'good' English.

Davidcharles

I have not seen any thought given to why

English is being taught to Thai people.

Where do most English Speaking Thais

Use their English? To speak to Foreigners or other Thais?.

To side track – to India – I would say that most Indians use English to speak to other Indians – there are so many Indian Languages – that English is the main Common Language.

I find that many English Speaking Indians find it difficult to hear my “English Accent” – although I do not consider that I have any – I am from London (and not a Cockney).

When I hear an Indian friend mispronounce an English word – I hesitate to correct them as then they will probably not be understood by other Indians.

Back to Thailand – so do Bangkokians & Isaarns learn English so they can communicate with each other? I guess not?

So in my opinion I would suggest that if Thais are to be taught with any accent it should be with a “Thai” accent so that they can more easily understand each other.

Unless the Thai in question plans going to study in Edinburgh (please note the Spelling!) University in which case they might benefit from a Scottish Tutor.

Roger

P.S. - I have no connection with the Teaching Profession

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. "Whenever an Englishman opens his mouth he makes another Englishman despise him" (G.B. Shaw).

Good one.

Very good one.

This is why God gave us two ears and one mouth.

To listen twice as much as we speak.

Well, obviously, He never thought about the internet,...

2. "Whenever an Englishman opens his mouth he makes another Englishman despise him" (G.B. Shaw).

Bit of a generalisation, but there is a deal of truth in this statement.

But why should it be so?

And does it apply to other Countries I wonder.......

Bit of a generalisation, but there is a deal of truth in this statement.

But why should it be so?

And does it apply to other Countries I wonder.......

How very true! But I don't despise the other fella, I just wince a bit when I hear mangled English. I can't help it, but I can't forget what I was taught.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't true elsewhere. But I would really like to know how Bangkok Thais feel when they here Isaan Thais speak. My Isaan g/f can't understand half of what the southern Thais in Phuket say. :o

Having had my patrimony stolen from me, several generations ago, by some of the worst sort of Anglo-Saxons, so that they could ranch their sheep in our glen, I am interested in anything that makes Englishmen fall out/resent/despise each other.

When GBS made his observation, the Anglos were totally class conscious. They were all pretty poor (compared to those who had some Get-Up-And-Go, and had got up and gone to the States). So they got their kicks from feeling that they had been better brought-up than the other chaps. And subtle variations of accent were listened for, to 'place' the speaker. (Not that different from Thais working out who should wai most to who!).

I was utterly amazed, in mid-life, to go to an area of Northern England and find that their was complete, virulent animosity between the people in three villages between Bradford and Leeds and the people in the minicipal-housing estate that had been built between those villages.

As late as 1996, this was still rife. I sold my house on the edge of one of the villages to some folk who were living on the estate, less than a kilometre away. Just after they moved in, I was told, a lady living across from my former house (who had always seemed a nice generous person) told them that they should bugger-off "back to the Estate, where they belonged".

It was pure racial prejudice; but between people of the same race!

We Celts need to be careful of those Anglos---they have a strange culture that we may not understand.

Having had my patrimony stolen from me, several generations ago, by some of the worst sort of Anglo-Saxons, so that they could ranch their sheep in our glen, I am interested in anything that makes Englishmen fall out/resent/despise each other.

When GBS made his observation, the Anglos were totally class conscious. They were all pretty poor (compared to those who had some Get-Up-And-Go, and had got up and gone to the States). So they got their kicks from feeling that they had been better brought-up than the other chaps. And subtle variations of accent were listened for, to 'place' the speaker. (Not that different from Thais working out who should wai most to who!).

I was utterly amazed, in mid-life, to go to an area of Northern England and find that their was complete, virulent animosity between the people in three villages between Bradford and Leeds and the people in the minicipal-housing estate that had been built between those villages.

As late as 1996, this was still rife. I sold my house on the edge of one of the villages to some folk who were living on the estate, less than a kilometre away. Just after they moved in, I was told, a lady living across from my former house (who had always seemed a nice generous person) told them that they should  bugger-off "back to the Estate, where they belonged".

It was pure racial prejudice; but between people of the same race!

We Celts need to be careful of those Anglos---they have a strange culture that we may not understand.

And the Campbells and the MacDonalds were really good mates? :o

As a Southerner (Pompey lad), I quite agree that Northerners are a totally different race...

Yes,it is endemic; and will be always with us. But it reproduces most virulently in the darker recesses of the mind. Hauling it into the light and taking a good look at it offers a chance of checking it a bit!

Martin,

I am sure that with your impeccable English

there must be a typo !

Roger

Martin,

I am sure that with your impeccable English

there must be a typo !

Roger

Picky, picky! :D I had to read it three times before I noticed. My brain has an "auto-correct" feature when reading on this forum :wub::o:D:D:D

Yes. "municipal". Thanks.

My eyesight isn't what it was for proof-reading!!.

And I have to do a lot of correcting of my 'hunt and peck' typing.

Until 'Bk Sp' and 'Del' came along I was entirely dependant on finding someone else to do any typing that I needed done.

Oh, dear.

As soon as I spotted the one typo, I jumped to the conclusion that it was the only one.

Yes, I do a lot of correcting of 'their' to 'there', and vice versa; but I missed that one.

Thanks.