Any experience and advice to share regarding operating a PWC legally in Thailand?

farang4life777

I've been operating a recently purchased 2018 PWC offshore to near islands mostly in Prachuap Khirikan province.   It has the following pertinent specs:  3.25meters length, 325Kg, 125hp 3 cylinder motor.  The craft was last registered in Chonburi, and is an early-retired rental unit.  I plan to register the craft in my Thai wife's name who is a homeowner in Phetchaburi province.  I want to set the craft up for sportfishing and pleasure boating offshore and the larger bodies of water outside of Kanchanaburi.  At this point I've come up with a range of requirements for the captains license and craft/trailer registration.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

241295192_658572368452345_6169321296854435436_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a PWC Seadoo 130 GTi.  You have already mentioned the important things viz: Registration and Captain's Licence. The latter is optional I understand.  As far as I know it is the Craft which is registered.  The inspectors did not examine the trailer.  As has already been commented there are many dangers with operating the craft near beaches eg swimmers and collisions with other craft.  Enjoy every moment. 

I am interested to know where are 'the larger bodies of water outside Kanchanaburi'.  There is, of course, the Kwai river itself, but I suspect the debris in that would soon clog up your intake manifold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 10:55 AM, Postmaster said:

As has already been commented there are many dangers with operating the craft near beaches eg swimmers and collisions with other craft.  Enjoy every moment. 

Sorry for late reply, just saw notification now.  Thanks for your informed, balanced, and opened minded response!   And, yes, there are several factors in the Kingdom that have led to a not so favorable opinion of the sport.  Fly by night rental outfits renting skis to inexperienced (often high) people in densely populated beach areas is high on that list.  I primarily go to wild beaches on uninhabited islands and also try to be as unobtrusive as possible when near landlocked people (amongst the otherwalrusses).  It is a sad state of affairs that this light boaters paradise does not support a larger active following, I think largely due to being cost prohibitive for most Thais. The large reservoir behind Srinagarindra Dam is the premium large body of fresh water open to recreational light boaters that I know of, and I'm planning to visit there soon.  Yes, many of the coastal rivers I explore have a lot of floating debris, imperative to carry a declogging device.   According to a friend of mine, Kaeng Krachan Lake up until a couple of years ago, allowed PWC's.  This the largest body of fresh water in Thailand and 40 minutes from my home, instead of allowing PWC use on the unpopulated portions of the lake, all use is now prohibited.  This is the kind of thing that can happen without a larger and organized political action group.   Registering the trailer is a can of worms that I'm still exploring, seems kind of optional and it may be cheaper just to pay the small fine that may never happen.  Liability issues while towing and car insurance are the concern here. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:15 PM, natway09 said:

When I go "sportfishing" I want a well stocked big cabin,,, Are you mad ??

555.  Hey, its not for everyone, but well stocked cooler on board, and small craft does not spook warry prey.  Also great access to shallower water and low fuel cost.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:15 PM, natway09 said:

When I go "sportfishing" I want a well stocked big cabin,,, Are you mad ??

On 11/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, possum1931 said:

Some people think they are still texting when they come off their smartphones and on to a forum.

This is why the original post requested "experienced advice"...

• Haha 1