Pattaya immigration retirement visa - bank statement in place of bank book?

I made a mistake and my 400,000 reserve in my passbook account was overdrawn by a few thousand baht to bring it down to just below 400,000 for the interim period. The same day I replenished the account to bring it back up to higher than 400,000. But I am afraid that this will be taken seriously at Pattaya immigration. I have an e-savings account at another bank that has been consistently above 1 million baht for over several years so would like to use this for renewing my retirement visa but it does not have a bank book but I can get an official written statement from the bank.

My question is 2-fold specifically regarding Pattaya immigration:

1. Anybody had experience of submitting a bank book for extension that had the amount dip below 400,000 for a few hours?

2. Are bank statements acceptable substitutes for bank books?

• Haha 1

An alternative would be to obtain 60 day extension to visit wife in oder to buy time to season your money in bank.

EDIT: Just notice the "same day" error. I would first talk to immigration and ask if that will be acceptable. Thinking it would not be an issue.

Edited by DrJack54

The end of day balance is still above the 400k so i would have thought it should be ok

BUT i am no  expert and depends on IMO

or 

As you are in Pattaya maybe an agent could "point this out" or smooth this over with Immigration officer for a smallish fee ,worth a try

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

An alternative would be to obtain 60 day extension to visit wife in oder to buy time to season your money in bank.

Would I be right in thinking this only works if doing marriage extensions? The o/p says he's on retirement extension where he would also be allowed to go down to 400k during part of the interim period but there is no seasoning period as it's year long 400/800k?

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Would I be right in thinking this only works if doing marriage extensions?

You are correct.

I read too quickly and the OP is on extension (retirement). 

Hopefully immigration will allow this as being corrected on same day. 

• Thanks 1

I would think 1) will be a problem.  As I understand your description that passbook has a balance entry below 400k baht during the period when it was supposed to be above 400k.  I don't think you'll get any slack on that.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

I think you have a much better chance with your second account (the e-savings account).  I would get a 12-month statement for that account and the standard bank letter showing you own the account.  If immigration ask to see the passbook you can explain that the e-account doesn't have a passbook.  I guess you could ask your immigration officer to call your bank to verify that that particular account doesn't have a passbook.  As far as I know a passbook is not a definite requirement.  If you have one they can ask to see it, ask you to make copies from it, but if you don't the signed and stamped bank statement you are providing has all the necessary information for them to determine whether you exceeded the minimum balance requirements for the previous 12 months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skatewash said:

I would think 1) will be a problem.  As I understand your description that passbook has a balance entry below 400k baht during the period when it was supposed to be above 400k.  I don't think you'll get any slack on that.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

I think you have a much better chance with your second account (the e-savings account).  I would get a 12-month statement for that account and the standard bank letter showing you own the account.  If immigration ask to see the passbook you can explain that the e-account doesn't have a passbook.  I guess you could ask your immigration officer to call your bank to verify that that particular account doesn't have a passbook.  As far as I know a passbook is not a definite requirement.  If you have one they can ask to see it, ask you to make copies from it, but if you don't the signed and stamped bank statement you are providing has all the necessary information for them to determine whether you exceeded the minimum balance requirements for the previous 12 months.

Thanks. I think I will go for the bank statement route and if they need a bank book will return the next day with the bank book for the savings account plus the statement for the e-savings account to show that I made the transfer from e-savings to bank book account to make up the 400,000. I could also take both at same time for first try but I prefer the statement route because that account has a higher interest rate but expect I will continue with the bank book route in future to save any future hassles.