Jump to content

Rice pledging scheme 2021-2022


Recommended Posts

Any rice growers out there who can help us out with the requirements.

Registration process,storage,etc.

My wife has given documents to the Pui yai ban and she said each farmer gets 15 rai (no other details) for rice but i think that is something different to the pledging scheme from what i've read.

 

Tia

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife's son-in-law and daughter ,have 24 rie of rice ,land is rented ,they have 12 rie each ,as far as I know they are getting 500 baht/rie ,which we would call a subsidy.

As far as I know that is it ,like IA I will ask her.

Your Pui Yai Bann or Gum Nang should know .   

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies.

It's like getting blood out of a stone with the chinese wispers at my end.

 

I can only find the article from the paper we can't use at the moment.

It was along the lines of register with department of agriculture extension.(website is outdated)

Example Hom mali 15% moisture 15,000 baht/ton limited to 14 tons for family.

If that is the case i presume say miller pays you 10,000 baht/ton(his price) the baac bank tops up the rest.

 

This article suggests of the price pledge.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40007501

I will keep digging with the reason being to see if it's worth the time for all the extra work at harvest time.(drying,screening,bagging)

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a farmer to get his crop down to 15% moisture not easy ,I have seen a few ton being dried  on concrete pads ,probably for they own use ,and being kept back for seed the following year .

Any more, can not see it being done.

The wife has said about selling corn ,you will lose money selling a crop at 15-18% moisture,no bushel weight.

Better to sell it,  and rice for that matter,  at say 30% moisture and get docked a few satang a kg for high moisture than trying to bring the whole crop down  to your 15%.

A couple of years ago the government  had a similar scheme of buying corn ,the price was good ,I think about 8-9 baht/kg,but moisture had to be 15 % ,as far as I know no one in this area took up the offer .

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Thanks for the replies.

It's like getting blood out of a stone with the chinese wispers at my end.

 

I can only find the article from the paper we can't use at the moment.

It was along the lines of register with department of agriculture extension.(website is outdated)

Example Hom mali 15% moisture 15,000 baht/ton limited to 14 tons for family.

If that is the case i presume say miller pays you 10,000 baht/ton(his price) the baac bank tops up the rest.

 

This article suggests of the price pledge.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40007501

I will keep digging with the reason being to see if it's worth the time for all the extra work at harvest time.(drying,screening,bagging)

Wife's daughter said the same thing Hom Mali 15000baht/ton ,she said 14  Kweian , buffalo cart loads ,or in the 21st century 14 ton .per family .

Again  she said if the buyers pay less government/ BAAC will top it up, the bit I could not quite understand is, she said she will also get the 500 baht/rie ,looking at the link you put in the government said it does not have the money.

I would say then the chances of them paying the support price and the 500 baht/rie will be slim ,I would say it will be the support price only.

At this time Hom Mali is 15000 baht/ton, Hom Pattom , Khow Sow High, your every day type rice is 10000 baht/ton ,Khow-Neeo,sticky rice is 12000 baht/ton ,Hom Mali is well up due to the floods in Issan ,a shortage for the export market ?  

Your link  also said part payment on  15th  October, as per government running late ,got to find some money from somewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Wife's daughter said the same thing Hom Mali 15000baht/ton ,she said 14  Kweian , buffalo cart loads ,or in the 21st century 14 ton .per family .

Again  she said if the buyers pay less government/ BAAC will top it up, the bit I could not quite understand is, she said she will also get the 500 baht/rie ,looking at the link you put in the government said it does not have the money.

I would say then the chances of them paying the support price and the 500 baht/rie will be slim ,I would say it will be the support price only.

At this time Hom Mali is 15000 baht/ton, Hom Pattom , Khow Sow High, your every day type rice is 10000 baht/ton ,Khow-Neeo,sticky rice is 12000 baht/ton ,Hom Mali is well up due to the floods in Issan ,a shortage for the export market ?  

Your link  also said part payment on  15th  October, as per government running late ,got to find some money from somewhere.

Thanks for that.(helpful as always)

If i may could you ask her one more question.

Where would she register for this price insurance,is she already in the BAAC system and a matter of showing the millers receipts to bank,not sure of initial step to set up.  

I think i have the room here to mess around with 14 ton if i can get the maximum price.

Edited by farmerjo
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Thanks for that.(helpful as always)

If i may could you ask her one more question.

Where would she register for this price insurance,is she already in the BAAC system and a matter of showing the millers receipts to bank,not sure of initial step to set up.  

I think i have the room here to mess around with 14 ton if i can get the maximum price.

First off as you know Po-Yai- Bann ,then  you need to go to your local Kaset-Amphur ,Agriculture  Office  and register there ,they should give you all the information you need ,once you get your Bie-Kaset ,registration certificate ,then off to BAAC  and open an account .

Daughter is already in the system ,I said how do you get on with payment ,she said their buyer pays them in cash ,with a receipt  ,then again not so clear ,the government payment seems to appear ?? in they BAAC account ,I would say you would need to go back to your Agriculture Office and maybe BAAC ,just to check that you are in the system .

I said what about moisture ,she knows all about the 15% 14 ton/family, she said,as we  nearly all know, farmers sell they crop at way above that moisture ,they just take a reduction in price ,how that would work with government payments I would not know .

If you can dry down your 14 ton all the better ,in theory it should be end of the rainy season ,the cool season winds should do the job, but it will have a job this year they is a lot of water about. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kickstart said:

First off as you know Po-Yai- Bann ,then  you need to go to your local Kaset-Amphur ,Agriculture  Office  and register there ,they should give you all the information you need ,once you get your Bie-Kaset ,registration certificate ,then off to BAAC  and open an account .

Daughter is already in the system ,I said how do you get on with payment ,she said their buyer pays them in cash ,with a receipt  ,then again not so clear ,the government payment seems to appear ?? in they BAAC account ,I would say you would need to go back to your Agriculture Office and maybe BAAC ,just to check that you are in the system .

I said what about moisture ,she knows all about the 15% 14 ton/family, she said,as we  nearly all know, farmers sell they crop at way above that moisture ,they just take a reduction in price ,how that would work with government payments I would not know .

If you can dry down your 14 ton all the better ,in theory it should be end of the rainy season ,the cool season winds should do the job, but it will have a job this year they is a lot of water about. 

Thanks KS.

It's become a lot clearer now with your explanation.

My wife has a farm number book(similar to blue tabien) from local ag office which is linked to her Baac account as she received a payment back around December into her account.

She just checked on phone and looks like auto updated for this year.

I think i will do a trip to local ag office next time when i pass just to clarify the payment system.

Whether it's a straight out meet the highest quality/moisture or a sliding matrix scale.

If it's only the 1st criteria could be worth an extra 60-80K/baht in the pocket.

Sometimes i have to prod my wife with information to jog her memory when it comes to farm details and your assistance has helped do that and give her an understanding on why i do things differently at times, i normally get a response of Nobody do 😀 which is fine if you don't have the ability to handle larger volumes to value add. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Talking to wife's rice farmer son-in-law ,he was saying about rice prices ,he is talking about 3-5 baht/kg for his crop 3-5000 baht/ton, the rice is Hom Marley ,not certain which strain.

I said what abut the governments 14000 baht/ton ,he said it is all do with moisture he said he harvests his crop at 25% moisture plus ,government will pay 14k /ton for rice at 15% moisture not his 25%.

He said to wait for the moisture to drop would take another couple of weeks ,by then birds will be eating the grains and some grain will shed in their ears ,and it will mean a low bushel weight,  so he will lose money ,like most rice farmers he has no post harvest drying fertilities.

Anyone else come across this .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand his pain KS,the only way to avoid the current price is to hold on to it and get that moisture down(weather depending).

There's going to be a lot of sun drying on the roads this year.

I did my apprenticeship with and worked for a co-operative bulk handling company for 10 years.

It was no secret the way farmers used to get around moisture problems was by blending moisture.

Moisture would be high at the start of the day harvesting and as the day went on it decreased a few percent.

So you don't have to get it all to 15%.,study the mill your taking it to and their procedure for sampling.

That way you should be able to work on around a 3% moisture margin.

You have the right to ask them to resample if not happy with the 1st result.

To layer the grain in a truckload could pay handsome dividends compared to bagging straight after threshing.

  

 

 

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi FJ

        In the Uk at harvest time it was rare that harvest started much before lunch ,let the dew dry off ,but they would often go  on to 9pm harvesting ,by then the combine was grunting a bit ,dew coming down ,management said dryer it is coming off the combine, less drying  costs in the barn .

You like me have seen Thai's harvesting rice , the combine empties in to a truck and away ,the farmer then goes to mill to get paid, Job done 

A few years ago son-in-law lost his place in the combine queue,and had to wait another 2 weeks ,for the combine,he was not happy, worried moisture dropping to much ,as I said grains shedding from the ears .

In this area they are pads of concrete about put down by Or-Bor-Tor's ,and various government grants ,for farmers to dry the crops on,most are used for drying next year's seed before storage .

For all the rice farmers to dry all their  crops ,you would  need a few airfields worth of concrete.

Of course the main reason farmers sell they crop off the combine is cash flow ,or lack  of it,with interest changes on borrowed money to buy fertilizer sprays etc ,most can not afford to keep a crop back,  they need the cash s.a.p.

Look at the uk farming press and commodities ,same in other country's ,they are a futures market ,harvest in July ,sell at a set price say following May/June ,here in Thailand I would say unless you are a big rice merchant noting like that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for a trip to local Ag extension this afternoon to clarify the situation.

Don't be surprised that i'm still none the wiser,well a little.

At the time of registering with the pui yai ban my wife put down 15 rai of kor kor 6 planted as i hadn't planted any hom mali at that stage.

Thing is most of the kor kor 6 will be held back for consumption and after half an hour of back and forth conversation between the wife and office reps i still don't know whether i can get the insurance price on the hom mali..I did however get the lady to nod when i drew a process flowsheet from the farm to the miller then baac bank with 15% moisture in bold letters.

I really need to get to the millers and see there matrix for what other conditions apply.

As you said KS the Thai's tend to balance weight against moisture and quality resulting in lower prices.

I found this newspaper report which sums everything up better than my trip today.

Worth a read.

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/rice-prices-why-is-the-price-of-rice-this-year-so-low-that-it-is-compared-to-the-price-of-instant-noodles-bbc-news-thai/

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife sold about 30% off the paddy 8 baht kg 

The rest dried on concrete roads, next year's grow seed bagged and ready. The remainder dry and will continue drying in the rice barn until next year.

Usually BAAC make an offer and buy the retained rice as in a credit facility.

Not sure about subsidy but do know wife mentioned an expected payment not yet recd.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 473geo said:

Wife sold about 30% off the paddy 8 baht kg 

The rest dried on concrete roads, next year's grow seed bagged and ready. The remainder dry and will continue drying in the rice barn until next year.

Usually BAAC make an offer and buy the retained rice as in a credit facility.

Not sure about subsidy but do know wife mentioned an expected payment not yet recd.

 

 

Talking to a grower this evening ,she sold her rice crop it was Hom Marli,she sold it by the "Tang ",the Thai equivalent to our bushel ,one Tang was 10gk ,she got 70 baht,7 bat/kg ,not certain on moisture ,as it was one of the first crops in the area to be harvested ,it has only just started around here ,I would say it would be 30% plus ,again no mention of BAAC ,so she  probably would not qualify for the 14 ton/family .

Not a good year for rice farmers ,I wonder when they will out protesting covid or no covid. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 473geo said:

Wife sold about 30% off the paddy 8 baht kg 

The rest dried on concrete roads, next year's grow seed bagged and ready. The remainder dry and will continue drying in the rice barn until next year.

Usually BAAC make an offer and buy the retained rice as in a credit facility.

Not sure about subsidy but do know wife mentioned an expected payment not yet recd.

 

 

Hi,

Do you have access to a picture of the mills receipt regarding dockage for moisture,screenings,weed seeds,colour and weight.

8 baht sounds like the quality of rice was very good.

Was that hand cut and threshed or by harvester.

Edited by farmerjo
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Hi,

Do you have access to a picture of the mills receipt regarding dockage for moisture,screenings,weed seeds,colour and weight.

8 baht sounds like the quality of rice was very good.

Was that hand cut and threshed or by harvester.

Was harvested by machine, doubt we have the receipt, what is done is done 😁 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Hi,

Do you have access to a picture of the mills receipt regarding dockage for moisture,screenings,weed seeds,colour and weight.

8 baht sounds like the quality of rice was very good.

Was that hand cut and threshed or by harvester.

After my last post ,told wife's daughter ,she said for Hom Marli 8.50 baht/kg ,then she said it will be more like 8 baht/kg,the rice is of good quality.

She will know in about 2 weeks when the combine arrives ,don't count your chickens comes to mind.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...