I've turned 50 and left my job after a bout of pandemic induced introspection and am currently thinking about Thailand (others as well) as a possible second home. The METV would suit me best, allowing me a stay, return to take care of my mom for four or five months and then back to SEA. The sticking point is that the METV requires a letter of employment which I don't have anymore. I could set up a legal company, do a minimal amount of work and claim self-employment but that seems a little excessive. The "retirement" visa requires a lot of money transfers which I don't want to do given how unsure Thailand is in my future. If the METV is strict about the letter, would I have a problem of flying in two, perhaps three times, per year, for the next two years and staying 30-90 days each time (60day TV and +30 day xt)? I recognize we don't know the future so all I can do is use past experience as a possible guide. Thanks and take care.

Edited by Thai Visa Member 999999
missing important info

17 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

would I have a problem of flying in two, perhaps three times for the next two years and staying 30-90 days each time (60day TV and +30 day xt)? 

No problem.

Also keep in mind that in the future when land borders are open you can do border bounce for visa exempt. Two entries allowed per calendar year and each can be extended by 30 days.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No problem.

Also keep in mind that in the future when land borders are open you can do border bounce for visa exempt. Two entries allowed per calendar year and each can be extended by 30 days.

Thanks for that. I somehow edited out a piece of important info which is that I would like to fly in & out 2-3 times, per year, for the next few years. Not 2-3 times total for the next 24 months. Does that change things? Thanks for the info.

23 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Thanks for that. I somehow edited out a piece of important info which is that I would like to fly in & out 2-3 times, per year, for the next few years. Not 2-3 times total for the next 24 months. Does that change things? Thanks for the info.

Not a problem.

Even if you came 3 times in a year and stayed 90 days each time, you still would have time out of Thailand. 

The problem sometimes arises when folk live in Thailand and do weekend trips to places such as Saigon to obtain ongoing visa exempt entries with extensions along with border bounce. 

Being over 50 it might be suggested that you obtain a non O with extensions.

Doing that using an agent is also an option. With a multi reentry permit you would have no issues at all ongoing. (Best option in my book)

• Like 1

People have used proof they are retired to apply for a METV instead of employment proof.

The Thai embassy in the US is now showing the METV is available again. But not clear yet when you will be able to easily leave and re-enter the country to use it to get a new entry after the first 90 days of total stay ends.

• Like 1