Grab taxi/face recognition

RafPinto

Yesterday, I had my 2nd AstraZeneca vaccine.

I thought I would book a Grab to go to the hospital.

Opened Grab on my phone and wanted to book.

Now, a window opened and I had to scan my face.

Was scanning but always timed out.

I got around to skip this.

Booked a taxi and was told 3 min to arrive. The driver was very close but her car was never moving. I sent her a few messages but she never

replied. After 20min, cancelled and booked another one.

• Confused 1

I just opened my Grab App.  There is no request appearing for any type of facial recognition. 
As for the driver’s cancelling.  Just like the person stated above me.  Some will just take the call hoping you cancel.  Then they will get credit for it anyway.  This happened about a year ago to me for about a month.  I became suspicious because the drivers took the call,  but weren’t even near me. I reported them. 

22 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I remember having to do the facial recognition thing with Grab a long time ago, annoyingly when I was in a hurry to get to the airport in the morning. It did work reasonably well though.

Same. I put in my photo 3 years ago when using Grab in Malaysia. It makes sense. The driver recognises you, you recognise driver by car description and photo of the driver that shows up inside your app.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, RafPinto said:

Yesterday, I had my 2nd AstraZeneca vaccine.

I thought I would book a Grab to go to the hospital.

Opened Grab on my phone and wanted to book.

Now, a window opened and I had to scan my face.

Was scanning but always timed out.

I got around to skip this.

Strange... Could it have been your phone using face recognition to log you into your Grab App (as it involves payment from a credit card) ???? and thus a function of the phone security rather than Grab. 

On 10/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, RafPinto said:

Booked a taxi and was told 3 min to arrive. The driver was very close but her car was never moving. I sent her a few messages but she never

replied. After 20min, cancelled and booked another one.

Thats just Thainess... happens all the time. No matter what systems are in place to avoid the flookwittery, a Thai taxi driver will get around it (apologies for the bash, but thats just the way it is). 

‘Back in the day’ when we had Grab and Uber competing - I ordered an Uber and sat there with friends drinking while the driver didn’t move, then the car moved around the area but never came near, then parked up. 

In the end I got bored and used Grab... the driver cancelled after two hours (I was already home). 

As another poster mentioned, I’m not sure but I think its so. The Driver will not know the destination when he accepts the ride, then if the ride is too far out of his way he will not want the ride. 

I’ve had numerous drivers call up right away and ask me to cancel the ride... usually these are the ‘regular taxis’ using the Grab App (Grab Taxi). For this reason I pay the extra for the regular Grab Cab but that doesn’t always prevent the ’Thainess slipping in’... Yet, when in certain areas at night it (Grab) is far more reliable than attempting to get a regular taxi and facing the 300b, 500b attempts to rip you off or the outright ’mai-dai’ when they hear you speaking Thai. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Strange... Could it have been your phone using face recognition to log you into your Grab App (as it involves payment from a credit card) ???? and thus a function of the phone security rather than Grab. 

No.I always pay cash and never have given my CC details. I do not use face recognition.

It came up when I made the booking. Window opened and I accepted to scan my face but was always timed out. After trying 5 times, I got around to book without the face recognition.

Thats just Thainess... happens all the time. No matter what systems are in place to avoid the flookwittery, a Thai taxi driver will get around it (apologies for the bash, but thats just the way it is). 

‘Back in the day’ when we had Grab and Uber competing - I ordered an Uber and sat there with friends drinking while the driver didn’t move, then the car moved around the area but never came near, then parked up. 

In the end I got bored and used Grab... the driver cancelled after two hours (I was already home). 

As another poster mentioned, I’m not sure but I think its so. The Driver will not know the destination when he accepts the ride, then if the ride is too far out of his way he will not want the ride. 

The woman who accepted was just 3 minutes away. Her car never moved and I did send her a few messages and she never replied.  I waited more than 15min. Finally, I canceled to book another driver who came after 2 minutes.

I’ve had numerous drivers call up right away and ask me to cancel the ride... usually these are the ‘regular taxis’ using the Grab App (Grab Taxi). For this reason I pay the extra for the regular Grab Cab but that doesn’t always prevent the ’Thainess slipping in’... Yet, when in certain areas at night it (Grab) is far more reliable than attempting to get a regular taxi and facing the 300b, 500b attempts to rip you off or the outright ’mai-dai’ when they hear you speaking Thai. 

I've just received a message from Grab asking me to verify my identity if I want to use GrabPay Wallet.  It's part of the Know Your Customer requirements and is required by law according to the message.  Could this be a reason for the OP's situation?

• Like 1