Where do IR-1 visa applicants get their WHO approved Covid vaccines?

My Thai wife just got the clearance/approval to schedule her exit interview with US Immigrations in Bangkok to move to the USA with me. She has already received one jab of Sinopharm vaccine, which is the only one available to her here, which is not approved by WHO. She needs to have 2 jabs of Moderna, Pfizer or one of the J&J vaccine. 

How does she go about getting the required vaccine?

Thanks folks! 

16 hours ago, David T Pike said:

She has already received one jab of Sinopharm vaccine, which is the only one available to her here, which is not approved by WHO.

"As of 3 June 2021, WHO has evaluated that the following vaccines against COVID-19 have met the necessary criteria for safety and efficacy:

AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine

Johnson and Johnson

Moderna

Pfizer/BionTech

Sinopharm

Sinovac"

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/covid-19-vaccines/advice

• Like 1

First, Sinopharm is a WHO approved vaccine.

It's not entirely clear if all WHO approved vaccines will meet the requirement for the US past November 1.  Sinopharm is not an approved vaccine by the US FDA.  It's just not clear whether the US will accept WHO approved vaccines in addition to US FDA approved ones.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/10/11/inaternational-tourists-fda-approved-vaccines-enter-us-november-cdc/6059419001/

As far as I know there is no J&J vaccine in Thailand.  People have been paying in advance for Moderna but I don't believe anyone has been jabbed with Moderna in Thailand yet.  Pfizer was donated by the US to Thailand but it was difficult for Thais to get those shots.  Additional Pfizer is being donated and purchased, but still difficult for Thais to get.

Thais can purchase Sinopharm, I believe.  It might be the best course to get her second Sinopharm jab, so that at least she is considered fully vaccinated.  The issue remains whether the US will recognize that as fully vaccinated.  See issue in the linked article above.  It would be OK if the US accepts WHO approved vaccines.  It won't be OK if they insist on only US FDA approved ones.

Finally, there is a possible loophole in the US requirement, obtaining a blanket waiver because where the applicant is vaccines are not available:

Not routinely available
    If no COVID-19 vaccine is routinely available in the state where the Civil Surgeon practices, the “Not routinely available” reason should be documented.  If vaccine is available to the applicant but due to limited supply, it would cause significant delay for the applicant to receive their vaccination, then this situation would also be considered “Not routinely available.”

-- https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/civil-surgeons/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

45 minutes ago, skatewash said:

First, Sinopharm is a WHO approved vaccine.

It's not entirely clear if all WHO approved vaccines will meet the requirement for the US past November 1.  Sinopharm is not an approved vaccine by the US FDA.  It's just not clear whether the US will accept WHO approved vaccines in addition to US FDA approved ones.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/10/11/inaternational-tourists-fda-approved-vaccines-enter-us-november-cdc/6059419001/

As far as I know there is no J&J vaccine in Thailand.  People have been paying in advance for Moderna but I don't believe anyone has been jabbed with Moderna in Thailand yet.  Pfizer was donated by the US to Thailand but it was difficult for Thais to get those shots.  Additional Pfizer is being donated and purchased, but still difficult for Thais to get.

Thais can purchase Sinopharm, I believe.  It might be the best course to get her second Sinopharm jab, so that at least she is considered fully vaccinated.  The issue remains whether the US will recognize that as fully vaccinated.  See issue in the linked article above.  It would be OK if the US accepts WHO approved vaccines.  It won't be OK if they insist on only US FDA approved ones.

Finally, there is a possible loophole in the US requirement, obtaining a blanket waiver because where the applicant is vaccines are not available:

Thanks Skatewash. I am familiar with the "waiver". I suppose you have to request that from the "Panel Physician" at her medical examination. Here is what the CDC says:

Blanket Waivers Applicable to COVID-19 vaccination:

• Not routinely available
    If none of the approved COVID-19 vaccines are routinely available in the country where the panel physician practices, the “Not routinely available” reason should be documented.  If an approved COVID-19 vaccine is available to the applicant but limited supply would cause significant delay for the applicant to receive it, then this situation would also be considered “Not routinely available.”

I have also heard that upon arrival to the USA she can get a FDA approved booster and she will be good to go....

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

"As of 3 June 2021, WHO has evaluated that the following vaccines against COVID-19 have met the necessary criteria for safety and efficacy:

AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine

Johnson and Johnson

Moderna

Pfizer/BionTech

Sinopharm

Sinovac"

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/covid-19-vaccines/advice

I regress. I should have said FDA/CDC approved and not WHO...

1 hour ago, David T Pike said:

Thanks Skatewash. I am familiar with the "waiver". I suppose you have to request that from the "Panel Physician" at her medical examination. Here is what the CDC says:

Blanket Waivers Applicable to COVID-19 vaccination:

• Not routinely available
    If none of the approved COVID-19 vaccines are routinely available in the country where the panel physician practices, the “Not routinely available” reason should be documented.  If an approved COVID-19 vaccine is available to the applicant but limited supply would cause significant delay for the applicant to receive it, then this situation would also be considered “Not routinely available.”

I have also heard that upon arrival to the USA she can get a FDA approved booster and she will be good to go....

If it's the case that your wife wants to be vaccinated and it's simply the situation in Thailand (lack of availability) that is preventing her being fully vaccinated, make sure the interviewer understands that.  The interviewer should understand what the situation is in Thailand.  I do think your wife would want to make it clear that she wants to comply with the requirement but has not been  able to as of yet, as opposed to someone who has reservations about taking the vaccine even though they have the ability to do so.  Those are two different cases and should be treated differently.

3 hours ago, skatewash said:

If it's the case that your wife wants to be vaccinated and it's simply the situation in Thailand (lack of availability) that is preventing her being fully vaccinated, make sure the interviewer understands that.  The interviewer should understand what the situation is in Thailand.  I do think your wife would want to make it clear that she wants to comply with the requirement but has not been  able to as of yet, as opposed to someone who has reservations about taking the vaccine even though they have the ability to do so.  Those are two different cases and should be treated differently.

Roger that. The panel physician will most likely give me the paperwork explaining that she is vaccinated with 2 Sinopharm jabs and that she needs that waiver because the FDA/CDC vaccines are not available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panadadad said:

I’m wondering the same thing.op Has your wife done her medical check ? I suggested to my wife we contact the clinic where that is done? If you have any insight as to your solution I would appreciate it 

This will tell you everything...  

Instructions and Appointment Packets

The instructions below will be sent to applicants via email when their case is ready to be scheduled.  Do not schedule an appointment to come for an interview unless you receive these instructions to your email for your specific case and with your case number.  Appointments that are made without approval from U.S. Embassy Bangkok will be canceled. 

Forms and Useful Links

Updated October 1, 2021

As part of your application for a visa to enter the United States, you are required to undergo a medical examination.  The following physicians have received authorization from this Embassy to conduct official medical examinations of visa applicants.  Medical examinations from any other physician are not acceptable for visa application purposes.  The fees listed below are for the medical examination only.  You may be required to pay a separate fee for immunizations.

Bangkok Nursing Home (BNH)
Address: 9/1 Convent Road, Silom, Bangrak Bangkok 10500, Thailand
Phone Number: (02) 686-2700
Email:  [email protected]

Panel Physician:
Dr. Kessanee Oransathienrakul

Examination Fees
Age Fee (THB)
Under age 2 years old 4,500
2-14 years old 9,900
15-17 years old and age over 45 years old 5,200
18-24 years old 9,800
25-44 years old 5,600

Bumrungrad Hospital
Address: 33 Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Soi Nana Nua), Bangkok
Phone Number: (02) 667-1000

Panel Physicians:
Dr. Watcharaphong Saechere
Dr. Wiwat Wongsirisak

Examination Fees
Age Fee (THB)
Under age 2 years old 2,200
2-14 years old 7,700
15-17 years old and age over 45 years old 3,200
18-24 years old 7,100
25-44 years old 3,700

Medical Exam Instructions:

You should present your complete medical and immunization records to the physician at your exam appointment.  Bring the following documents to your medical exam:

• Current Passport (with over 6 months validity)
  • Four (1.5 x 2 inches) photographs taken less than 6 months ago
  • DS-260 or DS-160 Confirmation Page
  • Visa interview appointment letter issued by National Visa Center (NVC), or US Embassy Bangkok’s Consular Section, or GSS
  • Information about your visa, including: visa category, visa case number, current address, and U.S. address
  • Vaccination records
  • All relevant information concerning your medical history:
  • If you are taking any medications, you should know their names and composition.
  • If you have a current or prior illness, major surgery or trauma, or physical or mental impairment; please bring documentation from the doctor or medical institution that treated you.

Failure to provide this information during your medical examination will cause your medical exam and visa process to be delayed.

Medical Examination Forms (DS-2054, DS-3025, DS-3026, and DS-3030) will be provided by the hospital, as they must be handled by the panel physician.

After the Medical Exam

When your examination is completed, the doctor will either provide you with exam results in a sealed envelope or send them directly to the U.S. Embassy.  If given an envelope to carry to your interview, do not open this envelope.  Instead, bring it to your visa interview.  You should also bring the digital radiography CD with you to the interview.

VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

United States immigration law requires immigrant and fiancé(e) K visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of a visa.  Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations are required to verify that visa applicants have met the new vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:

• Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
  • measles, rubella and mumps
  • Polio (inactivated) or (live oral)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b(Hib)
  • Varicella
  • Pneumococcal for adults
  • Pneumococcal for children
  • Meningococcal
  • Influenza
  • Rotavirus
  • COVID-19 vaccine

Beginning October 1, 2021, all immigrant and K visa applicants must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 for the medical examination to be considered complete. Some waivers for the COVID vaccination will be applicable, including if the vaccine is not age appropriate. The panel physician can advise applicants if they qualify for these waivers during appointments. Additional Information is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 

In order to assist the panel physician and avoid processing delays, all immigrant and fiancé(e) K visa applicants should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician’s review at the time of the medical examination.  You should consult with your regular health care provider to obtain a copy of your immunization record, if one is available.  If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirements.  Certain waivers of the vaccination requirements are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history, and current medical condition.

Medical Examination Instructions (Thai) คำแนะนำเกี่ยวกับการตรวจสุขภาพ

Police Certificates

Financial Documents

USCIS Forms

Uploading Documents to the CEAC

For marriage-based visa applicants

• Please see this link to understand the rights and protections for fiancé(e)s and spouses of U.S. citizens and spouses of lawful permanent residents

Photograph Requirements

Two (2) COLOR frontal view photographs for each applicant. Photographs must meet the following requirements:

• Photos must be 2 x 2 inches (50 x 50 mm)
  • Color photograph
  • White background
  • No borders
  • Applicant must face the camera directly
  • Applicant’s face must cover at least 50% of the area of the photo
  • Both ears must be visible
  • No eyeglasses
  • No earrings
  • No head covering
  • Photo must be recent (taken no more than six months ago)
  • Print name of applicant on the back of the photo
  • US Visa Service Desk: (For GSS address registration, Fiancé(e) visa fee payment and other general information)

Email: [email protected]
    Call: +662 105 4110 (Mon-Fri from 8:00-20:00 except holidays)
  • Immigrant Visa Unit: (For case specific inquiries)Email: [email protected]

Please include your case reference number in the subject line. Please allow 2-3 business days for a response and refrain from sending multiple emails during this timeframe as it will delay our ability to provide a thorough and complete response.

IV Unit Mailing Address
Pre-interview (non-NVC cases) and post-interview documents should be sent to:

U.S. Embassy Bangkok
Consular Section, Immigrant Visa Unit
120-122 Wireless Road, Lumpini
Bangkok 10330

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Foreign travelers with COVID-19 vaccines approved by FDA, WHO can enter the US in November

https://www.yahoo.com/news/foreign-travelers-covid-19-vaccines-143813283.html

Interesting. I guess I should get the word from the horses mouth and call immigration in Bangkok and see what they say...