Cd Rom Write/re-write Drawer Won't Eject...

libya 115

My CD ROM drawer won't eject I have tried everything.

The only way I can do it is by sticking a paper-clip in the tiny hole then yanking it open. It has only just happened, it does not really get heavy use is is not very old.

Any ideas of how I can restore it back to normal eject?

Thanks.

My CD ROM drawer won't eject I have tried everything.

The only way I can do it is by sticking a paper-clip in the tiny hole then yanking it open. It has only just happened, it does not really get heavy use is is not very old.

Any ideas of how I can restore it back to normal eject?

Thanks.

When it's open, clean the rails and the little belt as best you can. Good luck

If you write click on the CD drive icon in Explorer and select Eject, does it work that way? This will verify if the eject button is faulty. I'm assuming you are using XP and not linux which handles it differently.

If you write click on the CD drive icon in Explorer and select Eject, does it work that way? This will verify if the eject button is faulty. I'm assuming you are using XP and not linux which handles it differently.

No, I have tried that. It just makes a whirring and motor straining sound.

No, I have tried that. It just makes a whirring and motor straining sound.

Not a good sign. Possibly something is stuck in the drive such as paper or other foreign object jamming the drive mechanism. If you force it out (drive door), can you look inside with a flashlight and see if anything is jammed in there?

I agree , seems something stuck in the drive.

Well u could take the drive out of its PC enclosure and flip the metal top of the drive and take a look inside usually 4 screw hold the top onto the drive.

Look inside and see whats jamming it.

Make sure you do not power on the drive as the laser inside could damage ur eyes if you get the beam in you eyes.

If all fails a new drive will not break the bank at 1400 bath for a DVD R drive these days :o

My guess would be that you have a problem with your little rubber drive belt. Inside the drive there is a small motor that turns a pully, via the belt, which, in turn, operates a rack and pinion mechanism that opens and closes the drawer. Over time the belt stretches and loses its elasticity and so no longer turns the pulley. The motor still runs and this is what you can hear.

I have had precisely this problem with a DVD ROM drive (and similar problems with cassette recorders, over the years). A new belt will cost all of 5 Baht, although you may have to buy a pack of 5. The trick is finding the right size. I suggest that you look in somewhere that services electronic equipment (in Pattaya we have an Amorn centre and they stock many different sizes of belt). If you can't find the exact size it's permissable, for this purpose, to stretch a slightly smaller one.

DM