each country has its own version of the language,

but they are NOT English!!

Edited by astral

It may be a language of international communication but if you want the "real thing" then you need an Englishman.

Ozzies speak 'strine.

You've just made my point for me , Thank you

Ozzies speak 'strine.

There is no such thing as the 'real thing' anymore . English , in its lexical form is a prescriptive rather than a 'descriptive' language

People who are considered "welll spoken" can come from the U.K, the U.S., France or wherever.  Accents can be charming and makes speech more interesting to listen to as long as the accent doesn't get in the way.

The danger with generalities is there are so many exceptions.  One would like to agree with the many posts regarding the quality of the accents spoken on the BBC, and perhaps they are speaking of the BBC aired in England.  They certainly can't be speaking about BBC World News seen on channel 54 on UBC in Thailand.

There is one female news reader, who was on assignment in Bagdad during the war there and shortly thereafter, who is now reading news in the evening and she is barely intelligable.

Perhaps because she is so unattractive, but my guess the accent is Scottish?

I change channels when she comes on because the hard clip to the accent is most annoying and could hardly be touted by any reasonable person to be a standard one would ascribe to.

Can anyone name that "mistake".

Couldn't agree more!.

That Scottish Lady has a far too thick accent. I can't understand her either!

Scottish English can be charming. But her's is awful!

Just showed your ignorance there . she's not got a scottish acent

Oi! Newbie - have a look at page 4 of this thread :o . We've already determined that she's Canadian! Where have you been? I thought she might have been Irish, someone else thought Scottish. But now we know. Several posts ago. :D And her name's Lyse Doucet. With a face like a bag of spanners :D (in case you missed that gem from simesnuts65 earlier).

Ozzies speak 'strine.

You've just made my point for me , Thank you

Aplogies for not reading through the entire thread. Now that I have it just confirms my original opinion that the majority of posters don''t know what they're talking about.

It's quite nice to post amongst the dunces every so often

RDN: Thanks for cracking the whip a bit, I would have done it but your so much better at it and whenever I try, I end up in a pissing match, so unproductive when the other doesn't bother to get up to speed before sounding off.

Uhh, me thinks ya' both should think about those in glass houses, maybe. :o

RDN:  Thanks for cracking the whip a bit, I would have done it but your so much better at it and whenever I try, I end up in a pissing match, so unproductive when the other doesn't bother to get up to speed before sounding off.

Uhh, me thinks ya' both should think about those in glass houses, maybe. :D

:o Oooh! Examples please? :D

RDN:  Thanks for cracking the whip a bit, I would have done it but your so much better at it and whenever I try, I end up in a pissing match, so unproductive when the other doesn't bother to get up to speed before sounding off.

Uhh, me thinks ya' both should think about those in glass houses, maybe. :D

:o Oooh! Examples please? :D

Suffice it to say, you're in no position to get into a pissing contest with me over grammar, as you've already shown :D

But, I would like to add that I think some of the shots you've taken are cheap shots, which anybody can do, since nobody here has ever shown that they exhibit 'perfect' English skills....

Interesting thread, with some interesting and thought provoking comments, but I don't like some of the snide remarks I've seen here.

'nuff said. :D