Tourism Authority of Thailand considers utility token creation

webfact

screenshot_15306.jpg

Tourism Authority of Thailand considers utility token creation

David Abel 

Thailand is one of the world’s leading travel destinations. The number of international arrivals per year has grown continuously to reach millions and so has revenue from this sector. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), an agency of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, is turning to technology and take advantage of the growing popularity of digital currencies by creating its own utility token.

The Thai economy has suffered the impact of the pandemic and the government seeks possible innovations to buffer the economic situation. In hopes of reviving the economy, which has been one of the slowest in East Asia and the Pacific, the Thai government recently announced they would waive the quarantine for vaccinated travellers in Bangkok and nine other provinces starting November 1.

Kiattipong Ariapruchya, the World Bank’s senior economist for Thailand, was quoted by media outlets saying, “The Thai economy will likely take longer to recover due to the delay in the return of foreign tourists.”

Full story: https://coingeek.com/tourism-authority-of-thailand-considers-utility-token-creation/

screenshot_15307.jpg

-- © Copyright COINGEEK 2021-10-04

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Call it the Coin for Leisure In Thailand. Seems to roll off the tongue nicely .... ????

It could be called the " The new Coin that we all decided to call the New Coin over a slap up up meal, and an all day meeting of Brilliant minds from around the Nation " Coin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), an agency of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, is turning to technology and take advantage of the growing popularity of digital currencies by creating its own utility token.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1

Just now, robin hood said:

That is just to much. 500 baht per person.  And by the way don’t come back we want quality tourists….

Especially if u life here and travel In and out once a month in normal times.... no <deleted> way I pay that every time I enter Thailand

Just now, robin hood said:

That is just to much. 500 baht per person.  And by the way don’t come back we want quality tourists….

Won't the millions of high-class Indians want to chip in more.....maybe insist on a 1000 baht each?

• Haha 2

Hello all Officials in Thailand!  Suggest you look at the new Tourism Model being adopted by UK, which is much, much more simple to adopt instead of the "militaryistic, control system" currently in place.  There should also be one set of unified rules for the whole Country, based on the worse case scenario.  Why do they come up with such outlandish recommendations?  Do they not realise how foolish they look in the eyes of the World?

• Like 1

I can see the benefit by avoiding ATM fees, and currency exchange costs, when going all digital, and I can also see the benefits of money paid in digital currencies become legal payments; there could also be kind of whitewashing, or tax evasion, benefits here...:whistling:

As the goal also is to change mass tourism to so-called "quality tourists", i.e. the more loaded or wealthy spenders, I'm in doubt if they are digital currency users, or they don't care about small fees. They might often add everything to the bill, and don't care much about if they could get it little cheaper in the street than when they buy it at the hotel they stay in; they just pay the total bill with their plastic card. Quality tourists are in my view those that pays from $200 and up to $1,000, or much more, per night for a hotel room...:thumbsup:

Furthermore, I'm in doubt about a digital token success if the use of same tokens can be traced; sometimes cash has its benefits...????

Are my thoughts far out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Especially if u life here and travel In and out once a month in normal times.... no <deleted> way I pay that every time I enter Thailand

Remember the ฿500 departure tax?  People hated paying that too.  Then it was incorporated into the fares and collected from the transport companies.  And never heard of again.  We still pay it, we just don't see it as a separate item to object to.  This could go the same way.

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, robertson468 said:

Hello all Officials in Thailand!  Suggest you look at the new Tourism Model being adopted by UK, which is much, much more simple to adopt instead of the "militaryistic, control system" currently in place.  There should also be one set of unified rules for the whole Country, based on the worse case scenario.  Why do they come up with such outlandish recommendations?  Do they not realise how foolish they look in the eyes of the World?

What World? The world is Thailand. Aliens visit.