Material to replace roof eaves

siam dreamers

I have a house with slated wood strips that make up the eaves around the house. While they are attractive and vent the roof they also let in an incredible amount of noise from the street up into the roof. We live on the street and are working on some ways to minimize the noise coming  into our rooms through the ceiling. We want to cover the wood slats but are not sure what they now use as this area may get some moisture. I have seen both cement board and sheetrock. We will be screwing the material directly into the wood slats. Any input on a cost effective solution would be appreciated. 

On long weekends in hua hin I have massive amounts of traffic noise coming right off the road straight into what amounts to open eves/soffits that are around my whole house. Half the houses around here have either no ventilation and the other half are almost open. Typical Thai underkill or over kill. In order to reduce the noise coming in under the roof it appears I will have to close up a good portion of the almost open eves under the roof that are exposed to the road noise. I can leave some small areas for ventilation but  if I want any chance in dimming the huge megaphone, (called the inside of my roof) this seems like a must.

We also will be creating sound barriers with cement board on top of the fence and between the street and house while insulating the the whole house ceilings in with rock wool safe and sound acoustic insulation.

Even with these three measures in effect i still expect to hear noise but would be happy to get it down to a manageable level for the extra traffic generated on the weekend.

My cost for these sound reduction measures will be under 100,000 baht. We purchased the house at an excellent price, (now we know why) and  have not had to put any real money into it so an extra 100K is reasonable. We don't appreciate being  lied to by the previous falang owner, when asked directly about the noise levels but now he is out and I am in. Karma is a bitch and either he will get his or I'm just getting mine.  

Thanks everyone for your replies. If anyone in Hua Hin has direct experience with sound reduction and would like to help by looking as the place and giving me a second opinion I would apreciat the help. David

Thanks people for your advice and input. Happy to say that  closing up the wood slat eves/soffits with 6mm scg cement board has done an incredible job of reducing the noise coming from the street. Granted the eves on this house are basically right on the street and provided a straight shot for the noise to enter the roof and house. The next step ( if needed) will be to insulate the ceiling  due to the decrease in venting to retain the air conditioning. Any added noise reduction will just be a bonus but we are VERY happy with the difference since we have closed up the open sofits /eves.