Scholarships

MrBrad

My 12th grader (M6) is planning to attend a university in Bangkok next year.  How does one find out what kinds of financial assistance such as grants and scholarships are possibly available to Thai students?

Think you're out of luck.

As far as I could see financial assistance was granted using the teacher home visit reports made during high school. A white guy or a decent house reported by the teacher = no help at all for the kid. My step-daughter got nothing because of that, even though she wasn't related to me.

One of my pals was an NGO handing out grants to poor kids.

He used to walk around the outside of their house looking for tire tracks.

Having a car/pickup = no grant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, BritManToo said:

Think you're out of luck.

As far as I could see financial assistance was granted using the teacher home visit reports made during high school. A white guy or a decent house reported by the teacher = no help at all for the kid. My step-daughter got nothing because of that, even though she wasn't related to me.

One of my pals was an NGO handing out grants to poor kids.

He used to walk around the outside of their house looking for tire tracks.

Having a car/pickup = no grant.

Incorrect.

Scholarships are available for many students and for many reasons. One does not have to be assumed poor to get help.

Gifted students or those choosing diverse subjects to name but two groups of students who could obtain scholarships.

To the OP...speak to the universities where your 12th grader may wish to study to see what might be available.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thanks 1

The last time I checked Mathayom 6 students faced a bewildering range of tests: ONET, GAT/PAT, NT, entrance tests for specific universities, plus their coursework GPA (grade point average).

The NT test and the GPA were the main criteria for Thai government funded scholarships. And you’ll find that some subjects have higher priority for scholarships than others. And some universities have quotas for entry from different regions.

There are other scholarships available too, for example from the military.

I have no knowledge of how foreign NGO scholarships might work.

The previous advice about contacting the universities your child is interested in is good. I’d add that there is probably someone in your child’s school who could help too.

Edited by blackprince
  • Thanks 1