Will a non-teaching related Masters degree get a higher salary than a non-teaching related Bachelors degree?

JamesC123

Long story short:

I currently teach in Thailand, having applied for the job/visa using my Bachelor of Science Psychology degree.

I have also studied Biology at Masters level, but I could not pay the tuition fees so I do not legally have the degree until I pay those fees - which I am currently paying in monthly instalments. However, I have the option to take out a bank loan and pay this in one go, but, with loan interest, this will work out more expensive than the monthly payments.

If I can use this Masters degree to get a higher salary, despite the fact it is not related to teaching, then taking out the loan will be worth it. If anyone has any information on this then I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks.

What's a higher salary? I think with some determination you could land a general Science, Biology job in BKK at 55-65k in EP program. It sounds like you'd be very qualified despite not having that core undergrad science foundation (presumably).

There are also odd jobs in BKK at private schools which pay 70-90k.

While far more rare there are a few schools outside BKK in which you might make 55-70k.

Finally, middle tier international schools might pick you up. 55-65k.

I assume you've not taught biology before. Therefore, I think you're looking at 55k first school and then you'll need to jump for bigger money. Having said that you do have some years of experience teaching a d in Thailand as well.

I think job opportunities might be scant. Contact Srinkarinwirot International Program, Assumption International Program, Ekamai International, SISB and TSIS (Sikh), Canadian Intl, Mahidol Wittayasorn in or near BKK. All should start you at 60-70k.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, and I mean I have to say having a master's in biology will make a huge difference in your job prospects.  I can only speak for America, but we have a phobia at times of STEM.  I believe there is such a critical shortage and if this holds for the Westerners in Thailand than your chances to earn money are much improved with that degree in hand.  Off-hand I'd say that I do seem to see a lot of jobs in math and sciences, and don't recall ever seeing a psychology one here.

Plus, I mean you did all the work I'd want the paper as soon as possible myself.  Get the loan and get your degree in hand to improve prospects, my friend.

Also, for what it's worth if you're from the states I would consider looking into an alternative license program to get qualified back home to teach.  Your earning potential goes up significantly once you have that.  I say this because I myself wish I had done mine years earlier.  Best of luck!

You're in luck. STEM's been in demand here for some time.

I have a Master's. Upon mentioning this, eyes lit up and then they always asked "Really? Science, Math?" Nope, just this lowly English language unfortunately.

Many possibilities. Even if it's just bio, they could put you in bio, chem, or general science. They need teachers given the situation.

Yes, after a few years of your Thailand adventure, get your state licence and teach K-12. Rather than 60k baht a month, $60k a year plus retirement. Just don't go to a coastal state. The state I'm going to will recognize the Thai teaching license, then upon taking the Praxis exam, convert it to the state license. That's my plan. Good luck.

Regardless of which degree the OP uses he will still only be teaching with a licence waiver. Thus, only being able to teach for six years.

My advice would be to use the Masters to get a university job teaching BSc Biology. That then negates the need for a teaching licence

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

will recognize the Thai teaching license, then upon taking the Praxis exam, convert it to the state license.

State? Praxis? California? I'd be surprised there's a pile of qualifications for scant money.

That's it? One exam and they hand you a license?

Florida?

Links?

13 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

State? Praxis? California? I'd be surprised there's a pile of qualifications for scant money.

That's it? One exam and they hand you a license?

Florida?

Links?

Midwestern state, take your pick. Not a coastal state. DEFINITELY not California.

Many states require the Praxis. CA instead requires the CBEST. They did however recently scrap this requirement, as they can't get any teachers. As they can't pay the CA rent. Haven't you seen the encampments? It looks like Manila.

Scant salary? $60K is great in the Midwest, especially if you sort out accommodation with family. You'll also get retirement and other benefits, which I'll never see in Thailand. Expect big things to be happening with US K-12 ESL given the various refugee situations. UT particularly has pledged to take the Afghans.

Note the attached pic. Note the neat trick your out of country license does in skipping the other stuff. Heh. You will however also need: 1) Passing the Praxis, 2) Letter of rec from your current school, 3) Degree in your area, 4) No felonies.

The Praxis is tough. Go to ets.org/praxis and find the study guide for your area. Then eventually book a test at one of their centers in BKK. Then send it to your state of choice with the other stuff, and get ready to go home. That is, if/when you've had enough of the LOS. Heh. Cheers.

Screenshot_20211110_081959.jpg

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 1

Sorry to go off topic. I'm not even sure which country the OP is in, haha.

But my point to everyone would be, give your LOS teaching adventure a few years, then eventually return home, bringing your experience with you, to enjoy a higher salary and retirement. Just be sure to choose an area back home with a low cost of living. It might not be your original home, and thus, it'd be a good idea to start talking to fam in other places.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Midwestern state, take your pick. Not a coastal state. DEFINITELY not California.

Many states require the Praxis. CA instead requires the CBEST. They did however recently scrap this requirement, as they can't get any teachers. As they can't pay the CA rent. Haven't you seen the encampments? It looks like Manila.

Scant salary? $60K is great in the Midwest, especially if you sort out accommodation with family. You'll also get retirement and other benefits, which I'll never see in Thailand. Expect big things to be happening with US K-12 ESL given the various refugee situations. UT particularly has pledged to take the Afghans.

Note the attached pic. Note the neat trick your out of country license does in skipping the other stuff. Heh. You will however also need: 1) Passing the Praxis, 2) Letter of rec from your current school, 3) Degree in your area, 4) No felonies.

The Praxis is tough. Go to ets.org/praxis and find the study guide for your area. Then eventually book a test at one of their centers in BKK. Then send it to your state of choice with the other stuff, and get ready to go home. That is, if/when you've had enough of the LOS. Heh. Cheers.

Screenshot_20211110_081959.jpg

I have CBEST 1999 it's nothing like Praxis. It just filters out the absolute morons. I took it without studying and two weeks off the plane from Asia.