Do I need to be at least 180 days in Thailand before requesting a TIN?

I've seen a lot of conflicting information regarding requirements around requesting visas, tax residency, driving licenses, bank openings, etc., so I'm hoping for some help clarifying this.

Yesterday I went to the local tax office to request a TIN. Initially they told me, that I need a work permit and job in Thailand for a TIN and proof I make money coming to Thailand. My friend is retired and he got a TIN without problems, without any income in Thailand.

• I also have to bring printed proof of income (app is not enough). They talk about showing a work visa. 
  • Fortunately, I realized that I could send them an exported PDF I already had saved on my laptop, I don't have a printer anyway.
  • Later they say I need to have been here at least 180 days, I have been here 3 months. 

I guess this could be a valid reason for not giving me a TIN, but I had the feeling that she strongly preferred not giving me a TIN.

My friend called and they gave her conflicting information:

"2 ways, 1 get paid from Thai company or work here or 2 open a thai bank account and put some money in it with fixed deposit account. The amount of money depends on the bank. After that take your book bank and passport to one of the revenue office"

Some people on the forum said:

Passport (ID) and proof of address the only requirement. The revenue department should complete the form on your behalf. 15 minutes later your registered for online use with a TIN and password.

Do I need to be at least 180 days in Thailand before requesting a TIN? Because it's correct, that I arrived in July 2021.

Doubt there is conflicting information regarding the actual tax information available on the tax departments web sites or related to visas, driving licenses or opening bank accounts. There are the basic rules and if one follows them then one gets things done.

The basic question is if you are really tax resident and do you have taxable income coming to or arising in Thailand.

If you have been in Thailand for 3 months and if you are not working or earning income in Thailand then you are probably not yet tax resident in Thailand.

The info is there on your home countries tax web site and on the  Thailand tax web site which is available on the internet including double taxation agreements between nations where income may be taxed.

You could always make an appointment with a tax lawyer or tax accountant in Thailand and they could explain whatever queries you may have related to your tax situation in Thailand.

Edited by userabcd