Help - color falling off the ceiling

Na Fan

We moved into a new property. Rental. The whole house was painted anew before we moved in.

Now we have these small white particles covering out entire house.

I sit at my desk working, I end up with them all over my hair and clothes.

You can imagine what happens if we are eating off of a plate......

What is going on here? Did they mess up the paint job this badly? How is that even possible?

245523934_2167169616766384_2550142255003396446_n.jpg

can you post a pic of the ceilings, there are a few reasons for this happening, could be the new paint isnt bonding to the old paint(painted over grime, water damage, smoke etc)or has been watered down too much and is breaking down or it is garbage paint, a pic will help so I can see exactly what it is doing on the ceiling. Make sure you notify the owner  as well as they may well try to blame you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

can you post a pic of the ceilings, there are a few reasons for this happening, could be the new paint isnt bonding to the old paint(painted over grime, water damage, smoke etc)or has been watered down too much and is breaking down or it is garbage paint, a pic will help so I can see exactly what it is doing on the ceiling. Make sure you notify the owner  as well as they may well try to blame you

See above - any ideas what they did to cause this?

House has been empty for a while and we're the first tenants. We just moved in this month, so they can hardly blame us for anything like that.

7 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

See above - any ideas what they did to cause this?

House has been empty for a while and we're the first tenants. We just moved in this month, so they can hardly blame us for anything like that.

Lots of Thai landlords will blame you for everything, the sooner you inform

them the better...most likely a bad paint job, with cheap paint. or it's snowing ????

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

you can see marks in the paint when using a magnifying glass, problem is with the stucco finish under the new paint, was never washed/cleaned down or sealed before new paint. Years of grime, smoke etc will stop paint from adhering to it as well as cause the new paint to react to it as well, if they used a cheap paint or watered down the paint this will also speed it up. Another cause could be the new paint causing the old paint to react, as the new paint dries it causes the old paint to lose adherence to the surface, had this happen to me several times over 30 years in the trade, this again is caused by the original surface not being clean/dust, grease, smoke free or even the stucco finish not being done properly by lack of preparation, something I see in Thailand a lot, its why I painted our new house and all the new gyprock/dry wall in our other house when it was replaced, thais do not sweep down the gyprock( all the sanded joints/screw heads) before painting which is a main cause for paint letting go. You need to get onto the owner and make sure he acknowkedges the problem now so you cannot be blamed in the future, only way to stop it is to sweep it down with stiff bristled brush/broom to removes as much lose paint as possible then use a penetrating/bonding sealer that will penetrate the paint to seal/bond & hold it all togther but I have never seen this type product over here

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2